Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MCers...I need help!!!!

I dont know if this is the right forum to post this in, but we'll see if it gets moved

i am currently in a class entitled "children and media" and we recently watched a movie called "mickey mouse monopoly", which basically was a big bash-fest on the disney corporation, pointing out various exaxamples in their animated features of racism and gender issues.

for example, they use the siamese cats from lady and the tramp and tito from oliver and company to "show" that disney is racist against asians and latinos.

they also point out that belle falls in love with a mean, angry, abusive beast and claim that this will teach girls that its ok if their husbands are abusive.

well i was, as im sure u can imagine, pretty upset by this one-sided presentation of the WDC, and have decided to base my open-ended final project as essentially a rebuttal to this film.

this is where all of you trusted folks here at MC come in. i need your help in coming up with ideas to defend my claim that disney really is beneficial to kids, or at the very least, not harmful

to address the racism issue, im planning on talking about mulan and the 3 caballeros

for the gender roles, i plan to point out all of the times that women saved men in disney movies (ariel saving eric from drowing, jasmine saving aladdin, etc)

i also am planning on using some of disney's better known songs to show some of the other positive messages disney has for kids (when you wish upon a star, leanne rimes' remember when, colors of the wind, etc)

if i have time, i also want to show some of the beneficial attractions found in disney parks, such as its a small world and carousel of progress.

can anyone help me come up with more examples of disney being a positive influence in the lives of children? any help would be greatly appriciated!
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Re: MCers...I need help!!!!

So it is racist because the asain siamese cats were portayed as asians and Tito the chihuahua (a dog native to mexico) was Latino... wow that sounds like great movie. Curse Disney for trying to make the animals close to there role.... I mean could you imagine tito speaking with a Brittish accent or the cats with a German one yea........

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

i am currently in a class entitled "children and media" and we recently watched a movie called "mickey mouse monopoly", which basically was a big bash-fest on the disney corporation, pointing out various exaxamples in their animated features of racism and gender issues.

for example, they use the siamese cats from lady and the tramp and tito from oliver and company to "show" that disney is racist against asians and latinos.
    They need to realize that all the characters on television are stereotypes.

they also point out that belle falls in love with a mean, angry, abusive beast and claim that this will teach girls that its ok if their husbands are abusive.
    But she found out that in reality, he was a person who had a heart and needed help. She saw that he was the outcast of society and gave him another reason to be happy and loved. In the sequels, he is viewed as a polite creature. Never once did I see him abuse Belle or any other female character. Besides, it was Gaston who was abusive and forcing himself onto Belle. But she did not give into him and was not passive.

to address the racism issue, im planning on talking about mulan and the 3 caballeros
    Mulan is a good example of helping others, fighting for what you believe in, and going against the system in order for changes to occur.

In the film, if she did not go against the system, which was dominated by men who were the leaders, men who were the fighters, and women who were the housekeepers, no changes would have occured. She proved that women are as good as men and she, along with Belle and a few others, shattered the common female stereotype by not being passive, standing up for what they believe in, and doing what they believe is right.

Characters like Belle and Mulan showed their strength when they saved their male counterparts. Usually it was men saving women in films because the women were submissive to the villains and did not put up much of a fight to get away from them. But Belle, Mulan, etc. helped shatter that gender role with their strength and courage.
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 12-02-2006 at 07:37 AM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Ok that is the most retarded thing ever. Siamese cats are known to be loud and obnoxious in real life. Seriously... nearly every Siamese cat I've met has been a MEAN little bugger!

• Shablagoo!

I would have given the movie hell in the class. It definitely sounds like it has a anti-disney bias.

yeah, i was fuming at by the end of the film

at one point they even showed a picture of mickey mouse getting caught in a mouse trap, with his arms splayed out to his side, legs crossed, and somehow, there were stakes shoved through his hands and feet to keep him in place. Gee, I wonder where they got that image from? They hated on Disney, crucified Mickey, pointed out all of the big bad evil things the company does, ooo man is my project gonna lay into it lol

I'm using quotes from walt, explaining how ariel saves eric, in addition to being saved by him, so its not a gender based issue, its just people helping each other out, im gonna be throwing uncle remus at em, as well as the 3 caballeros.

sometimes i cant believe that i'm paying thousands of dollars only to have to waste my time defending something that shouldnt have to be defended

• For You!

Is this college? If it is, I would demand my money back. What a waste of time! I hope you get an A on your paper!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Does your teacher feel the same way that the video does? I would challange the school about that. The entire thing is too one sided.

yea, its for college, the class is called children and media and i guess the title kinda explains for itself what its about

unfortunately, it seems like all classes have incredibly biased views, regardless of the subject. we have this anti-disney video, one of my professors yesterday urged everyone in the class to seriously consider working for al-jazeera because "it is a model of truth and fair journalism", mtv is horrible for telling teens what is cool, the list goes on and on and on

and i only can assume that my teachers believe in these positions that they are presenting to us, as they have complete freedom to create the course curriculum

its a sad and sorry testament to college education in this country, and talking to friends who attend schools all around the country, my university is not unique in this regard

• Practically Perfect

My roommate had to watch that for a class of hers. It made me furious just hearing about it. Some people don't understand.

As for the gender thing, yes Snow White is going to seem like a weak female role model by today's standards...but the film was made HOW long ago? And just HOW far have we come with women's rights and standings in society since then? Different time, different entertainment.

As for the race issue. The first live action actor Disney hired was James Baskett (Uncle Remus in Song of the South). And don't even get me started on Song of the South!

Disney frequently uses animal character in caricature. Bambi does not look like just a deer...he has the eyes and voice of a child. Does that mean children are cast in a negative light by this company? No!

The only way I could understand the argument that the Disney company is racist, would be if their movies contained 'ethnic characters' (such as Mulan) who were instead voiced by white actors. That is: if the company DENIED work to anyone who was not Caucasian.

Sorry, I get worked up when it comes to this sort of thing. I could probably go on, but it’s late and I’m sure I’m not making the best sense I could.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Disney isn't perfect but that film sounds like it took things too far and blew it all way out of proportion.

• no flash photography...

Most of the anumated movie disney made are not origunal disney stories. Disney just took the story and redid it. The original little mermaid movie was much better, but anyway...maybe it was hans christian anderson who was racially ...since disney borrowed the stories from him.

•   
    • I <3 o

If they want to get into racism, look at all the early film from fox and the other big live studios with actors in "blackface", oh brother
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

• Grumpy old man

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyfnatic View Post
    yea, its for college, the class is called children and media and i guess the title kinda explains for itself what its about

unfortunately, it seems like all classes have incredibly biased views, regardless of the subject. we have this anti-disney video, one of my professors yesterday urged everyone in the class to seriously consider working for al-jazeera because "it is a model of truth and fair journalism", mtv is horrible for telling teens what is cool, the list goes on and on and on

and i only can assume that my teachers believe in these positions that they are presenting to us, as they have complete freedom to create the course curriculum

its a sad and sorry testament to college education in this country, and talking to friends who attend schools all around the country, my university is not unique in this regard
    I'm right with you on this. Try being from the Bay Area and attending the community college where most of the professors are part-times who also teach at UC Berkeley. Which if you know anything about Berkeley is notorious for bias.

My History teacher made a nice sweeping negative remark about Disney the other day where he took something and completely twisted it regarding Disney's HUAC testimony. I was fuming after he said it and almost walked out of class.

I wish you luck on your paper and hope your teacher is smart enough to read it for it's thought, effort, and actual ideas and grades you fairly rather than giving you the shaft because you oppose their opinion.

^ actually, i am from the bay area, and i definitely know where you are coming from. i go to UCSD, and while its not quite as extreeme as berkeley, all UCs have that notorious bias stigma associated with them, and going from my experiences, deservedly so

my project went really well, thanks to all of your input! i still havent gotten my grade back, but my professor seemed pretty pleased with my groups work.

i opened the presentation with Walt's dedication to DL to try and show what the WDC stands for, and ended the presentation with another quote from walt saying something along the line of "you cant think about funny things too long without becoming serious, and perhaps you cant think about serious things too long without getting the giggles", not the exact wording, but thats the gist of it, i thought it really fits with what the problem with the original film was

thanks again for all the help guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast