• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Santa Look-a-like Gets Heave-Ho At Disney - WFOR (CBS4), Orlando 12/15/06

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_349110023.html

Note: The Video on the right hand side of the screen has a more detailed report than the printed article.

A strange case of mistaken identity has left a Florida man shaking his head after the man, who resembles Santa Claus, was kicked out of Disney World.

The whole mess began when a group of excited children created a scene at Disney World after they confused a 60-year old Florida man, with St. Nick himself.

The rotund-white bearded man graciously played along with the dreamy eyed kids, and that sparked problems with the Orlando theme park management.

Apparently doing the “ho-ho-ho” got the Spring Hill resident the heave-ho from Disney World.

Disney officials say they kicked him out of the park because he wasn’t a character already approved by Disney management.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Re: Santa Look-a-like Gets Heave-Ho At Disney - WFOR (CBS4), Orlando 12/15/06

OMG! That's horrible!

I hope our own Santa look-alike here never experiences that at Disneyland.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

WDW management needs to lighten up. Sheesh.

• Iron-Clad Allie

This is just another example of why the so-called Magic Kingdom in Orlando is on it's way to being given the heave-ho by Disney theme park goers. So long park...don't let the turnstyles hit you on the way out.

Disneyland management would never pull an idiotic trick such as kicking a guest out of the park simply because they bear a likeness to Saint Nick - even if he was playing along with the fantasies of a few kids in order to make them happy. Afterall, we're talking about "The Happiest Place On Earth".

This is just another case in point why Disneyland is the original and only true Magic Kingdom. Orlando's so called Magic Kingdom is becoming less relevant each year. Disneyland is superior in terms of rides and attractions, cleanliness, and the overall guest experience as provided by CM's and management in every area and at each level of the park.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

I think the worst part of that entire article above was referring to WDW as "the happiest place on Earth". Uh... Hello? That's DISNEYLAND!!!!

• Santa Barbara, CA

Thank goodness for those Disney Standards. I like to go to sleep at night knowing that Marilyn Manson can get into a Disney Park with his "approved costume" and Santa does not.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

There is a reason why Disney does not allow adults to enter the parks in costume. It's a scurity risk, and can put Disney at risk for a lawsuit if somebody is injured because of their costume or because of the costumed guest. I do understand this man was only wearing a Santa hat though...

I don't think it was unfair of Disney to ask the man to stop. He shouldn't have played along. When the first kid asked him if he was Santa Claus, he should have said "No, sorry! But thanks for the compliment!" or something like that.

I don't think it is appropriate for this man to be pretending to be Santa anywhere. Not at a shopping mall, grocery store, or Disney World. Not unless he was hired by somebody to do so.

Not only that, but the man was breaking the illusion he was trying to maintain. By telling these kids he was Santa, he was ruining the Disney-approved illusion of Santa that they have in their park. He probably didn't want to disappoint the kids... but kids aren't dumb. They meet Santa in Tomorrowland, but see him signing autographs in his real costume down on Main Street in Town Square! Talk about ruining the kid's holiday dreams, or at least making them really confused and forcing the parents to answer difficult questions about Mr. Claus!

The guy shouldn't have worn a Santa hat. He may not be able to help that he looks like Santa, but come on... wearing a Santa hat? Give me a break.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Iron-Clad Allie

Michael Jackson wore a masked costume during various visits to WDW. It's difficult to understand protocol guidelines that consider Santa a security risk, while the Wacko Jacko is considered guest friendly.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Master Gracey, I agree with you!! I have two young boys and I would not want them to go up to a strange man and have him pretend to be Santa Claus or any other character.

If Disney didn't stop this fake Disney Cast Member I would have serious issues with them.

Besides, if they didn't stop this alleged Santa, what's to stop anybody from dressing as any Disney character and impersonating a Disney Cast Member? I could dress as Peter Pan and tell all kids to follow me to Never Land! C'mon with me! I'll read you a story. Do people think that would be okay?

I'm glad you posted that message!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Michael Jackson wore a masked costume during various visits to WDW. It's difficult to understand protocol guidelines that consider Santa a security risk, while the Wacko Jacko is considered guest friendly.
    Michael Jackson got special treatment because he's a celebrity.

This man posing as Santa was not a celebrity.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |