• Minion

Song of The South

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tp2WuEng6M

Great clip of a fun scene

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Song of The South

Of course it's a great clip, thanks tiggerfan for sharing it.

It's a clip of a classic Disney movie that Disney still refuses to officially acknowledge, as has been the subject of many previous debates here.

Interesting that people say that the song makes them want to go to Disneyland. Again, my point being that it's interesting that the company continues to profit from the soundtrack of a movie that officially doesn't exist.

Once again Disney - release this movie on DVD. It's much more about love and a good message than it ever was about anything else IMHO.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Still lost in Neverland

I agree 100%. In fact this is a great movie to share with the kids. Lets not keep changing history. The Slavery existed, and these slaves in this movie were not mistreated in any way. In fact, the true villians in this movie were the white trash living down the road. So lets not let something that the NAACP does not want to admit too keep future generations from seeing this incredible and very fun Disney feature that has some very good animation/live actions sequences in addition to top notch animation work in it. And some nice music too!
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Banned User

The reason why they banned this movie is quite outragous. Someday it will be un-banned.

• Minion

Not to mention that the movie is set post-slavery. As is shown in the film, Uncle Remus is free to leave the plantation, "the only home I know."

• Minion

Hehe..i have SOTS on CD..
    I bought it off ebay a few years ago

• insufferable know-it-all

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Minion

Here's a way for Bob Iger to release "Song of the South" for those who want it, make some money for the shareholders and completely avoid complaint and direct criticism:

The film has been released in all other major territories (Europe, Asia, Australia) on VHS and LaserDisc with absolutely no conflict whatsoever - - it's even recently been shown on cable in Britain with no complaint. Pretty much this is a USA socio-historical "problem". Still, the title has been officially unavailable on DVD anywhere.

So put out an international deluxe edition "Song of the South" DVD for ALL-REGION-PLAY, for sale in all foreign territories, with all the extras, art, TV's "Story of Joel Chandler Harris", the trailers and car commercials, etc. Have all alternate language tracks, including the original English (no subtitles).

Just don't ban or block it's import to North America - - that way, it won't offend anyone at Target or Wall-Mart, but specialty stores, Amazon.com and others will be able to freely and legally sell this title to people who love the film here in the USA. Disney can just shrug and say "we didn't release it here due to concerns" - but still make some cash and provide the service or exposing this classic to new generations.

It's a win-win for everyone!

• I met Walt Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Here's a way for Bob Iger to release "Song of the South" for those who want it, make some money for the shareholders and completely avoid complaint and direct criticism:

The film has been released in all other major territories (Europe, Asia, Australia) on VHS and LaserDisc with absolutely no conflict whatsoever - - it's even recently been shown on cable in Britain with no complaint. Pretty much this is a USA socio-historical "problem". Still, the title has been officially unavailable on DVD anywhere.

So put out an international deluxe edition "Song of the South" DVD for ALL-REGION-PLAY, for sale in all foreign territories, with all the extras, art, TV's "Story of Joel Chandler Harris", the trailers and car commercials, etc. Have all alternate language tracks, including the original English (no subtitles).

Just don't ban or block it's import to North America - - that way, it won't offend anyone at Target or Wall-Mart, but specialty stores, Amazon.com and others will be able to freely and legally sell this title to people who love the film here in the USA. Disney can just shrug and say "we didn't release it here due to concerns" - but still make some cash and provide the service or exposing this classic to new generations.
    That is a Zip-a-dee-do-dah great idea!

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    Now, you're just making me hungry....
    -Tim

• Shredder

Here's what gets me the most about Song of the South... The fact that Disney is still after so many years banking on the song zip-a-dee-doo-da and not even recognizing that Song of the South even exists! I can't imagine the number of people and little kids that go up to someone and say "Where did this song come from? I've heard it a billion times but where is the movie to it?"

Think about it... every other song that disney plays you can obviously track the origin of it in your head, but zip-a-dee-doo-da is different... plus they even have a RIDE based on the movie! I think once the whole contriversy thing is all settled with and people one day take the stick out of their butts, they may just show this great classic the recognition it deserves...

Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

• Infinitized!

Imagine if Disney had the rights to Blazing Saddles...