Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Jury can hear of changes to Disney ride after death - OC Register, 12/12/06

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1380691.php

A judge ruled Monday that a jury can hear about changes The Walt Disney Co. made to the Indiana Jones Adventure ride after a woman's death from a ruptured brain aneurysm, which her family contends was triggered by the Disneyland attraction she rode on her honeymoon.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge James R. Dunn issued his ruling as trial approaches in the case brought by the estate of Cristina Moreno of Spain in September 2001.

According to the suit, the 23-year-old Barcelona woman complained of a severe headache after riding the Indiana Jones Adventure on June 25, 2000. She was hospitalized that evening after losing consciousness and was found to have brain hemorrhaging. She died Sept. 1.

Her family's complaint alleges Disney decided to "push the envelope to the extreme" in designing the attraction, creating a ride that is "fast, turbulent, combining the ups and downs of a roller coaster with jarring jumps, drops and unpredictable movements."

Riding the attraction's jeep-style vehicles "shakes and whipsaws riders with such fury that many passengers are forced to seek first aid and in some instances hospitalization," according to the suit. The design has a history of causing injury to riders, causing severe brain bleeding similar to that seen in "shaken-baby syndrome," the complaint alleges.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: Jury can hear of changes to Disney ride after death - OC Register, 12/12/06

Wow. They state Disney pushed the envelope? I'm sorry this lady passed, but I have ridden this many times and have yet to get an anneurism from it. Maybe she already had a preceeding condition that she didn't know about. That's my guess.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Wow. They state Disney pushed the envelope? I'm sorry this lady passed, but I have ridden this many times and have yet to get an anneurism from it. Maybe she already had a preceeding condition that she didn't know about. That's my guess.
    I agree, but what's pathetic is if this case actually goes through all the way it'll pretty much mean that any signage about medical issues at theme parks will be useless. After all, how many signs are there that stat what the ride is going to be like? It's not rocket science!

...Joe...

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Seriously, how "many" park visitors had to get first aid and be hospitalized after riding Indy? I do not know anyone who has.

• Official Mice Chat person

They make it sound like a horrible scary ride, but it's not at all. I don't see how someone could get brain damage from it...

• Directly directed

They have to many warnings and too good lawyers to lose. Although it is sad that the woman died.

"Similar to 'shaken baby syndrome'..." Give me a break! When people have medical problems and then blame Disney, that is dishonoring the person that died. It was tragic and one of those things that happens in life. Why must people blame someone? I notice God wasn't named in the suit!
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

• Knight of Naughtyness

Better yet, the jurors should have to take a trip to Disneyland to ride the ride.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    Seriously, how "many" park visitors had to get first aid and be hospitalized after riding Indy? I do not know anyone who has.
    a few years ago I sprained my wrist riding it. It used to really jerk you around. I was holding on to the metal bar near the bag is for your belongings when it happned. I don't hold on there anymore..

• Shredder

They have toned this attraction down a lot after numerous cases such as this, it's outrageous, but I guess people aren't too cautious when reading the warnings.

Current WDI Imagineer: "But we made great attractions like Pirates of the Carribean!!!"
    Cast Member: "No, WED made Pirates of the Caribbean, you guys made things like 'Spare Park' [DCA]"

• Senior Minion

A lot of what was described on that article is on the sign before you enter the ride in one way or another. I am sorry that the ride aggravated her system to the point where her death occured, but the signs are there for everyone to read - you can't read them ... then I'm sure you can go to City Hall and find a translation.

Plus, has anybody EVER really read the back of their admission ticket to Disneyland???

Guest assumes the inherent risks associated with the operation of all rides and attractions. Read and obey all safety signage, instructions and rules.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Oye vey.

It's not Disney's fault if she had something to begin with and didn't know about it. If she had known about it, she would have been smart to not go on a ride that says on all signs that it is a turbulent attraction warning people with certain medical ailments not to ride.

Since she didn't know about it, no one is at fault. It was just unlucky circumstances.

• Banned User

this ride is how old? i remember riding it back in 99. if it was that dangerous more people would have died or had serious injuries. I do remember it being jerky but that is part of the excitment. it is ia thrill ride after all. I think in this case the anurism would have ruptured if she had been on any fast ride like space mountain or even big thunder. the question i have is did she understand the warnings. it seems that most of the deaths or injuries these days occured to foreign tourists. Just like the little boy who died on mission space, I am not sure they truly understand all the warnings.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I was wondering why I started liking Indiana Jones more lately. At first, I thought it was because I was getting used to the jerkiness, but it seems from reading this that they actually smoothed it out quite a bit. Although it is really sad to see why they had to do it.

That being stated, in general I prefer a smoother ride to a jerky one. I like the rush you fell with the fast, forward-moving motion. When it jerks you around, it takes away from this feeling, so much sometimes that I simply don't enjoy it.

• time to go

When the attraction first opened in '95, it was a much rougher ride than it is now. It was nearly impossible to enjoy the ride without holding on to the bar in front. I remember riding three consecutive times during early entry on one trip in its opening year, and having very sore upper arms the next morning. And I was doing Pilates workouts nearly every day at that time.

The Indy of today is nothing like the Indy of 11 years ago.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast