Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: Why did you join DVC?

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
    I am wondering too, what does it cost? I know there is a down payment, and what do you pay each month. Also, what would be included in a 2 week vacation- is it all-inclusive with airfare and meals, or just hotel and passes? I have been really interested in this, but don't think I can go to a presentation in South Dakota

For my wife and I we pay $221 a month and that is for 200 points a year. Mind you the cost of points has gone up since 2003....WELL WORTH IT THOUGH!

The total cost was about $10,500.00

We plane on buying another 100 points in the next couple of years.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post
    You can bank up to one years points. If you want, you can also borrow up to one years points. So if you know of something big coming up in your family you could bank one year, then next year use the banked points, use the current year's points and borrow the next year's points. That would be one heck of a great vacation!

CU@DL

Andy

Now you can actually borrow up to 3 years of points and bank one years worth of points. This is how we were able to do our Disney Cruise in March of 07.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999 View Post
    The Wolfpack is thinking of looking into this also....but are we commited to taking a vacation every year, can we save our points? We travel quite a bit, that does not include Disney's Resorts or other destinations. The Coronado Del Mar does sound tempting though!

You can travel all over the world with the DVC. It isn't just Disney Resorts. You will be surprised at how many places you can stay.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
    I am wondering too, what does it cost? I know there is a down payment, and what do you pay each month. Also, what would be included in a 2 week vacation- is it all-inclusive with airfare and meals, or just hotel and passes? I have been really interested in this, but don't think I can go to a presentation in South Dakota
    Basically now, it is only your room that is included.

Unless there is a special promotion I am un aware of now, you must purchase your park passes seperatley. But you do, sometimes get a DVC discount on annual passes and sometime on park hopper passes. We are going shortly and we bought annual passes and saved $100 per pass. The passes are normally $450 (approx) and we paid $350 (approx), so DVC is a good deal there. There are also "Member Perks" around WDW which include some dining discounts and such.

Airfare, well, no... It is up to you to get there, but once there you have very ince accomodations.

Meals, well, no... again, you're on your own. You can cook some meals (if you get a one br or larger unit, because they have kitchens) and there's always the Disney Dining Package which we are trying this time. The Disney Dining Package is explained fairly well on the WDW site. But basically it includes one table serve meal, one counter serve meal and one snack per day for under $40, looks like a pretty good deal, I'll post on that after we get back.

All in all, DVC has been great for us, but timeshare is not for everyone, so check it out carefully before you buy so you know exaclty what you are getting.

As an aside, we now like timeshare so much we considering getting another timeshare through a different company just to have more vacation altertantives.

Check it out carefully... We like DVC (and timeshare), many others like DVC (and timeshare) but it is not for everybody.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    Sorry to derail for just a sec, but what are the annual "maintenance fees" for DVC? Are they pretty cheap?
    No, they are not "cheap", but the are reasonable. If you buy DVC on a mortgage (like any realestate) you will pay your payment (principal and interest) and a seperate payment for your mainteneance fees (dues) the dues depend on the amount of points you purchase. I believe our dues are about $100 (+or - a little) each month.

DVC is not cheap, nothing about it is cheap, nothing Disney is cheap, but, but, if you want to got to WDW, or other Disney timeshare locations or on Disney Cruises, it is a good way (I believe) to pre-pay for a significant part of your vacation.

If anyone is really interested in DVC... If you live near WDW or DL, go in and see a DVC person, most I have talked with are really quite friendly and knowledgable about their product (DVC). Go let them give you their presentation, ask lots of questions, think about it (maybe don't sign up right then), then think some more, then you can purchase. We did and we have never been sorry.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Our dues payments are $57.94 per month. So once the loan is paid off that will be our total monthly payment for the life of our membership. So it is roughly $700 per year for at least a week's worth of accomodations.
    <o>

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick View Post
    Our dues payments are $57.94 per month. So once the loan is paid off that will be our total monthly payment for the life of our membership. So it is roughly $700 per year for at least a week's worth of accomodations.
    So I can start paying around $700 each year for membership to the DVC? $15,000 upfront is a little high for my budget.

I really want to do this but I don't make as much. Although I don't make as much, I still have afford trips to a 7 day trip to Disney World and a 3 day trip to Universa/IOA this year at seperate times. I buy about 1,500 for the Disney trip in May including airfare and about 1,200 for Universal in August.

I hear that DVC great to deal with planning overseas trip and I want to take advance of this. I really want to go to Tokyo and Paris in the future.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

wow, this thread has gotten me all excited. I absolutely love to travel, main reason I was a tourism major in college. DVC sounds like it will be great in helping us travel in the future. Once we get the little matter of a wedding organized I have a new goal!

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• A New Kind Of Villain

I actually went to the presentation right before my WDW trip and was intrigued myself. Especially with the 15.00$/point credit for AP holders through Jan 20th! Plus they give you 2 free AP's to use either at DL or WDW.

I'm looking at a plan that allows me to spend a few days a year at an off-shore park and then a week or two at WDW if I can.

The great thing is that for the off-shore parks, admission to the parks is included with your stay for every registered occupant of the room! (Only off-shores, not WDW). Plus I like the idea that they're now including the 'Adventures' into the plan...

I'm heavily considering it... I have about a week before the promotion ends... >_<;;;
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadako View Post
    I actually went to the presentation right before my WDW trip and was intrigued myself. Especially with the 15.00$/point credit for AP holders through Jan 20th! Plus they give you 2 free AP's to use either at DL or WDW.

I'm looking at a plan that allows me to spend a few days a year at an off-shore park and then a week or two at WDW if I can.

The great thing is that for the off-shore parks, admission to the parks is included with your stay for every registered occupant of the room! (Only off-shores, not WDW). Plus I like the idea that they're now including the 'Adventures' into the plan...

I'm heavily considering it... I have about a week before the promotion ends... >_<;;;
    That is a GREAT promotion! Anyone even considering DVC should not walk, but run to their nearest DVC boothand sign up for a presentation.

The $15.00 per point is great, but the extra AP makes it, well, WOW!

If I wasn't already A DVC member and I was remotely considering it, well, too good to pass up.

(this was not meant to be a timeshare sales presentaton)

Oh, just noticed, what't this Off-shore park thing?
    Where is an Off-shore park?

Sounds interesting, or is only for new members?

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• is on the rocks

Hmm - I have to say that this thread has me very intrigued. I've heard of DVC, but I also was leary because I thought it was like other timeshare setups - very high-pressure sales pitch and too-good-to-be-true prices which turn out to be anything but. I'm glad to hear that's not the case, and that the fees are not outrageous.
    She did it!

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post
    Oh, just noticed, what't this Off-shore park thing?
    Where is an Off-shore park?
    According to the material they gave me at the presentation for the Hong Kong Disneyland, Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris hotels, there's a little asterisk on them that says:

"Reservation Points listed include admission to Theme Parks for the length of stay for the number of registered guests, up to the maximum of Guests permitted in the accomodations."

I'm actually looking into a plan with around 300-350 points myself because I know I'll always be traveling with someone and I really need to make myself travel more and take a vacation every few months since I didn't do it this past year and I had a huge case of burnout right before my WDW trip. The sad thing is when I started, I was warned to not work so hard to avoid burning out, but I did it anyway. Hopefully if I plan my vacations well, I can avoid it from now on and this seems like the perfect way to do it.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrrrl View Post
    Hmm - I have to say that this thread has me very intrigued. I've heard of DVC, but I also was leary because I thought it was like other timeshare setups - very high-pressure sales pitch and too-good-to-be-true prices which turn out to be anything but. I'm glad to hear that's not the case, and that the fees are not outrageous.
    I'm really happy with my DVC. Not difficult like my Dad's time share when we were kids.

Everything that you need is taken care of just by giving the DVC hotline a call. They will tell you how many points you have, how many you need to stay at a certain resort, even help you use your points at a non-Disney hotel (all over the world)!

It is easy, fun, and forces you to actually take your vacation time.

And don't worry about high pressure salesmen. They are pretty low key at DVC.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I'm really happy with my DVC. Not difficult like my Dad's time share when we were kids.

Everything that you need is taken care of just by giving the DVC hotline a call. They will tell you how many points you have, how many you need to stay at a certain resort, even help you use your points at a non-Disney hotel (all over the world)!

Wow, that sounds worlds above what I've experienced! Thanks, Dusty

Yeah - I remember as a kid being dragged by my parents to a few of these timeshare presentations. They were horrible. They did end up getting one that was pretty decent, but it takes a lot of jumping through hoops if you wanted to go somewhere else, go during a different season, etc. This sounds much, much better.
    She did it!

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post

What Dusty said about DVC, all the same in my experience. One thing I have noticed though, some, not all, but some timeshare organizaations are starting (just starting) to have the timeshare presentaitons as being more presentation, more information, and less sales pressure.

When we were in Maui in the summer, we went to a presentation for Marriott, very good presentation, not high pressure (maybe because we appeared to be motivated shoppers). But there was a lot of information, and some of the presenting that if you bought now or next week, they would throw in something (probably the same each week, not matter when). We ended up not buying because it didn't look like that particular TS would meet our needs.

Yep, there are still many high pressure TS presentations, but if you go to the biggies like Disney, Marriott, Hayatt, Four Seasons and other more reputable orgainzations you are less likley to get the high pressure TS presentation.

Knowing what I know now about TS, i would recommend that anyone not put all their TS dollars into one TS system (not even DVC). Buy just what ou think you will use with that TS orgainzation, and then also look into other TS. Why? Why not buy all DVC? Well,there's a dirty little secret that NO TS ORGANIZATION NOT EVEN DVC or Hayatt or Marriott or any others will tell you! That is, they will tell you that they work through Interval Internaitonal for trading, which they do. But try to get a trade to some other deluxe TS location. It is very difficult, some are impossible to get into, I've tried. Why? Well, it is because the deluxe TS (like DVC and Marriott and Hayatt and Four Seasons) all reserve their unused booking points for their members so they can buy additional time for $$'s or borrow from upcomming years. This is a good thing, unless you want to trade into one of the other deluxe TS locations.

That is why I say, buy what you want from several TS groups (including DVC, which is the best by far) that way, if you want to go to Hawaii, or somne other nice location you've got a TS group that can put you there in one of their TS facilities. It is much easier to trade within your TS group that outside of it.

Thinking about DVC, well, it is one of the Top of the line TS groups and reconigized as such by other TS groups, I know, I've been told by folks in Hayatt and Mariott what a great reputation DVC has in the TS community and something they and others are trying to achieve is to be more like DVC so they can compete more evenly with DVC

I really like going to WDW, and I really like staying at a DVC (well OKW) location, but I also want to diversify my TS holdings so I have more choices for things outside of Disney.

One thing I like to look for is a TS group which uses the points system, like DVC so I can stay two nights here, three nights there and a week somewhere else. There are some groups that use the points system, and some that still use the old purchase a week during a time of year, which locks you into going only during the same time of year (or lesser desirable week) each year.

If you like TS and like Disney, then buy DVC! It is ithe greatest, I cannot put ina stronger recommendation. If you like to vacation in other places, you might also want to consider putting some of your TS $$'s into other TS groups, as well as DVC.

I like TS vacations better than any other. Why? Well, to me the facilities the resort where I stay, particularly the room are very important to me. I like tha option of fixing a meal in a full kitchen and staying in an evening. I like having laundry facilities in my room! Most of all, I like having a seperate bedroom and living room, that way one person can nap and the other watch TV without distubing the other. I also like being able to relax in a living room over a cold drink or coffee (from the kitchen) better than a standard hotel room where the room is mostly bed.

I did not mean to write this much. I just like TS vacations. Ifyou read this far, this was a lot of reading, go read something else.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 01-13-2007 at 05:45 PM.
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12