View Poll Results: What did you think of The Haunted Mansion Movie?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great. Made me love the attraction even more.

3 4.55%
  • Good. Had a few problems but good.

10 15.15%
  • Could've been better.

26 39.39%
  • It was an insult to the Imagineers who made the attraction.

23 34.85%
  • A People's Court rap at the end? WHY?

4 6.06%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• IZTUAZU!!!

Your opinion of The Haunted Mansion Movie

I know it's been a while since this movie came out, but I want to know from fellow MiceChatters what they thought of this movie.
    J.B. Opie

"Doubt is the rust of a feeble mind. The only way to seize the future is to grasp the present. Let's Go!"

-Chairman Clench, Alien Encounter

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries
    when i first saw it I thought it was ok, then i rewatched and was like my god, its horrible. I hate the rap at the end during the credits and I hate how the soundtrack is all "inspired" music and not the actual score. Ugh so many things bugged me, the mansion has so much potential, so many stories to tell. Disney just blew it.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• off in lala land

...ummmm.... I think this movie just tried to incorporate every aspect of the ride into the movie and was a big mess when it all came together. I don't think Eddie Murphy was good for the part, however Terrance Stamp was excellent as ever.
    ...it's been a long time.

• IZTUAZU!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey
    Terrance Stamp was excellent as ever.
    I agree. It was like he was a Haunted Mansion CM.

I also liked Master Gracey's character, though his first name should've been Yale.
    J.B. Opie

"Doubt is the rust of a feeble mind. The only way to seize the future is to grasp the present. Let's Go!"

-Chairman Clench, Alien Encounter

Dissapointing, I realize Disney wanted to market to children and make it a funny movie, but there was so much potential with the Bride and Groom story from whichever mansion it is...bleh...could have been awesome...if I ever make it guys, I'll make a better version and dedicate it to the users of MiceChat...

• Circle of Ancients

It definately could have been better. I do think it was unfair that it came out after POTC though since that movie was totally awesome.

• Practically Perfect

I think they let Pirates go to their head. I love the haunted mansion and I really enjoyed seeing ride referances, but the story and the over-the-top humor just didn't appeal to me. There's so much more they could have done with it.

• Travel-Sized Guardian

Well from the Haunted Mansion fan's standpoint here...I cannot possibly verbalize on how much I *completely* loathe this movie. Because well...heh, this board is PG, and what -I- have to say about it...goes beyond that rating. But here's the watered down version:

Yes, the scoring was beautiful, and yes, the ghost effects and Mansion's design were great...but...the plot was godawful. Too cheesy and saccharine for it's theme. Disney really played the kid friendly stuff up WAY too much. But what didn't help *that* matter, and what completely ruined the movie for me...was Jennifer Tilly. I was -completely- severely annoyed by her performance as Madame Leota...and to this day, i'm still peeved at her for even thinking they'd replace the original one with her version. On an additional note, the soundtrack, aside from the Dapper Dans singing 'Grim Grinning Ghosts' and the Orchestral Suite, was a severe dissapointment (I like Oingo Boingo though. Don't get me wrong.) And don't even get me *started* on Raven Symone's blah-worthy performance of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition".

Ahem! So...safe to say, I went with the "It was a slap in the face to the original Imagineers" vote.
    Last edited by GuardianDragon_Mushu; 05-18-2005 at 12:39 AM.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianDragon_Mushu
    Well from the Haunted Mansion fan's standpoint here...I cannot possibly verbalize on how much I *completely* loathe this movie. Because well...heh, this board is PG, and what -I- have to say about it...goes beyond that rating. But here's the watered down version:

Yes, the scoring was beautiful, and yes, the ghost effects and Mansion's design were great...but...the plot was godawful. Too cheesy and saccharine for it's theme. Disney really played the kid friendly stuff up WAY too much. But what didn't help *that* matter, and what completely ruined the movie for me...was Jennifer Tilly. I was -completely- severely annoyed by her performance as Madame Leota...and to this day, i'm still peeved at her for even thinking they'd replace the original one with her version. On an additional note, the soundtrack, aside from the Dapper Dans singing 'Grim Grinning Ghosts' and the Orchestral Suite, was a severe dissapointment (I like Oingo Boingo though. Don't get me wrong.) And don't even get me *started* on Raven Symone's blah-worthy performance of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition".

Ahem! So...safe to say, I went with the "It was a slap in the face to the original Imagineers" vote.
    *raises hand in agreement* I thought this film was so utterly craptastic, even by my questionably low entertainment standards.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• =)

Re: Your opinion of The Haunted Mansion Movie

I'm mostly in agreement with the other posters on this thread. The architecture of the mansion, while not totally true to any of the mansion attractions, was visually impressive. Mark Mancina's mostly-beautiful score usually sounded like it belonged in a better Haunted Mansion movie. The use of countless clever variations of Grim Grinning Ghosts was very appropriate and enjoyable, though slightly tiring if you listen closely the whole time as I do. The visual references to the ride were (usually) very fun to see.

But none of these things are really what movies are about. These are the peripherals that turn a good plot into a good movie. Without an interesting plot, engaging characters, and a well-written script, the movie ultimately fails. Casting Eddie Murphy as the lead was an obvious marketing ploy, and not a very successful one at that. His character (and most of the other characters) as totally different from anything you'd expect in a Haunted Mansion movie. The tendency toward so-called "family humor" completely ruined the wonderful visual mood of the movie. The filmmakers overanalyzed the spiritual implications of the whole idea in a way the ride doesn't and shouldn't.

I, too, was expecting another POTC.

Don't get me wrong, I currently have a Blockbuster copy sitting in my DVD player. I like the movie's music and architecture a lot. But in my opinion, the rest of the movie does not live up to those standards.

And what was up with the rap at the end?! POTC did it right--use bits and pieces of the score. Or, better yet, take the John Williams approach and compose a whole orchestral suite, based on the movie's themes, just to accompany the end credits. That's the best way to do it.

Jennifer Tilly's comment about the "crystal ball at the beginning of the ride" makes me shake with fury. Could she at least tried experiencing the actual ride before taking on a part of such mythic proportions?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister
    Jennifer Tilly's comment about the "crystal ball at the beginning of the ride" makes me shake with fury. Could she at least tried experiencing the actual ride before taking on a part of such mythic proportions?
    Or perhaps the writers.

Review: not worth the CM-discount DVD price.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• I am EvilHomer

The Springfield nuclear power plant sector 7G

I was very excited that they had made a HM movie being a big fan of the ride, Then I read the cast list. I went into the theater with very low expectations and came out yelling oh well what done is done. at least pirates was good
    "Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me...Can't sleep Clowns will eat me...Can't sleep Clowns will eat me..."

• Minion

It was good, but it had it's flaws. And by flaws I mean Eddie Murphy. He just dragged the entire movie down.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• keep moving forward...

i enjoyed how they interwined the ride and the movie... kind of like connecting past and preasent (putting eddie murphy in the actual ride would be taking it a little too far thogh)

• keep moving forward...

but i left the movie theater with a greater understanding of the ride.

i think walt would have been proud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast