Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Disney's "Princess Stories" DVDs

Well, apparently the latest "Princess Stories" DVD is horrible, according to some customer reviews.

Does anyone own these videos, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Personally, I'm sick of Disney's overkill on princess stuff.

• All you need is LOVE

Re: Disney's "Princess Stories" DVDs

I am sick of the over kill also.

• A New Kind Of Villain

What they really need to do is release DVD box sets of both 'The Little Mermaid' and 'Aladdin' TV series and not repackage single episodes in this ridiculous 'Disney Princess' DVD fascade.

I mean they've been doing it successfully with all the other Disney Afternoon cartoons... so why not these?
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post

Same here. I'm really thankful my daughter is old enough to be "over" the princess stuff. It was cute for a while, but now it's just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

•   
    • So fetch

Lil LL got a princess stories dvd last Christmas. I hate it but she loves it. It was a gift so I didn't waste my own money on it, thank goodness.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    Well, apparently the latest "Princess Stories" DVD is horrible, according to some customer reviews.

Does anyone own these videos, and if so, what are your thoughts?

My daughters have one that my mom bought for them. I dont think Ive unpacked it since we moved, and Ill keep it that way.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by Sadako View Post
    What they really need to do is release DVD box sets of both 'The Little Mermaid' and 'Aladdin' TV series and not repackage single episodes in this ridiculous 'Disney Princess' DVD fascade.

I mean they've been doing it successfully with all the other Disney Afternoon cartoons... so why not these?
    Aye, I'd second that, say I. (Piratespeak slipped in, sorry)

The main problem with the Disney Princess DVDs is that they are merely compilations of various TV episodes, with some dodgy interstitchals. On the flip side, they are the only way we are getting the 'Aladdin' and 'The Little Mermaid' episodes on DVD at the moment, so I suppose I should be grateful for small mercies.

All that said, it would certainly be a better deal if they could repackage them all as box sets. The main problem I can see there is that we - that is, the adult Disney collector - were never the target audience for these episodes. They are seen to be made for smaller children, presumably pre-teen girls, who only have the attention span for short episodic bursts. (I'm not saying this is true of pre-teen girls, but having reviewed a number of these style of discs now for DVD Bits, I can certainly see a pattern to the marketing mentality).

It is probably only a matter of time before we see them repackaged. 'Gargoyles' was released a test-run before the 'bigger guns' of 'Rescue Rangers' and 'Duck Tales' were unleashed, and ultimately 'Gummi Bears' and 'Tail Spin'. (Not to mention 'Darkwing Duck'). Disney is understandably a bit more protective of the way they market the Princess line. It certainly wouldn't appear that way based on he glut of Princess merchandise, but I can see a certain logic behind waiting to release the 'Aladdin' and 'The Little Mermaid' boxes onto the general public.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks