Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• Puppy Cuddles

Okay, this is a pet peeve of mine, Disneynut. Can I simply request that you watch the original trilogy again without the rose-colored glasses this time? cstephens already sort of said this, but George Lucas can't write. The only orginal movie that had good dialog was Empire...the one he didn't write.

And the only reason that technology was limited in the first trilogy was because they were made thirty years ago. The fact that Lucas has completely remastered these in both Special Edition and later DVD formats proves that technology can improve them. Now don't start on the added scenes. I'm not defending Greedo shooting first (though I liked the edition of Jabba and Biggs in Ep. 4.), but the fact that there's no black line around the rancor anymore makes my heart happy.

Okay, now I loved this movie and I read some really bad reviews of it before I went in. I thought Hayden Christensen actually did a fairly good job on the acting in this movie. I mean it wasn't supposed to be Shakespeare people. Ewan was fantabulous...the smart-assery was the perfect touch. Natalie Portman was not my favorite and I cringed at most of her lines. She was a badass in the first two movies and now she's a simpering ninny. My only real complaint. Heck, I would have choked her. Ian McDirmid (sp?) was slimy and perfect. Yes I missed puppet Yoda in Clones, but the range of emotions that CGI Yoda possed made up for it. I hated Lord of the Rings, but thank God for Gollum because Yoda really seemed so real to me. Especially when he simply collapsed on Kashyyk. And Mace Windu was one bad mother (shut yo' mouth).

This movie was everything it was supposed to be. It was a movie in every sense of the word. How can you hate a movie with FIVE LIGHTSABER DUELS?!?!?!?!?!?!

P.S. Artoo is the coolest character ever! I am naming my next dog after him.
    Last edited by Small Panda After All; 05-20-2005 at 07:52 AM.
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

• Hiding from the Sheeple

I agree that these movies are made to appeal to a group and not to win awards for best performance. I also think the underlying story was good. My argument would simply be the excessive use (in the movie) of the technology his company has developed. Just because I own a Ferrari does not mean I have to drive 100 MPH at every moment. The first films, even when added to years later have real sets, characters that feel real and have action at certain intervals keeping you interested. Maybe it is just me, but the large amount of CGI turned me off. As always, just my opinion.
    Last edited by Disneynut; 05-19-2005 at 12:16 PM.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    I enjoyed it- but I agree there were huge plot holes and the sense of time passing was very flawed (she carries twins to full term in what seems like a few weeks :confused: )

And maybe I am dense, but the whole idea of the seperatist movement has always confused me- I think the main problem with the first trilogy is that Lucas tried to define terms he had left pleasantly vague in the second triology (empire= bad, we don't care why, rebels=good, politics be damned) Also, by limiting the Force to a number of midiclorians, it became too technical and less mystical. The dialogue was horribly chessy, I admit, and it really bugged my that Padme had nothing to do in this movie- am I suppossed to believe that she was one of the fiercest warriors in the first two and now all of the sudden she is content to sit at home and look out the windows?

Nitpicking aside, I stand by my original review- I did enjoy it and I think Ewan Macgregor was amazing as Obi-Wan- he fully realized the character and I loved his performance. I thought Hayden Christianson wasn't bad either- he played a tortured and confused Anakin very well and I could see why he made the decisions he did. Oh yeah, and R2-D2 and other robots in the film brought a lot of fun to the movie and it really needed it.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Social Imagineer

What a piece of junk!

• Minion

Probably the worst review of the film to appear in print at this point in time...and well written.

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/cin...523crci_cinema

• Circle of Ancients

I did like the movie, it was certainly the best of the new trilogy.

There are some problems with it though.

After Anakin becomes Vader he's still a wussy. Some of the dialogue, again Vaders NOOOOOOO! What's up with that? That annoying lizard thing that Obi-Wan was riding. It was annoying the heck out of me.

It had some awesome things:

Obi-Wan Vs. General Greivous. Yoda Vs. the Emporer. Obi-Wan Vs. Darth Vader, which was everything it should have been.

I still want more of the Clone wars though. Guess I will have to see the Cartoons of the Clone Wars now.

Going to take the kids to see it on Sunday since quite honestly there is only 1 or 2 small instances that are questionable for kids under 13. Should have been rated PG IMO.

• Love!

Quote Originally Posted by innerSpaceman
    What a piece of junk!
    Tell me more. Testify!

I was rather impressed with the film. Yes, the dialogue is very stale, but at this point, I think people have already figured out that Lucas can't write for beans.

That aside, I think it did a really good job tying up this trilogy with the original trilogy. I really like a lot of the parallels that were drawn between Anakin/Palpatine and Luke/Vader/Emporer in RotJ. I loved watching Palpatine in this film. The way he persuades Anakin to go to the Dark Side really gave me goosebumps. His and Obi Wan's performances were the most powerful in the film. In all seriousness, watching Anakin go though his transformation into Vader really makes watching the whole film worth it. I knew what would happen, but it still blew me away.

The only major dissapointment I had was they way they portrayed General Grievous... I mean, here you have the potential of having another great rogue character like Boba Fett or Darth Maul, but he was a total letdown.

• I Hug My Tapirs

I thought it was easily the best of the prequels. Very dark (which was to be expected) but I think it worked this time. There were definitely a few cheeseball moments that have already been mentioned, and the whole theater busted out laughing at those points. Artoo was great, though. Remind me not to piss him off! I loved watching Anakin's transformation, and all the little things that led up to his final switch to the Dark Side.

On the acting side, Natalie Portman's acting was awful. IMHO Hayden did a better job this time, though, he pulled off that angst well.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

I wasn't all that hyped about seeing it, but for some reason I played impromtu hookie today for a couple hours and just left my office to go see it this morning.

The first hour was slow. I thought the opening battle scene had a lot of imagination with the various types of droids and some OK special effects, but that was about all that impressed me early on.

Every scene between Anakin and Padme was beyond bad (the last one wasn't too bad). Mind numbingly bad.

It wasn't until Mace Windu and the other three jedi confront Palpatine that I found myself really interested. I thought the guy playing Palpatine was the best actor of the bunch and actually didn't think his dialogue was that bad, and McGregor did a pretty good job, too.

I enjoyed Yoda vs. Sidious and Obi-wan vs. Vader. I wasn't too impressed with Obi-wan vs. Grievous.

There were many, many plot holes and things that bugged me. Too many to list.

So while I mostly enjoyed it and don't consider myself a critic in the least, I don't think it deserves the hype it's getting beyond the fact that it is the last installment of what was a groundbreaking first movie in Star Wars. But it's something you gotta see if you've seen the others. It's certainly the best of the three prequels, but nothing worth seeing again and again.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries
    SQUEEEEEEEEE! Just got back from seeing the movie, and I freaking loved it. My standards for entertainment are notoriously low, but I am so satisfied. And oh my God, Darth Vader is such a bad, bad man. And I LOVE HIM.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• ...the legend

Blog Entries
    Yeah, the dialogue sucked. Ewan is as fine an actor I've ever seen and...he just didn't do it for me in this one. Except when he's yelling at the stump of Anakin ("You were the chosen one!! You were supposed to bring balance to the Force; not darkness!) Speaking of, that was the most intense scene ever. Watching Anakin's fall....I was a blubbering idiot. I was left feeling heartbroken after that. Enough to make a bad girl turn to the light side...
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennidisneyfer
    Except when he's yelling at the stump of Anakin ("You were the chosen one!! You were supposed to bring balance to the Force; not darkness!)
    I thought Ewan was great the whole movie, but especially at that point. It was so intense, it really made you feel the emotion of the scene.

One line that many people will probably fine corny and stale is one of my favourites.

Padme: I promise you I won't die in child birth.
    Anakin: No I promise you.

I really liked the line, and it really showed how much Anakin loved padme at that point.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• U. B. Bold

Just got back from the flick and I must say that I enjoyed it very much for what it was. That is, I didn't go in expecting Hamlet and I was not dissapointed. GL proved once again that he is far better at directing (and writing for) special effects shots than he is for living, breathing actors. All in all, I agree that it was better than EPI and EPII and a fine addition to the series.

R2D2 still remains the best actor in all of the Star Wars films and I was very happy to see him get to kick some butt in this one.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• insufferable know-it-all

There were no surprises, given that we all know the before and after... but I still enjoyed every minute. I really appreciated the humorous touches they added it. Ties in nicely to the flavor of the nest/first film.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast