Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

I wanted to applaud everyone here for respecting everybody else's opinion. Micechatters ROCK!!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Space Mountain Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    I wanted to applaud everyone here for respecting everybody else's opinion. Micechatters ROCK!!
    me as well...
    however, It kills me that sooo many of you didn't like this movie. As for me, I thought it wrapped up the prequels brilliantly. I thought it was a powerful movie with an even more powerful message...
    Beware of the darkside in life because it is sneaky and sly and will manipulate you with what you value most.
    I think that's a life lesson that Lucas nailed perfectly.
    Bravo to George for spending the last 30 years of his life bringing us the Star Wars saga!!!!
    I only hope we never lose sight of one thing... that it was all started by a mouse!

the world of disneyking

• e komo mai

Oh my. I go away for the weekend and look what happens. All these posts! I have a lot to read! Give me time, I'll read 'em all!

And I second that Micechatters rock. Very respectful crew we got here.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries
    The more I think about Ep. 3, the more I like it. I think. I didn't not like it. (I think I need another cup of coffee, suddenly I'm not feeling particularly well-spoken this morning!)

I saw part of Ep. 2 the other night and saw the part where Anakin goes back to try to save his mom. He promises her that she won't die, but she does. So I think when he has the dreams about Padme, that really freaks him out, having lost his own mom. So yeah, he did it for a girl, but there were some weird psychological implications there for him.

The politics are all much more clear for me now. We watched Ep. 1 last night and I kept stopping the dvd to point out significant moments to my husband, the foreshadowing, etc.

So putting Ep.3 into the context of the others made it seem better. I hope to have the whole series watched again this week.
    A signature should go here.

• off in lala land

Watching ep 1-3 as a whole and the story within (politics, Anikins transformation) makes sense. It's a story and it flows. I know a lot of people have qualms about the CGI, acting, etc, but in the original, ep 4-6, it was horrible acting. Special effects at that time were the best they could be for that time.

I enjoyed the whole story, all 6 movies. Ep 3 provided closure for me. I have nostalgic feelings for ep 4-6 and it takes me back to my childhood, and as cheesy as it was, I loved it. Ep 1-3 does not compare, I don't get a nostalgic feeling, but I do get the story that was told on the grand scale.
    ...it's been a long time.

• Social Imagineer

Heh, I watched Episodes I and II in the last few days, also. Just pointed out to me what a crap film Episode III is to make a dog like Phantom Menace look good by comparison.

• IZTUAZU!!!

Ok, I'll keep mine short.

IV=Good,V=Great,VI=Good,I=Bad (Except for last 30 minutes),II=Horrible.

Now, for Episode III, as usual, bad acting, personally the CGI looked more like a video game than a movie, but the best part was...

Spoiler
    Hayden Christensen getting his legs cut off and burning alive. :devil:
    J.B. Opie

"Doubt is the rust of a feeble mind. The only way to seize the future is to grasp the present. Let's Go!"

-Chairman Clench, Alien Encounter

• Reaver of Souls

I've refrained from making comments until now because I wanted to give it a chance to simmer down, sink in, and let me think. I had a DVD of the movie last Monday, so I saw it before it hit most theatres, and I was hoping the version I had wasn't the final, and that there were parts/effects left out. I was wrong, and am more disappointed than I would have been otherwise.

My main complaint with this movie - too fast. Ep 1 & 2 should have been combined into one movie, and this one split into two. Another hour or so would have been fine.

I don't mind the violence or the pure nastiness of Anakin once he turned, but I would have liked to have seen more of the struggle. More of Anakin fighting to be the Jedi he wanted to be. More of the good Anakin that Lucas tried to paint, but didn't give the chance to be explored. I never pictured his turn as quickly as turning a switch, which is how it seemed in this movie. In one scene Anakin has a saber at Palpatine's throat, threatening o turn him over to the Council, the next he's cutting off Windu's hand to save him, and pledging his life to the dark side. Huh? Did I miss a month or two somewhere? Time was supposed to pass in the film, but we had no real sense of it.

Lucas never ceases to amaze in his complete disregard for consistency, either. Buzz droids are on Obi Wan's ship - little, tiny droids - and yet he can't throw them off with the force? This is the same Obi Wan who tosses Grievous 100 yards into the air with the force later on in the movie? Anakin manages to kill Dooku when Dooku holds his own against a far more powerful and experienced Yoda? And that's just the tip of the huge continuity error iceberg. Wiping C3P0's memory? Cheap and cheezy. Contacting Qui Gon? Silly. FrankenVader? Horrible.

All that being said, it's still pretty good. The best of the prequils by far. It still ranks behind Empire and Jedi in my opinion, but I did enjoy the movie. Most of the acting was far better than the previous two, with Ewan McGregor, Ian McDiarmid and Natalie Portman as noticable stand-outs. Hayden Christensen, who I honestly don't mind, was still a bit too whiny for my tastes. Even as Vader. I guess Luke had to get it somewhere...

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being best, I give this a 7. And considering there's no such thing as a 10 in my opinion (perfection being impossible), that's not bad. But still, it's sad to leave the theatre more excited about Narnia than the movie you just saw. Especially when it's a Star Wars film.

I'd like to hope that Lucas would release a Director's Cut DVD (with 30-45 min of extra footage), but since he hasn't done that with any of the others, I'm not holding my breath...

I've enjoyed the story, and am glad to have heard it all now, I'm just sad it wasn't as good as it could have been. Thanks for the years of Star Wars, though, George. The legend will never die. And may the Force truly be with us all...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Puppy Cuddles

Reaver, as for your hope of a director's cut, I think that Lucas would argue the special editions are just that. The *******.

I just wanted to mention that from everything I've heard, A LOT was cut from this film. Like I said before, all of Mon Mothma's scenes were cut. And I know that I've seen pictures of Liam Neeson all glowy like a force ghost, so I'm prety sure he had some scenes too. The whole deal with contacting Qui GOn was supposed to have a much more involved explanation because it was setting up that Jedi can contact other Jedi after death. This makes it easier for Ben to sacrifice himself because he knows that he can contact Luke anyway.

And I don't know how many of you read the novelization (actually I didn't but a friend told me about this), but there's one exchange that I would have wanted left in because it extends Ewan's smart-assery that I loved soo much.

Paraphrasing:

Grievous: I have been trained in the Jedi fighting style by the formidable Darth Tyrannus.

Obi: You mean Count Dooku? That's funny, because I trained the man who killed him.
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Small Panda After All
    Reaver, as for your hope of a director's cut, I think that Lucas would argue the special editions are just that. The *******.
    Ugh. Don't even say that. Of course, anything he adds to the prequils will at least look like it belongs in the prequils, unlike the added materials in Episodes 4-6...

I just wanted to mention that from everything I've heard, A LOT was cut from this film. Like I said before, all of Mon Mothma's scenes were cut. And I know that I've seen pictures of Liam Neeson all glowy like a force ghost, so I'm prety sure he had some scenes too. The whole deal with contacting Qui GOn was supposed to have a much more involved explanation because it was setting up that Jedi can contact other Jedi after death. This makes it easier for Ben to sacrifice himself because he knows that he can contact Luke anyway.
    That would have been an interesting addition. I'd have been happy to see that addded... But that brings up the question - if it takes training and practice to achieve this return from death in the Force, how does Anakin achieve it at the end of Jedi? I doubt he did much training in the last few minutes between killing Sidious and his own death...

And I don't know how many of you read the novelization (actually I didn't but a friend told me about this), but there's one exchange that I would have wanted left in because it extends Ewan's smart-assery that I loved soo much.

Paraphrasing:

Grievous: I have been trained in the Jedi fighting style by the formidable Darth Tyrannus.

Obi: You mean Count Dooku? That's funny, because I trained the man who killed him.
    That would have been funny. Grievous was a huge disappointment to me. Such a great villian idea/design that turned into such a wuss of a villian. Bah.

• Puppy Cuddles

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    That would have been an interesting addition. I'd have been happy to see that addded... But that brings up the question - if it takes training and practice to achieve this return from death in the Force, how does Anakin achieve it at the end of Jedi? I doubt he did much training in the last few minutes between killing Sidious and his own death...
    Good point. Maybe he learned it on the other side from Obi Wan...oh I don't know...PLOT HOLE ALERT!!! Bf surprise, right? Or he could have very well learned it as Vader. I mean, it seems very Sith-like to not be forthcoming about all you know in order to maitain some kind of edge over others. I guess we won't know until we actually see a cut scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    That would have been funny. Grievous was a huge disappointment to me. Such a great villian idea/design that turned into such a wuss of a villian. Bah.
    I really expected a little more from him too. Don't get me wrong, I don't really agree with you that the guy's a wuss, but Lucas really depended on outside material for characterization. In the Clone Wars cartoons his fearsomeness is fairly well-developed and you get why people fear him and why he is such a threat. After the cartoon series, you're itching for the knock-down, drag out fight between him and Obi. I really recommend renting the cartoons. Each episode is only a few minutes long and it helps to set up the third movie.

Before you say that Lucas should have set up the third movie in the secondmovie, or at the very least in the third movie, I totally agree. He copped out. I still think that if taken in the context of a total saga (including outside works like novels and the cartoons), the third movie was a well-done piece of work.
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Yeah. The third film is the most intense of the current trilogy.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Dah dum - dah dah dum - dah dah dum -dah dah dum.
    Luke...Leia... Who's your daddy?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries
    Just got back from seeing it. Too tired to write a full review.

It was good. I deliberately lowered my expectations to the bottom of the barrel so that anything I did see would be great in comparison. Honestly though, I thought it moved along much better than the GOD AWFUL previous two prequels. The storyline was laid out in a much more logical, driven way. Palpatine was delicious, and almost had me convinced that the dark side was the way to go. The best villian is the one you can relate to.

The ORIGINAL TRILOGY still owns. But this wasn't half bad.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Reaver of Souls

The thing about Star wars that I always laugh at is that they have the ability to make these effects so incredible that you almost believe they are real (well, except for when it comes to lava surfing, anyway...), and yet they ignore such common sense things that ruin said effects.

Case in point: any type of motorcycle-esque vehicle. Take any scene, from any of the movies - Jedi, Menace, Clones, whatever, and you see people riding these vehicles, we'll use Dooku from Clones for my example. When the clone troops start winning the battle, he hops on his swoop bike and heads for the hangar with his ship, on his way to Sidious on Coruscant. He's moving at, say, 180-200 mph as a guess (I've done 120 on a motorcycle, and it was nowhere close to as fast as he was moving), and yet his hair hardly blows, his cloak merely flaps out behind him a bit, and never once does he show that there is even wind on his face...

Now maybe I'm just being picky here, because I ride on a regular basis, but I've been on the freeway at 70-80 with a trenchcoat on, and no helmet, and I can say that without any eye protection, flying through a desert (with a good amount of sand flying around), it would be difficult to keep your eyes open due to the wind, and if you did manage to keep them open, do you know what a grain of sand would do to your eye at 200 mph? Splat. Your hair would be straight back, and anything as loose and long as a cloak would most likely be bunched up against your back. The wind forces it there as it wraps around your body at high speed, and creates a small area against your back that is just slightly windy. Unless your cloak os lead-lined, there's no way it would be flapping like that at speeds greater than 40 mph or so. Not to mention how Maul's hood stays up in Ep 1 when he's on his funky swoop bike. Just silly. They have this amazing anti-grav, high-speed technology, and yet no one has windscreens? Come on, Lucas, make some sense...

• Puppy Cuddles

Now if we're talking about that sort of thing, Reaver, and if we're talking about Clones, I have to add one thing. OK Padme falls out of the troop transport thing and rolls a good twenty feet through the dirt. But when she stands up there is not a speck of dirt on her *white* outfit. There's not any blood on it from when she was clawed in the back. Not a single hair is out of place and she just went head to head with a big ol' cat thing in an arena death match. I don't know if Lucas was trying to imply some sort of purity with this, but I'dve liked to see Padme get down and dirty, cuz it was obviously her last chance. By the end of Sith, she was such a wuss that I thought Anakin put her out of her misery.