Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

The 64th Annual Golden Globe Awards 1/15/07

Golden Globe Nominations this Thursday

Source: HFPA
    December 11, 2006

Jessica Biel, Scarlett Johansson and Matthew Perry will join Hollywood Foreign Press Association President Philip Berk to announce the nominations for "The 64th Annual Golden Globe Awards" on Thursday morning, December 14, 2006 at The Beverly Hilton.

Nominations will be announced in 25 categories. "The 64th Annual Golden Globe Awards" will take place Monday, January 15, 2007, at The Beverly Hilton with a live telecast airing on NBC at 8 p.m. (EST) and produced by dick clark productions in association with the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Philip Berk is President of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Allen Shapiro and Barry Adelman are executive producers. Chris Donovan is director. Al Schwartz is consulting producer. Ken Shapiro is producer. Ron Weed is co-producer.

http://www.hfpa.org/
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: The 64th Annual Golden Globe Awards 1/15/07

Golden Globes cheat sheet

Here's how to predict who will be nominated on Thursday morning.

By Tom O'Neil, The Envelope
    Los Angeles Times
    December 13, 2006

If you want to predict who'll be in the running for Golden Globes when nominations are announced on Thursday morn, consider what's most important to the voters.

They're members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association who are keen on spotlighting the hottest new stars of interest to their newspaper readers back Oslo, Cairo and Buenes Aires.

Therefore, they care a lot about new breakout personalities like Jennifer Hudson of "Dreamgirls" plus sexy A-Listers who have major films out right now (Leonardo Di Caprio in "Blood Diamond" and "The Departed"). Being foreigners, they have a special fondness for movies set overseas -- like "The Queen."

Among TV shows, they like what's new and cool ("Ugly Betty"), full of stars (Sally Field and Calista Flockhart in "Brothers and Sisters") and edgy, even if low-rated ("Studio 60"). Last year it didn't matter that "Commander-in-Chief" was already in danger of cancellation at year's end. Voters still saluted Geena Davis as nominee and winner of best TV drama actress because the series was daring, well crafted and featured a glam past Oscar champ slumming it on the tube.

Actual nominees will be announced live on NBC's "Today" show at 5:35 a.m. Pacific/ 8:35 a.m. eastern on Thursday.
    http://theenvelope.latimes.com/award...home-headlines
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Golden Globe nominations announced
    Updated 12/14/2006 8:52 AM ET

From staff and wire reports

The multinational ensemble drama Babel led Golden Globe contenders Thursday with seven nominations including best dramatic picture and acting honors for Brad Pitt and Rinko Kikuchi.

Sacha Baron Cohen, Johnny Depp, Toni Collete, Beyonce Knowles, and Meryl Streep collected top acting nominations.

Cohen was nominated for comedy or musical actor for his provocative Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, while Depp was an unexpected nominee in the category for his reprise of the wobbly Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

Other competitors include Aaron Eckhart for Thank You For Smoking, Will Ferrell for Stranger Than Fiction and Chiwetel Ejiofor for Kinky Boots. Collette picked up a bid for the indie hit Little Miss Sunshine in the musical/comedy class, competing against Knowles for the glitzy Dreamgirls and Streep for the hellish fashionista in The Devil Wears Prada. Rounding out the nominees were Annette Bening for Running with Scissors and Renee Zellweger for Miss Potter.

Mel Gibson's bloody epic Apocalypto and Clint Eastwood's World War II saga Letters from Iwo Jima were nominated for foreign language Golden Globes Thursday, potentially boosting their prospects for the upcoming Academy Awards.

Jack Nicholson and Mark Wahlberg of The Departed, Cate Blanchett for Notes on a Scandal and Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy of Dreamgirls were among supporting acting nominees.

The musical penguin tale Happy Feet, the talking autos comedy Cars and the spooky children's flick Monster House were nominated for best animated film of 2006.

Among the stars making the announcement this morning at the Beverly Hilton hotel were Jessica Biel, Rosario Dawson and Matthew Perry.

The awards, now in their 64th year, are determined by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, a group of international journalists who cover Hollywood for foreign news outlets.
    The Golden Globe Awards owes much of its status to the popular NBC telecast, which focuses attention on the films during the critical run-up to the higher-profile Academy Awards.

The live ceremony telecast, set for Jan. 15 is known for irreverent moments, like Jack Nicholson mooning the audience, and other offbeat speeches from stars who otherwise play it super-serious come Oscar time.

The awards recognize both film and television, and this year there is a new category: animated feature. Previously films like Aladdin, The Lion King, and Toy Story ranked in the musical/comedy category. This year, Hollywood's animated efforts will fight it out in their own group.

One award recipient already announced is Warren Beatty, who will collected the Cecil B. DeMille life achievement honor, previously given to Anthony Hopkins, Harrison Ford, Barbra Streisand and Nicholson, among others.
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...ns-story_x.htm

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Golden Globe nominations announced

POSTED: 8:54 a.m. EST, December 14, 2006

(CNN) -- The nominations for the 64th Golden Globes were announced Thursday morning in Los Angeles, California.

The nominees for best drama are "Babel," "Bobby," "The Departed," "Little Children" and "The Queen."

The nominees for best comedy or musical are "Borat," "The Devil Wears Prada," "Dreamgirls," "Little Miss Sunshine" and "Thank You for Smoking."

The nominees for best actor in a drama are Leonardo DiCaprio ("Blood Diamond" and "The Departed"), Peter O'Toole ("Venus"), Will Smith ("The Pursuit of Happyness") and Forest Whitaker ("The Last King of Scotland").

The nominees for best actress in a drama are Penelope Cruz ("Volver"), Judi Dench ("Notes on a Scandal"), Maggie Gyllenhaal ("Sherry Baby"), Helen Mirren ("The Queen") and Kate Winslet ("Little Children").

The nominess for best actor in a comedy or musical are Sasha Baron Cohen ("Borat"), Johnny Depp ("Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest"), Aaron Eckhart ("Thank You for Smoking"), Chiwetel Ejiofor ("Kinky Boots") and Will Ferrell ("Stranger Than Fiction").

The nominees for best actress in a comedy or musical are Annette Bening ("Running with Scissors'), Toni Collette ("Little Miss Sunshine"), Beyonce Knowles ("Dreamgirls"), Meryl Streep ("The Devil Wears Prada") and Renee Zellweger ("Miss Potter").

The nominees for best director are Clint Eastwood ("Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters From Iwo Jima"), Stephen Frears ("The Queen"), Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu ("Babel") and Martin Scorsese ("The Departed").

The nominees for best supporting actor are Ben Affleck ("Hollywoodland"), Eddie Murphy ("Dreamgirls"), Jack Nicholson ("The Departed"), Brad Pitt ("Babel") and Mark Wahlberg ("The Departed").

The nominees for best supporting actress are Adriana Barraza ("Babel"), Cate Blanchett ("Notes on a Scandal"), Emily Blunt ("The Devil Wears Prada"), Jennifer Hudson ("Dreamgirls") and Kikuchi Rinko ("Babel").

The nominees for best screenplay are "Babel," "Little Children," "Notes on a Scandal," "The Departed" and "The Queen."

"Cars," "Happy Feet" and "Monster House" all earned nominations for best animated film.

The winners will be announced at the awards ceremony, scheduled for January 15.
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ons/index.html

• Circle of Ancients

I dunno, I'm somewhat surprised by some of the nominations.

I'm thinking this year the Golden Globes and Oscar's might be totally different.

I was quite surprised to see nominations for Thank you for Smoking. It was a funny movie, okay concept, but it wasn't award worthy IMO.

And how did Monster House get nominated? That movie SUCKED. The animated category is definately a Cars vs. Penguins category.

• Original Mice-Chatter

I liked Monster House.

I liked Cars better though.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

In the animation category, Id be happy with any of them.
    I really wanted to see "Little Children" as I read the book and loved it, but forgot about the movie
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Happy Memories

I was pleasantly surprised with the TV noms. Usually, when it comes to awards, I'm lucky if one show i actually watch gets nominated. This year my three top shows are all nominated for drama series (Heroes, Lost & Grey's).

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I was quite surprised to see nominations for Thank you for Smoking. It was a funny movie, okay concept, but it wasn't award worthy IMO.
    I read the book, and I thought it was pretty good. Fur'ners have a different sense of humor than Americans do, though.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I dunno, I'm somewhat surprised by some of the nominations.

I'm thinking this year the Golden Globes and Oscar's might be totally different.

And how did Monster House get nominated? That movie SUCKED. The animated category is definately a Cars vs. Penguins category.
    I completely agree with you. Cars was well done and well thought out,
    haven't seen Happy Feet, so not sure about that, BUT
    Monster House definitely was a stinker, not even worthy
    as a Halloween special, it sucked! Would have much rather
    seen Open Season in the nominations.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

The nominees list:

MOTION PICTURES
    Picture, Drama
    "Babel," "Bobby," "The Departed," "Little Children," "The Queen"

Actress, Drama
    Penelope Cruz, "Volver"; Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal"; Maggie Gyllenhaal, "Sherrybaby"; Helen Mirren, "The Queen"; Kate Winslet, "Little Children"

Actor, Drama
    Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond"; Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Departed"; Peter O'Toole, "Venus"; Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"; Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland"

Picture, Musical or Comedy
    Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan," "The Devil Wears Prada," "Dreamgirls," "Little Miss Sunshine," "Thank You for Smoking"

Actress, Musical or Comedy
    Annette Bening, "Running With Scissors"; Toni Collette, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Beyonce Knowles, "Dreamgirls"; Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada"; Renee Zellweger, "Miss Potter"

Actor, Musical or Comedy
    Sacha Baron Cohen, "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"; Johnny Depp, "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest"; Aaron Eckhart, "Thank You for Smoking"; Chiwetel Ejiofor, "Kinky Boots"; Will Ferrell, "Stranger than Fiction"

Supporting Actress
    Adriana Barraza, "Babel"; Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal"; Emily Blunt, "The Devil Wears Prada"; Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"; Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel"

Supporting Actor
    Ben Affleck, "Hollywoodland"; Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"; Jack Nicholson, "The Departed"; Brad Pitt, "Babel"; Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed"

Director
    Clint Eastwood, "Flags of Our Fathers"; Clint Eastwood, "Letters from Iwo Jima"; Steven Frears, "The Queen"; Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel"; Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"

Screenplay
    Guillermo Arriaga, "Babel"; Todd Field and Tom Perrotta, "Little Children"; Patrick Marber, "Notes on a Scandal"; William Monahan, "The Departed"; Peter Morgan, "The Queen"

Foreign Language
    "Apocalypto," USA; "Letters from Iwo Jima," USA/Japan; "The Lives of Others," Germany; "Pan's Labyrinth," Mexico; "Volver" Spain

Animated Film
    "Cars," "Happy Feet," "Monster House"

Original Score
    Alexandre Desplat, "The Painted Veil"; Clint Mansell, "The Fountain"; Gustavo Santaolalla, "Babel"; Carlo Siliotto, "Nomad"; Hans Zimmer, "The Da Vinci Code"

Original Song
    "A Father's Way" from "The Pursuit of Happyness"; "Listen" from "Dreamgirls"; "Never Gonna Break My Faith" from "Bobby"; "The Song of the Heart" from "Happy Feet"; "Try Not to Remember" from "Home of the Brave"

TELEVISION
    Series, Drama
    "24," Fox; "Big Love," HBO; "Grey's Anatomy," ABC; "Heroes," NBC; "Lost," ABC

Actress, Drama
    Patricia Arquette, "Medium"; Edie Falco, "The Sopranos"; Evangeline Lilly, "Lost"; Ellen Pompeo, "Grey's Anatomy"; Kyra Sedgwick, "The Closer"

Actor, Drama
    Patrick Dempsey, "Grey's Anatomy"; Michael C. Hall, "Dexter"; Hugh Laurie, "House"; Bill Paxton, "Big Love"; Kiefer Sutherland, "24"

Series, Musical or Comedy
    "Desperate Housewives," ABC; "Entourage," HBO; "The Office," NBC; "Ugly Betty," ABC; "Weeds," Showtime

Actress, Musical or Comedy
    Marcia Cross, "Desperate Housewives"; America Ferrera, "Ugly Betty"; Felicity Huffman, "Desperate Housewives"; Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "The New Adventures of Old Christine"; Mary-Louise Parker, "Weeds"

Actor, Musical or Comedy
    Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock"; Zach Braff, "Scrubs"; Steve Carrell, "The Office"; Jason Lee, "My Name is Earl"; Tony Shalhoub, "Monk"

Miniseries or movie
    "Bleak House," PBS; "Broken Trail," AMC; "Elizabeth I," HBO; "Mrs. Harris," HBO; "Prime Suspect: The Final Act," PBS

Actress, Miniseries or Movie
    Gillian Anderson, "Bleak House"; Annette Bening, "Mrs. Harris"; Helen Mirren, "Elizabeth I"; Helen Mirren, "Prime Suspect: The Final Act"; Sophie Okonedo, "Tsunami, The Aftermath"

Actor, Miniseries or Movie
    Andre Braugher, "Thief"; Robert Duvall, "Broken Trail"; Michael Ealy, "Sleeper Cell: American Terror"; Chiwetel Ejiofor, "Tsunami, The Aftermath"; Ben Kingsley, "Mrs. Harris"; Bill Nighy, "Gideon's Daughter"; Matthew Perry, "The Ron Clark Story"

Supporting Actress, Series, Miniseries or Movie
    Emily Blunt, "Gideon's Daughter"; Toni Collette, "Tsunami, The Aftermath"; Katherine Heigl, "Grey's Anatomy"; Sarah Paulson, "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip"; Elizabeth Perkins, "Weeds"

Supporting Actor, Series, Miniseries or Movie
    Thomas Haden Church, "Broken Trail"; Jeremy Irons, "Elizabeth I"; Justin Kirk, "Weeds"; Masi Oka, "Heroes"; Jeremy Piven, "Entourage"

• Directly directed

LOVED happy feet! Glad to see it's a contender.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Oscar voters lucky that Globe noms define field

By Martin A. Grove
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Dec 20, 2006

Golden Globes: With too many movies to see and not nearly enough time in which to see them, Academy members are lucky to have last week's Golden Globe nominations to help define the field.

Although Hollywood Foreign Press Assn. members nominate a total of 10 best picture candidates because they honor both dramas and musicals-or-comedies, by so doing they give Oscar voters a good sense of what films to make time to catch up with if they haven't seen them earlier in the year. In many cases, of course, Academy members haven't seen films worthy of being nominated because they may not have opened yet or because they may not have been perceived as being important enough to see when they first opened. But honor them with one or more Golden Globe nominations and turn their marketing teams loose and such films can suddenly catapult to the top of DVD screener stacks around town.

With this in mind, I welcomed the opportunity to talk Sunday to HFPA president Phil Berk about the Globes and the role its nominations may play in shaping the Oscar race. The Globes, I observed, is Hollywood's only other major brand name award besides the Academy Award, which remains the industry's most coveted honor. The Globes, however, is probably the only other award in Hollywood that really means anything.

"Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that because there are a number of actors who might feel that winning the New York critics' award is certainly as -- if not more -- prestigious," Berk replied politely. "But the Golden Globe obviously, as you say, does have a brand name -- not just because it's recognizable, not just as an award, but actually as a statue. More importantly, we have a history. All the other new awards that are popping up all over the place have just created themselves within the last few years, but we have a 64 year history."
    full article at http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...462f997cd3b009

• Minion

I just don't get people who didn't like Monster House. It was such a clever, well done, fun movie. I loved the subtle humor in it and the fact that they weren't afraid to make it scary, even though it's a kid's movie.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Schwarzenegger to Announce Best Picture

Source: HFPA
    January 14, 2007

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger will announce the nominations and present the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture (Drama) at "The 64th Annual Golden Globe Awards" to be telecast live on NBC Monday, January 15 (8 - 11:00 p.m. EST) at The Beverly Hilton.

He joins more than 50 superstar presenters including Tim Allen, David Arquette, Drew Barrymore, Jessica Biel, Steve Carell, George Clooney, Sean Combs, Dane Cook, Courteney Cox, Geena Davis, Cameron Diaz, Tina Fey, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner, Hugh Grant, Adrian Grenier, Jake Gyllenhaal, Tom Hanks, Salma Hayek, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Dustin Hoffman, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Djimon Hounsou, Terrence Howard, Felicity Huffman, Jeremy Irons, Eva Longoria, Jennifer Lopez, Sienna Miller, Sarah Jessica Parker, Joaquin Phoenix, Charlie Sheen, David Spade, Steven Spielberg, John Stamos, Ben Stiller, Sharon Stone, Hilary Swank, Justin Timberlake, Naomi Watts, Rachel Weisz, Vanessa Williams, Reese Witherspoon, James Woods, Renee Zellweger and the cast of "Heroes" (Ali Larter, Masi Oka, Greg Grunberg, Adrian Pasdar, Hayden Panettiere, Sendhil Ramamurthy and Milo Ventimiglia).

Tom Hanks will present Warren Beatty with this year's Cecil B. DeMille Award from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for his "outstanding contribution to the entertainment field."

"The 64th Annual Golden Globe Awards" will be seen in more than 150 countries worldwide and is one of the few awards ceremonies to span both television and motion picture achievements.

"The 64th Annual Golden Globe Awards" will be produced by dick clark productions in association with the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Philip Berk is President of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Allen Shapiro and Barry Adelman are executive producers. Chris Donovan is director. Al Schwartz is consulting producer. Ken Shapiro is producer. Ron Weed is consulting producer.

http://www.hfpa.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast