Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Disneyland's Grier talks about his plans for the park - OC Register, 12/12/06

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1380887.php

Q. Disney's California Adventure there's been some talk about possible changes there. What can you tell me?

A. Well, like I said before, we're constantly trying and we do improve our parks and the experience for our guests and we listen to our guests. California Adventure has had some significant improvements, in my mind: Tower of Terror opened; the Monsters Inc. attraction. So those are two. And if you look out there's a little bit of construction going on, there's a new attraction that will open and I can't give that one away yet, but I will tell you, it's an interactive attraction and it's going to add some totally new excitement when it opens out there. Don't want to tell you everything but if you like interactive, being part of, immersed into the attraction, you're going to love this attraction that opens in '08.

Q.Any update on a third gate?

A.Third gate? We only have two (laughs).

Q.I know there's only two now, but there's a piece of land off of Harbor (Boulevard) that Disney owns, isn't there?

A.Yes, there is.

Q.Any plans for that?

A.Land is very valuable in this part of the country as we know. So we're making plans on how we could expand our property and adding more exciting new things for our guests, but we're not at a point now where we can really talk about those.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland's Grier talks about his plans for the park - OC Register, 12/12/06

So...not much in the way of plans, eh? I guess none that he's willing to share with us!
    <o>

• Disneyland Cast Member

Re: Disneyland's Grier talks about his plans for the park - OC Register, 12/12/06

Q.As you mentioned, the Disneyland Resort tends to draw much of its business from residents of Southern California, so you get a lot of repeat visitors. Can they expect to see any new attractions in the parks in the near future?
    A.We're going to bring back the subs. 20,000 Leagues was the location. That closed a while ago.

Way to go Ed! Last time I replayed my childhood memories 20,000 Leagues was at Walt Disney World. The old 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea set attraction was not located in the same spot as the sub's adventure thru liquid space. He really needs to get out into the part more. Most of us CMs think of Ed more as a legend than a real person. At least we use to see Cynthia all the time. The holiday party is the first time I've ever seen him.

• Pathetically Obsessed

It's all party-line speak. Vague, but encouraging people to keep checking out the parks. The PR flaks are proud!

I'd love to see Mr. Grier step out on his own like Matt, but until Jay Rusalo is promoted or fired, I doubt that's going to happen.

• Banned User

sounds like puppet speak to me. he can't say anything because he hasn't planned anything and I am not sure he is even in on the planning. I mean matt started the subs, and midway mania was in the planning stages. what is he planning? nothing

• Banned User

I love you Grier!

• Earth Intruder

Q.The Disneyland Resort employs 20,000 people. How do you recruit new employees to keep those properties staffed as the cost of living in Orange County rises?
    A. I think recruiting is a challenge for all businesses in this part of the country. I think the unemployment rate is 3.6 percent, which is very, very low. So there's a lot of choices for our cast members that we try to recruit. So that's the biggest challenge … But we have great opportunities for cast members who come here. It's a great learning experience. We have lifelong lessons they learn when they come here from a leadership standpoint, dealing with the guests. So we feel very good about our cast members that we get here.
    Q. Does Disneyland need to make an initiative in terms of creating more local affordable housing opportunities for cast members?
    A. Well, affordable housing is an issue for all of Anaheim and all of Orange County. So it isn't a Disney issue per se. Certainly we are supportive of the efforts that Anaheim is striking out on to improve affordable housing in the area.
    Wow, way to hedge the question!!!

Q: "Why don't you pay employees enough to live in OC?"
    A: "We have great opportunities here!"

Q: "Does Disneyland need to try and make housing affordable for CMs?"
    A: "Not necessarily, affordable housing is something we are all looking for along the road of life. It's a Small World After All!"

Has anyone seen this guy around the park talking to guests or CMs? Or does he just trot out for CM parties and limo rides?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Q: "Why don't you pay employees enough to live in OC?"
    A: "We have great opportunities here!"

Q: "Does Disneyland need to try and make housing affordable for CMs?"
    A: "Not necessarily, affordable housing is something we are all looking for along the road of life. It's a Small World After All!"
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Minion

hmmmmm....

• Minion FOREVER!

Well, at least he's wearing a name tag....

• Rock Star Minion

I don't see how anyone is expecting to live on their own as a park CM. Park CM positions are for kids/adults living with their parents while going to high school/ college.
    That there is so much turnover suggests that either the CMs don't like the conditions, or that TDA doesn't like the CM's it's hiring. Which is it, Mr Grier? You say you're happy with the CMs you're hiring, so, it must be that the CMs quit on their own.
    So, why are they quitting? Why is the turnover so high? Why are positions not getting filled fast enough, that you have to provide a huge incentive to get people to work there?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

With a Prez that gives us vague answers and then gives an appearance of not knowing 'what is going on' Here's an example of a THREAD that will appear in MiceChat in 2012:

So MiceChatters, what do you all think about reopening the Peoplemover?

Last edited by Disneyland Daddy; 12-13-2006 at 03:56 PM. Reason: misspelling

•   
    • Minion

Yeah... That's it... That's what I think...
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by Disnerd View Post
    Q.As you mentioned, the Disneyland Resort tends to draw much of its business from residents of Southern California, so you get a lot of repeat visitors. Can they expect to see any new attractions in the parks in the near future?
    A.We're going to bring back the subs. 20,000 Leagues was the location. That closed a while ago.

Way to go Ed! Last time I replayed my childhood memories 20,000 Leagues was at Walt Disney World. The old 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea set attraction was not located in the same spot as the sub's adventure thru liquid space. He really needs to get out into the part more. Most of us CMs think of Ed more as a legend than a real person. At least we use to see Cynthia all the time. The holiday party is the first time I've ever seen him.

I was wondering if I was the only one to catch that. The interview was pretty much what i was expecting anyway. A lot of hush-hush talk about things most die-hard fans already know well about.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

David Koenig discusses the OC Register article over at MousePlanet.... Well worth reading....

http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mt061214dk

For five months now, I've been tirelessly searching for proof of the existence of Ed Grier. I've seen his name in press releases and his picture at media events, but I've never actually seen him. In fact, I don't personally know any guest who's had a "Grier sighting," as was common with the previous president of Disneyland, the ultra-visible Matt Ouimet.

Cast members, too, don't see nearly as much of him, outside of scripted appointments—giving a speech at a press event or community outreach, accompanying an Imagineer or executive to the Finding Nemo submarine attraction construction site, smiling at the Christmas party. His personality and thoughts have been equally absent from his quotes in newspaper articles, which no doubt were crafted by cagey P.R. staffers.

So it was with wild glee that yesterday morning I opened the business section of The Orange County Register to discover that reporter Andrew Galvin had bagged the big prize: an exclusive interview with Grier himself! Finally, I was going to get to learn a little bit about what this man was like, what he had to bring to Disneyland, what issues he was looking to address, and what his plans were for the future.
    Much more at the link....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast