Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Critics Say Broadway Mary Poppins No Tonic

NYT: >>She glides through the skies like an umbrella-powered stealth bomber, ever ready to dump her cargo of good advice on unsuspecting households. When she touches ground, on the stage of the New Amsterdam Theater, you can’t help noticing that while she looks like Joan Crawford trying to be nice, she sounds more like Dr. Phil.

Well, it took ’em long enough, didn’t it? I mean, it’s been two years since that reality series first appeared on the Fox network, the one in which stern British women shake up and shape up clueless parents with hopeless children. But it wasn’t until last night that “Nanny 911: The Musical” finally opened on Broadway.

Oops; my apologies. The correct title of the handsome, homily-packed and rather tedious show at the New Amsterdam is “Mary Poppins.” But I think my confusion is understandable. Though based on the classic fantasy book series by P. L. Travers and the 1964 Disney movie it inspired, this megamusical is ultimately less concerned with inexplicable magic than with practical psychology. (More...)<<

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2006/11/...598&ei=5087%0A

• Minion

Re: Critics Say Broadway Mary Poppins No Tonic

Washington Post: >>Up, up and away the young lady with the umbrella drifts, like a leaf stolen by an autumn gust. Watching her float into ever-thinner air in the last seconds of the new stage version of "Mary Poppins," you're acquainted once again with Disney's singular brand of painstaking wizardry.

Yet as Mary levitates to meet the eyes of ticket holders in the upper balcony of the New Amsterdam Theatre, where "Mary Poppins" opened Thursday night, you might be surprised to find yourself wondering: Why do so few other moments in this lavish show make us feel that we're on a particularly jolly holiday? (More...)<<

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...111601844.html

• Minion

>>The Sherman songs receive featured treatment, and Eyre and Bourne try hard to make them big, soaring numbers. But the results tend more to the genial; they barely get off the ground.

"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" has been set, rather confusingly, in a "talking shop," presided over by a woman whose accent flip-flops oddly between Irish and Caribbean. The number builds to what is intended as a riotous finish, with the characters, as they sing, rapidly shaping the letters of the title with their hands and arms. You appreciate the dexterity, but the idea has no oomph.

As a replacement for the film's enchanting cartoon sequence for "Jolly Holiday," the scene has been shifted to a park, with dancing statues. Another shrug. "Spoonful of Sugar" is switched from its cozy spot in the children's bedroom to the kitchen, principally, it seems, to allow for a visual joke of a kitchen table and a shelf of dishes collapsing, only to be miraculously restored by Mary's magical powers. You feel unappreciative not to be floored by the stunt. "Let's Go Fly a Kite," the movie's perfect ending as a musical statement of its message, has been stuck for some reason in the middle of the show.

At the end of "Mary Poppins," the itinerant nanny, having brought about the ideal of family togetherness, flies away, high up over the balcony, before disappearing from sight. It's a nice effect, but there was hardly an ooh or an aah in the house. (More...)<<

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3

• white and nerdy

Ohhh...... Slam slam and slam

But if I did what the critics told me to do I wouldn't have seen more than half of my favorite movies, books and plays.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Banned User

I saw the previews, I did not like it. I just want to remember the real marry poppins, and that will always be Julie Andrews.

• Minion

I fear they have strayed much too far from Walt Disney's vision of the story. If there was ever a movie fit to stage just as is, it was Walt Disney's Mary Poppins - - no reconceiving the subtext and tone necessary, just let the Shermans fill it out. But they took the "rethink, bait & switch" route instead...

• Senior Minion

I agree with Karla. To me, Julie Andrews will always be Mary Poppins. She was her and made her so magical as we all remember her.
    It's sad how much they seemed to have strayed from the masterpiece that was the film. It almost ruins the charm.
    Any idea if the books were like the play at all?
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Why do you keep talking?

I'm 87% sure the idea was to be more like the books and less like the film (hence the dancing statues in the park) and everything I've seen from it has been great and I'm sure when I can actually get out there oine day, I'll definitely love it.

opinions are liek *******, everyone has one. Just some are paid to give us their ****
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

You have the same idea as I do Hector.

And as much as I love Disney's version and Julie Andrews, it is wonderful to see a production take to heart Traver's vision.
    I hate to see that slammed. After all, without it, you would never have had the version you seem to like.

I loved the stage production! It was nice to see another take, one closer to the author's intent. I still love the Disney film too.

To each their own...

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    I saw the previews, I did not like it. I just want to remember the real marry poppins, and that will always be Julie Andrews.
    When did you see it Karla? I know they were working through some kinks during previews up til opening night.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    At the end of "Mary Poppins," the itinerant nanny, having brought about the ideal of family togetherness, flies away, high up over the balcony, before disappearing from sight. It's a nice effect, but there was hardly an ooh or an aah in the house. (More...)<<

Unless you were at last Saturday's matinee where Ashley Brown didn't quite seem to defy gravity. She tried to take off, but they had to pull her back for some reason. Thanks for confirming what I thought was supposed to happen. I hope they got it fixed for the opening on Thursday.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

it looks amazing from what I've seen, probably not as good as the london production. The thing we must remember, this show is NOT a disney show, as far as I know it's put on by other people, and is based mainly on the books.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

I would see this play in a heart beat.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    it looks amazing from what I've seen, probably not as good as the london production. The thing we must remember, this show is NOT a disney show, as far as I know it's put on by other people, and is based mainly on the books.
    Yes, it is based a lot on the books. However, there was some dialogue from the film in the stage production verbatim. I could actually quote along for a few lines here and there. Some songs from the film are deleted, some retained, and there are some new ones.

Remember...P.L. Travers wasn't exactly happy with the final product of the film. She wanted some changes that Walt Disney refused to do.

And I'm kinda curious when/if this will tour the USA, how they are going to do it. The set for the house alone is flippin' huge and takes up the entire stage at the New Amsterdam Theatre.
    Amanda

• Minion

>>After all, without it, you would never have had the version you seem to like.<<

I'm all for new interpretations of classics in other media, but then don't rewrite and recontextualize the Shermans songs and pretend its the Disney version, because it isn't. Do an all-new show so it can be differentiated by the public.

The hybrid is a problem. For me it's a question of tone, subtext and the whole point-of-view of this show - - it isn't the Disneyesque vision, yet it contains and changes that material. And despite the widely planted PR articles, I think this interpretation has far less to do with PL Travers and more to do with the creators at Disney Theatricals and their own agendas. They are hiding behind Pamela's ghost.

And I just would like to have seen the Shermans stage their version, Walt's version. It would have been fun. Maybe they'll do it at the theme parks someday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast