• Embrace the kitsch!

Thumbs up Walt gets his due!

A British paper ran a nice long article about how Walt gets short shrift as an artist because he was supposedly "too commercial" (read: too successful). The article talks about how he had an edge to his art that most people don't even notice. I've been saying this for years: the happy treatment is what makes it easy to understand and accept the dark side of Disney, and by extension, of life.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/...943014,00.html

I wanted to put this in News, but I can't post to News. Maybe a moderator could move it, if they see fit?

• and too all a good fright

Re: Walt gets his due!

Thanks for posting this great article. I've always been attracted to that darker side of disney. The writer made two comparisons that really struck me --Tim Burton and Dali.

"When Tim Burton does this sort of thing, it's hailed as a gothic subversion of the homeliness of Disney, but Disney subverted himself first. "
    I love Tim Burton (clearly from my avatar) but his work always views the normal (in the eye of the beholder) world as "weird" so his dark characters often seem relatable rather than threatening. Disney often portrayed normal as desirable-- you want the princess to win, you want her to find love...etc. This always made his dark characters seem darker and more threatening.

The fact that the writer attempts to validate Disney's artistic, rather than commercial, vision by citing his work with Dali is pretty interesting. Dali was once accused of allowing others to create forgeries of his own paintings so he could make money. What could be more commercial? Just a thought.

• Sock Puppet

It's a very interesting article and I enjoyed it however the last paragraph sort of ruined it for me. About Mary Poppins the author writes "...I assumed it must have been made by the studio after he died or retired...". Mary Poppins was made two years before Walt's death and, of course, Walt never retired. Walt had a active part in the creation of Mary Poppins and the song "Feed the Birds" was one of his favorites. So, after reading the authors last paragraph it sort of took the steam out of the article for me because the author is actually unaware of the Disney film history. Again I state, I enjoyed the article and agree with it however I did not like the final paragraph.
    Last edited by Magic Mirror; 11-10-2006 at 07:17 AM.

• no flash photography...

I just don't get it. Disney didn't draw anything, not even mickey mouse. Are they talking about his vision? He took other people ideas and improved on them. There is no doubt he was the drving force, but he relied on other poelpes talents to get the job done.

• Creative Director

Actually Walt could draw, and was an artist in his early, early years. He wanted to go to art school I believe, and his father definitely did NOT like the idea at all. His tenure as an actual artist making the art physically was pretty darn short I believe, and thus he became more so the producer/director/creative director that pulled the talents together to create the best work. Yet, his work as the producer and director can be seen as art too. Art isn't just something on a page or canvas. There are artists of ALL sorts in areas of creation and expression that most people don't even think of.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mirror View Post
    So, after reading the authors last paragraph it sort of took the steam out of the article for me because the author is actually unaware of the Disney film history. Again I state, I enjoyed the article and agree with it however I did not like the final paragraph.
    Strangely enough, that's what made it for me. To hear someone who's not a Disney fan, who indeed knows little about Disney history, acknowledge that Walt was a great artist makes the praise even higher.

It's like no matter what you do, your family tells you everything you do is wonderful. When someone with no personal stake praises you that highly, it makes it seem extra special.