Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• o Tom o

ABC preps for fall

Thanks to DramaQueen for posting this in the news section I thought I would open it up for discourse in the entertainment forum!

ABC Seeks to continue success
    New comedies (some are due later next season):

Crumbs, with Fred Savage (The Wonder Years), is about two estranged brothers forced to run the family business after their parents are divorced.

Hot Properties revolves around four female co-workers at a real estate firm.

Freddie stars Freddie Prinze Jr. as a single guy suddenly surrounded by a houseful of women.

Sons & Daughters is a partly improvised comedy about adult siblings.

Emily's Reasons Why Not, starring Heather Graham, is based on the book about a professional woman who is unlucky in love. Midseason.

The new dramas:

Commander in Chief stars Davis as president.

Invasion, a family drama set in Florida, is about bizarre events that are ushered in by a hurricane.

The Night Stalker is a remake of the 1970s supernatural series from X-Files producer Frank Spotnitz.

The Evidence, starring Orlando Jones and Kyle MacLachlan, is a midseason police series that starts with evidence and deconstructs crimes.

In Justice is a midseason drama about lawyers who fight for those wrongly accused.

What About Brian is a midseason dramedy about a "perpetual bachelor" (7th Heaven's Barry Watson) and friends who worry about him.

ABC's last-minute reprieve for Jake, which will return for 13 episodes in midseason, has thrown a wrench into plans at rival networks NBC and WB.

Star John Stamos was expected to join the cast of NBC's ER. And co-star Wendie Malick was set for a pivotal role as a life coach in WB's Modern Men, the first comedy from producer Jerry Bruckheimer. Malick's role will be recast.
    I feel a little bad about all my recent jabs at John Stamos and his tenous relationship with Disney. I am a fan of his show and given some work it has the potiential to be a very funny show...it just needs more of a Sex in the City vibe for men.

I am also amused by the number of hybred sci-fi shows we are seeing from NBC and ABC as the try to cut into lucrative market the Sci-fi Channel has established over the last few years.

Also interesting are the number of film actors stepping onto the silver screen: Geena Davis, Heather Graham, Freddie Prince Jr. This used to be a career ending move but with the success of shows like 24, West Wing and sitcoms like Spin City and Two and Half Men- it appears the silver screen is becoming a home for out of work film thesbians.

Coming off a terribly low-rated year all over the board, I expect as we see the line ups for Fox and CBS and the cable networks that we will see a rebound year off the success of a few strong key shows and a stronger emphasis in 2004 and 2005 to high quality, digital entertainment.
    Last edited by ah schucks; 05-19-2005 at 07:49 AM.

• Reaver of Souls

ER? Is that show still on the air?

"Freddie"?!? Are you kidding? An untalented actor starring in what sounds like a bad imitation of Three's Company... He'll probably have to act gay to fool his landlord...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• o Tom o

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    ER? Is that show still on the air?

"Freddie"?!? Are you kidding? An untalented actor starring in what sounds like a bad imitation of Three's Company... He'll probably have to act gay to fool his landlord...
    Hey its got to be better than his writing career- Prince wrote a horrid episode of that lame show Mutant X! Painful...

The should merge his show with the Fred Savage concept Fred and Fred!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Coming off a terribly low-rated year all over the board, I expect as we see the line ups for Fox and CBS and the cable networks that we will see a rebound year off the success of a few strong key shows and a stronger emphasis in 2004 and 2005 to high quality, digital entertainment.
    I agree with this assessment really... The schedule looks like more of the same, trying to capitalize on recent successes with out killing a show by over programming it...

I also think that Commander in Chief is a sly attempt at diverting viewers of the West Wing now that it will be without Martin Sheen...

Oh, can I say something that is a bit of a pet peeve...

What the heck is a Dramedy supposed to be? I mean really... This is the type of word that academic schollars look at to proove that much of the entertainment industry really don't know anything about genra or the meanings of words...
    Check out my other blog:

• o Tom o

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    What the heck is a Dramedy supposed to be? I mean really... This is the type of word that academic schollars look at to proove that much of the entertainment industry really don't know anything about genra or the meanings of words...
    In the mid to late 90's Hollywood Sitcom writers feed up with a lack of creativty in the multi-camera format began pitching a new genre of shows. The first born of this new format were shows like Ally McBeal and ED- huge fan favorites but not great in the ratings department. Shorter sitcoms like Malcom in the Middle and Scrubs were forged. Now we populate about 10% of the programming schedule with shows like Gilmore Girls, Jack in Progress, Scrubs, even Arrested Development falls into this class of hybred pseudo- intellectual shows helmed by former sitcom writers. Look for them to take a bigger market share as the reality tv craze dwindles down.

•   
    • Minion

In the mid to late 90's Hollywood Sitcom writers feed up with a lack of creativty in the multi-camera format began pitching a new genre of shows. The first born of this new format were shows like Ally McBeal and ED- huge fan favorites but not great in the ratings department. Shorter sitcoms like Malcom in the Middle and Scrubs were forged. Now we populate about 10% of the programming schedule with shows like Gilmore Girls, Jack in Progress, Scrubs, even Arrested Development falls into this class of hybred pseudo- intellectual shows helmed by former sitcom writers. Look for them to take a bigger market share as the reality tv craze dwindles down.
    What I am saying is the root word Drama is in a differant lingustic word classification than Comedy... Comedy is a subset of Drama...

Dramedy doesn't make any sense...
    Check out my other blog:

• o Tom o

What I am saying is the root word Drama is in a differant lingustic word classification than Comedy... Comedy is a subset of Drama...

Dramedy doesn't make any sense...
    The word itself is one of those American basterization of two words for a new genre within the newest genre of art in the last century. First came film, then tv- tv breed all sorts of children and reality tv and these pseudo-funny/psuedo serious shows don't have a home yet so for the time being the label dramedy will stick and it predates the format as I encountered that description of theatrical productions as far back as the 60's so its not some stupid Hollywood thing that sprouted legs and ran off like a monster terrorizing our television sets

•   
    • Minion

The word itself is one of those American basterization of two words for a new genre within the newest genre of art in the last century. First came film, then tv- tv breed all sorts of children and reality tv and these pseudo-funny/psuedo serious shows don't have a home yet so for the time being the label dramedy will stick and it predates the format as I encountered that description of theatrical productions as far back as the 60's so its not some stupid Hollywood thing that sprouted legs and ran off like a monster terrorizing our television sets
    Well, a lot of people have tried to use the word in an academic context, and I have seen professors literally laugh at people for using the word...

There is Tragi-comedy, which is slightly differant... But it is this where I think the root of Dramedy comes from, but it doesn't really work when you look at the roots of the words...

Comedy has Farces, Satires, Parodies... You have Comedy of Manners, Comedy of Humors... Absurdist Comedy... There is also Postmodern Comedy: which blends verious differant dramatic elements... and these are just a few types of discriptions...

Dramedy doesn't really say much about the show really... Comedy is always dramatic... It always has a struggle at it's root...

The use of the word "Drama" in TV always seemed kinda wierd to me... Because it usually means "Pictoral Realism." Because that is what is trying to be created... A "realistic" representation of a Court Room, or a Detective Story, or Domestic Life...

What we don't see is Drama that is absurdist on TV... The closest we got as Twin Peeks...

Don't get me wrong, I love Northern Exposure... But would I classify it as a dramedy? probably not...
    Check out my other blog:

• is satisfactual.

Whatever they're called, they're great. I love sitcoms, but after you've seen about a thousand, you get a little fed up with the flat sets, the bad lighting, the cheap jokes and the fake laughter. It's come to the point where I keep recognising a certain man's voice in the fake laughter of a whole bunch of sitcoms, so unless he spends a lot of time in the WB studios...

Dramedies are a huge quality upgrade from the former, but usually at least as funny. Plus they actually zoom in to the actors' faces as opposed to panning from side to side on the flat set. I mean, I don't even know what Eric McCormick looks like. He could be 75 years old and I wouldn't know it.

And the fact that the word "dramedy" hasn't been fully thought through only means that people who watch a lot of TV and come up with these words usually haven't studied Latin, and never took up Performing Arts. I.e. people like me.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots
    And the fact that the word "dramedy" hasn't been fully thought through only means that people who watch a lot of TV and come up with these words usually haven't studied Latin, and never took up Performing Arts. I.e. people like me.
    Sorry to get side tracked - off topic... But I can't help myself...

Did you know all forms of drama stem from religous ritual?

Comedy, Tragedy, and Drama come from Greek roots, and are afiliated with worshiping the pagan god Dionysus... Dionysus is a form of the Egyptian god Osirus, as well as the Hindi god Vishnu... So it is likely a tribal practice...

However the performative form of communication does not have it's roots soully in Greece... It was used in Japanese Shinto Shrines dating back further...

So every time you watch your TV, you are engaging in an achient form of cerimonial magic dating back to the dawn of civilization...

Interesting, Huh?
    Check out my other blog:

• is satisfactual.

Well hey, I'm very religious, haha.

Though perhaps saying people who watch TV "engage" in these rituals is pushing it. It's like how people watch sports and then yell "we won" as if they weren't actually at home on a couch with pieces of Mallomars all over them while the tall black men in Madison Square Garden were doing all the work.

• o Tom o

So every time you watch your TV, you are engaging in an achient form of cerimonial magic dating back to the dawn of civilization...

Interesting, Huh?
    Except film and television and radio are the newest widespread artform and I do not associate them with the traditional theatrical and story telling forms that were established. Dramedy is a word that will not go away for all the proactive attempts of intellectuals across the globe. Television generates slang and new words more often and are embraced by the public and it cannot be reversed for the pet peeve.

Dramedy will continue to account for hybred taste look at shows like Sex In The City or Curb Your Enthusiasm they account for a large market share where as the multi-camera shows of yesterday are falling away. Like or dislike the word its stuck. Just like Kleenex means Facial Tissue and Band-aid means adhesive strip.

•   
    • Minion

Except film and television and radio are the newest widespread artform and I do not associate them with the traditional theatrical and story telling forms that were established.
    I honestly disagree with you about this... Film and Television are the same as any theatrical production... The purpose is the same, the conventions are for the most part the same... The only differance is that the medium is mass produced, there for the cost of production can be much, much lower... Thus lowering the cost of a ticket... The performance technique has transformed slightly to highlight a more improvizational acting style...

But we still afford our actors status as modern day shaman... for the most part... Which is why people are so facinated with them...

When you look at the screen play it involves many of the same scriptwriting dramatic conventions as playwriting... However film makes everything seem more "real" because of location shots... The eye of the camera also makes the production seem more directed... Where as a "legit" theatrical production is more of an actors medium, allowing the actor more direct access to the means of production...

Still the focus really should be on the Audiance... Because the purpose of theatre, film, and TV is built toward providing an experiance for an Audiance... A message gets sent to the audiance, and the audiance reacts as if what they are seeing is real...

Film and TV producers often forget... It's all about the guy who buys a ticket or tunes in their favorate program... And talk about their experiance around the water cooler the next day...
    Check out my other blog:

• o Tom o

Film and television are not the same as theatre - they share a common thread and certainly one can argue that film evolved from theatre, but this argument fails to give credit to the work of the camera and the editor The camera can detail and focus the attention of the audience in ways no theatrical production could ever achieve. Combined with sound and more recently with special fx, the canvas of a filmmaker is far different than a theatrical production. Editor stimulate story, altering it after the performance is captured, improving it, enhancing it, creating a dance, a rythme to the film. You might argue these are new traits but they add up to a new medium, a new art, not simply a modification.

•   
    • Minion

Film and television are not the same as theatre - they share a common thread and certainly one can argue that film evolved from theatre, but this argument fails to give credit to the work of the camera and the editor The camera can detail and focus the attention of the audience in ways no theatrical production could ever achieve. Combined with sound and more recently with special fx, the canvas of a filmmaker is far different than a theatrical production. Editor stimulate story, altering it after the performance is captured, improving it, enhancing it, creating a dance, a rythme to the film. You might argue these are new traits but they add up to a new medium, a new art, not simply a modification.
    AhShucks... Those are production values...

I will argue that the sociological function is the same... And even further the political function is the same...

It is still in it's essence a recorded public performance. Presenting performative content before an audiance...

There is no functional differance to the audiance with the exception of how much they have to pay for a ticket...

The art form of the stage was an accellaration toward pictorial realism untill film came to speed up the process... And theatrical professionals moved toward the film medium... It is a process that even happens today and post modern playwrights... David Mamet, Sam Sheppard, Eric Bogosian, and Tom Stoppard (as well as others)... All playwrights who know the performative form of literature and use film as the medium to reach a larger mass market... The differance for them is instead of recording a in the form of a script to theatre companies, you are creating a film and sending it out to projection centers...

It has to do with your point of view in the artistic process...

It is always been about the writing of the performative...
    Check out my other blog:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast