• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Comcast buys Disney's stake in E! Networks for $1.23 bln - MarketWatch, 11/21/06

MarketWatch, 11/21/06
    Comcast buys Disney's stake in E! Networks for $1.23 bln

By Ana Campoy
    Last Update: 5:24 PM ET Nov 21, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Comcast Corp. and Walt Disney Co. late Tuesday said Comcast has acquired Disney's 39.5% ownership stake in E! Networks for $1.23 billion and now fully owns the entertainment news network. The two companies also said they have signed long-term distribution agreements that will extend their relationship for the 10 ABC-owned broadcast television stations and other Disney networks. Additionally, the companies formalized their ESPN2 HD agreement and said Comcast will launch ESPN Deportes, a stand-alone Spanish-language sports network. Comcast and Disney have also agreed to add primetime television programs, cable network shows and Disney movies to Comcast's On Demand service.
    Full Story: Comcast buys Disney's stake in E! Networks for $1.23 bln

Walt Disney Company Press Release (via MarketWatch)

•   
    • Minion

Comcast buys Disney's stake in E! Networks for $1.23 bln - CBSMarketWatch 11/21/06

CBSMarketWatch 11/21/06

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Comcast Corp. and Walt Disney Co. Walt Disney Company late Tuesday said Comcast has acquired Disney's 39.5% ownership stake in E! Networks for $1.23 billion and now fully owns the entertainment news network. The two companies also said they have signed long-term distribution agreements that will extend their relationship for the 10 ABC-owned broadcast television stations and other Disney networks. Additionally, the companies formalized their ESPN2 HD agreement and said Comcast will launch ESPN Deportes, a stand-alone Spanish-language sports network. Comcast and Disney have also agreed to add primetime television programs, cable network shows and Disney movies to Comcast's On Demand service
    Check out my other blog:

• I was deleted.

Re: Comcast buys Disney's stake in E! Networks for $1.23 bln - MarketWatch, 11/21/06

Oh I do not like this news...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Comcast buys Disney's stake in E! Networks for $1.23 bln - MarketWatch, 11/21/06

What's not to like? After Comcast's failed takeover of Disney a while back, this sounds like a win-win. Disney gets a chunk of cash for an entertainment network they weren't that involved with, plus another huge outlet to deliver their content through. In return, Comcast gets a popular cable channel, plus a wealth of media content for their on-demand service.

This is a great deal for both companies.
    Last edited by disneytim; 11-21-2006 at 03:51 PM.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    What's not to like? After Comcast's failed takeover of Disney a while back, this sounds like a win-win. Disney gets a chunk of cash for an entertainment network they weren't that involved with, plus another huge outlet to deliver their content through. In return, Comcast gets a popular cable channel, plus a wealth of media content for their on-demand service.

This is a great deal for both companies.
    Yes, but from marketing the WDWCP, having "E!" on there helps as an outlet that college students know of... and for other reasons. I'm aware that they failed to take over Disney, I was at Disneyland when the papers at our hotel were talking about that. Anyway, I'm sure this will have some positive impact for Disney beyond just money. (Or so we can help?)

• Head Postmaster of Random

In a lay-z boy licking stamps and slaping minions...

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    Yes, but from marketing the WDWCP, having "E!" on there helps as an outlet that college students know of... and for other reasons. I'm aware that they failed to take over Disney, I was at Disneyland when the papers at our hotel were talking about that. Anyway, I'm sure this will have some positive impact for Disney beyond just money. (Or so we can help?)
    im with you on the hoping....but i dunoo prolly just a better outlet for disney content as if they needed it...lol but lordy mee thats a lot of money can i just have like 1%... .5%??
    "Permane Ser Sentados Por Favor"
    "Watch out for anything that ssssslliittherzzz"
    "Launch control, LV....Go ahead....All video recorders off."

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm glad that you have an interest concerning postal delivery, mousephreak. We've needed better mail service for some time now. Therefore, with the power vested in me it is of great delight that I dub thee, Head Post Office Dude of Random. Arrise and start licking those stamps! We're backed up, and time is money.
    If you won the lottery what would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Buy a bunch of monkeys and have them re-enact the Civil War for my amusement.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    Of course it's about the money. That's why corporations do business. But the bigger picture is how Disney now has a very cozy relationship with one of the biggest cable carriers in the US.

Disney learned a valuable lesson in their recent debacle with Mobile ESPN. They're not in the business of running communications networks. Their strength is in providing content, and they're proving to be an industry leader in broadband delivery. Just look at the success they're having streaming ABC and Disney Channel programming online. The deal with Comcast will only build on that, especially as the line between TV and online entertainment continues to blur.

I know WDWCP is near and dear to your heart, but it's barely a blip on the radar screen when you look at the scope of this deal. Disney's presence on E! may be reduced because they don't have a stake in it anymore, but I'm pretty sure they'll still be able to market WDWCP. There's a little thing called the Internet that college students know of too.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    I know WDWCP is near and dear to your heart, but it's barely a blip on the radar screen when you look at the scope of this deal. Disney's presence on E! may be reduced because they don't have a stake in it anymore, but I'm pretty sure they'll still be able to market WDWCP. There's a little thing called the Internet that college students know of too.
    Yes, I am aware that they can market the WDWCP without "E!," Tim. (I just have to be careful to stick with ABC, ESPN and others instead of those three I usually list.) Thank you for sharing more. Just that enough will help give me something to say as "the official Disney response" of Disney media news that my journalism professor will ask of me when we discuss this on tuesday. Sad, but true how I have labled myself that way, but forgive me for correcting things like "Bob Iger is Disney's CEO now as of Oct 1, 2005, not Michael Eisner," since the book is a little older, etc.

Disney also learned while they might be great at moving merchandise at Parks and Resorts (some more than others, of course!) they aren't the best retailers - as they also sold The Disney Store a few years back. Lessons learned and Disney has grown since it. So I guess I can compare it to that. Thanks again Tim.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

The E! money is just a drop in the bucket. When you consider how much Disney paid for PIXAR in an attempt to reinforce its brand, it makes sense for Disney to unload a non-core product like E!, that doesn't really contribute to Disney's core responsibilities or profit.

Seems like a good move to me.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Married and happy again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    The E! money is just a drop in the bucket. When you consider how much Disney paid for PIXAR in an attempt to reinforce its brand, it makes sense for Disney to unload a non-core product like E!, that doesn't really contribute to Disney's core responsibilities or profit.

Exactly what Dusty said.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post

Considering that the PIXAR deal was for the most part a stock deal... There is a question wether or not PIXAR deal was an over payment by Disney...

In some ways I think PIXAR was purposefully over valued in the deal, I am not going to fight it of course, because I believe that the stockholders really did get something they wanted REAL BAD and in the long run it was worth the extra bucks to buy em out... 1. Steve Jobs on the Board of Directors (Read access to Apple Computer's and Ipod's marketing capacity). 2. John Lasseter as Chief Creative Officer. 3. An end of cheap sequels which undermind both the Disney and Pixar brand. And 4. Full Disney control of Pixar library: past, present and future. The value of this alone is bigger than what Pixar is worth.

E! is just a network... And Disney's share is (er... was) only a percentage of it...

The big part of the deal though was the On Demand agreement that was signed, basically allowing the Comcast Machine to download essencially pay perview content on demand for a very low price per perchace too... That was HUGE... E! I think was just one part of the deal...
    Check out my other blog: