•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Marie Antoinette .. my two francs

Just got back from seeing it. Kirsten Dunst did fine for what there was. It seemed to me that no one said a word during the first 15 minutes of the movie. The whole affair was like eating a stale bag of potato chips: flat, boring, and nearly lifeless. The only characters that had any life and dimension were Rip Torn (he played Louis XV) and Marie Antionette's gay hairdresser. Honestly, this movie would have been better if the music was done by ABBA. The dancing scenes would have been much better set to Dancing Queen. If you want a period drama, watch Amadeus. Well, there it is.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Marie Antoinette .. my two francs

She got imprisoned and beheaded by Jacobin radicals for being King Louis wife and attempting to skip out of France during the French Revolution right?

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post

Just got back from seeing it. Kirsten Dunst did fine for what there was. It seemed to me that no one said a word during the first 15 minutes of the movie. The whole affair was like eating a stale bag of potato chips: flat, boring, and nearly lifeless. The only characters that had any life and dimension were Rip Torn (he played Louis XV) and Marie Antionette's gay hairdresser. Honestly, this movie would have been better if the music was done by ABBA. The dancing scenes would have been much better set to Dancing Queen. If you want a period drama, watch Amadeus. Well, there it is.
    Interesting. I've seen the trailers, and it looked.... okay. Glad to know I can skip renting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Actually the movie shows just the very beginnings of the revolution and the Terror. The storming of the Bastille is mentioned, and a brief shot of a crowd with torches and pitchforks at the palace, but that's where it ends. Marie and Louis flee toward Paris in a coach, and the movie ends with a shot of their ransacked bedroom in Versailles. No guillotine. No knitting women. No Scarlet Pumpernickel. The whole thing was an utter disappointment.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Actually the movie shows just the very beginnings of the revolution and the Terror. The storming of the Bastille is mentioned, and a brief shot of a crowd with torches and pitchforks at the palace, but that's where it ends. Marie and Louis flee toward Paris in a coach, and the movie ends with a shot of their ransacked bedroom in Versailles. No guillotine. No knitting women. No Scarlet Pumpernickel. The whole thing was an utter disappointment.
    Oh yes, I forgot Louis the 16th was king during the uprising at the Bastille also.

• I'm your huckleberry.

That is somewhat disappointing, but I can understand them leaving that part out because it's supposed to be Marie's story, and how she became who she was. Did they at least cover ther part with her dressing up like Little Bo Peep and frolicking with her groomsment at Versailles????

It's the Scarlet Pimpernel, FWIW.

Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

The movie focused on her vices and difficulties with her husband. Lots of scenes of parties, and food, and shoes. I swear, half the movie is close-ups of dishes of food and shoes in boxes. And did I mention I was the only one in the theater? It was fun to provide my own MST3K commentary.

• I'm your huckleberry.

It was fun to provide my own MST3K commentary.
    Perhaps the best way to watch a movie!

It's too bad they didn't do more with this film. It had potential as MA's story could be very compelling if told correctly.

• my two sunshines

I read about MA after I heard about this movie - this is a great Drama if it were done right - MA was a young child being married off by a domineering mother - she was stripped of all clothes, friends and things as she walked through to France to meet her new husband, also a child (did they at least have that???) She was a frivolous teenager, with all the money and everything at her feet who wouldn't be - she did what all teens and young adults do with tons of money and no one to say no (can we all say Paris Hilton?????) - but it was after her husband got an operation (as to why they never consumated thier marriage) is when she got pregnant (I believe 4 children) and she grew into motherhood and a very good Queen.

If there was a REAL movie about MA - it would show that the king and queen should NOT have been murdered, that maybe excommunicated and sent away with family but to be killed for what was done too many years before - well it's history and again would make one GREAT movie - if done right

• Man O Lantern

I don't plan to see the movie (I might when it goes to a pub theater for $3), but the soundtrack sounds amazing! I want it for Christmas. Badly. Actually, I might buy it for my daughter, two birds, one stone and all that.

http://www.amazon.com/Marie-Antoinet...4651218#disc_1