• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Carmike keeps it Real D times 500 - The Hollywood Reporter 12/14/06

Carmike keeps it Real D times 500

By Nicole Sperling
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Dec 14, 2006

Real D's quest to install 1,000 3-D screens by the end of next year got one step closer Wednesday. The 3-D technology provider said Carmike Cinema has committed to install 500 Real D screens, with 200 screens to be deployed by March, in time for Buena Vista Pictures' "Meet the Robinsons."

Atlanta-based Carmike's agreement brings Real D's committed screen count to 850 worldwide. The company received a significant bump after Buena Vista's 3-D reissue of "Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas" caught fire with audiences in October, grossing more than $8 million in 168 theaters.

"I'm thrilled by this, and I'm hopeful that this is just the beginning of some expansion of the Real D locations," Buena Vista distribution president Chuck Viane said. "On a financial basis, it's really going to help us on 'Meet the Robinsons,' which I hope will be further expanded in October when we reissue 'Nightmare Before Christmas.' The dawning of the 3-D world is just about to happen."

Beyond the Walt Disney Co.'s commitment to Real D, which included 2005's "Chicken Little," Sony Pictures has embraced the format with its release of the animated "Monster House" this year and Paramount's upcoming Robert Zemeckis film "Beowulf."

"We are excited to finalize this agreement with Carmike and appreciate their vision regarding the future of exhibition," Real D chairman Michael Lewis said. "With this agreement, we are guaranteed to reach our 1,000th screen in 2007."

Real D said Carmike has 129 digital theaters equipped throughout its circuit, thanks to its relationship with digital cinema provider Access IT. The theater chain already has installed 19 Real D 3-D screens. The remaining 300 Real D screens Carmike committed to will be installed by the end of next year.

"The ability to bring moviegoers this revolutionary 3-D format is an exciting advance and gives us the ability to provide differentiated content," Carmike chairman, president and CEO Michael Patrick said. "Real D is delivering what moviegoers want and demand: Quality films in unique and immersive formats."
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...bf9feeade88c10

• Why do you keep talking?

Re: Carmike keeps it Real D times 500 - The Hollywood Reporter 12/14/06

now if only the thatre near me would get it so I wouldn't have to drive so far just to watch a movie in 3-D...
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Re: Carmike keeps it Real D times 500 - The Hollywood Reporter 12/14/06

Our local Carmike recently upgraded their projectors, I wonder if they added these?
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.