Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

OMG... Rocky 6 (aka Rocky Balboa) is actually a REALLY Good film!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/....jsp?&rid=8554

There's a disarming quality to Stallone's thoughtful script that has a way of stopping smirking skeptics right in their tracks, as if to say: "Yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking. But at least give me a shot here."

And darned if that gently self-effacing approach doesn't melt away those preconceived notions.

With his beloved Adrian having passed away, Rocky trudges along the streets of his South Philly neighborhood like a man who's been beaten down by the ravages of time and bittersweet memories of all-too-distant glories.
    http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...goryid=31&cs=1

After having seemingly been put out to pasture for good, the Italian Stallion returns after a 16-year hiatus for yet another comeback in "Rocky Balboa." The time away from the ring has done Rocky and the franchise some good, although it takes pic a good long while to gather momentum and clout before a surprisingly satisfying third-act heavyweight bout. Absence has fostered a certain fondness toward Stallone's mythic underdog that will translate into solid if not quite K.O. B.O. through the holidays, with fine vid tourneys to follow in '07.

The long stretch away from the ring for Philly's favorite son -- and for Stallone as director, it's been a full 21 years since "Rocky IV" -- has allowed a certain coursecorrection toward the grimier, small-scale sensibility of the 1976 original, helmed by John Avildsen. The title itself, eschewing the increasingly risible Roman numerals, denotes a change required after Avildsen's bloated "Rocky V," even as certain aspects of previous entry's storyline have been conveniently or oddly ignored in Stallone's script.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: OMG... Rocky 6 (aka Rocky Balboa) is actually a REALLY Good film!

It's not that I don't believe you.

But....Rocky SIX?

We'll probably wait for the DVD.

• Shablagoo!

The reviews I have read so far indicate its pretty good. Stallone has been doing a great QNA over at Aint It Cool News.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I want to see it just for Milo Ventamiglia. A little fan girl, I am.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I have trouble believing that this film is going to be good. I just got bitterly disappointed by Eragon.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I heard a couple of radio guys talking about this movie the other day and two out of three were embarrassed to admit that they actually teared up. All of them were amazed at how great it was, though.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• Circle of Ancients

Stallone has come out and admitted on more than one occasion that Rocky 5 was a mistake and a bad movie. He won't get too many arguments from me.

Notice that in the article they even say 21 years since Rocky 4. It's like 5 doesn't even exist ... and it shouldn't.

I'm actually glad Adrian is gone, she was annoying. I really didn't have any desire to see this, but it's getting good reviews.

• Goofy

I guess this will be a good movie to watch.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

bleck. My husband will go to see this, I'm sure. My four year old actually loves Rocky. When she was just barely two, we had to buy the soundtrack and listen over and over and over. Ever feel like flinging yourself out of a moving vehicle? Anyway, I think I could stand to wait until this one comes out on DVD. I THINK I can stand the wait.

My husband LOVES Rocky, and on several occasions I have been forced through a Rocky weekend Marathon by him. But we went last night, (it was our first date in over a year and a half!) and... I gotta say,
    I Freakin' Loved it!!!!
    The beginning did drag, it just had to catch everyone up with plenty of flashbacks...but once it got going, it was pretty good! The fight was awesome. The direction of that sequnce alone was amazing for an art standpoint. The only thing, I wish there had been more training, that was always my favorite part. They skipped through the training in this movie, and traded it in for the nostalgia.
    How many times can you go to a movie and hear the audience cheering? and nobody minds, but everyone it seemed was whispering "go Rock!"
    So, if your husbands/boyfriends want to drag you to Rocky Balboa, its pretty darn good!
    I reject your reality, and subsitute my own!

• cold kickin' it.

i haven't seen it, but i'm positive it will not touch the epic battles with apollo creed, clubber lang, and ivan drago.

here's my beef. i'm a boxing fan and i can't take this movie seriously because there's no way in hell that a 60 year old fighter could come back and even compete with a guy like antonio tarver (who plays rocky's opponent in the movie). NO WAY!! i know foreman came back, but he was only in his mid 40's. that's a lot younger than 60.

it just sounds completely ridiculous to me. rocky 5 was terrible and should have never been made and i'm sad to see that sly stallone is so hard up that he has to rape the franchise that made him famous. shame on you, stallone!! SHAME!!!
    I don't party like I used to, I party twice as hard as before....

Quote Originally Posted by kylelicious View Post
    it just sounds completely ridiculous to me. rocky 5 was terrible and should have never been made and i'm sad to see that sly stallone is so hard up that he has to rape the franchise that made him famous. shame on you, stallone!! SHAME!!!
    I gotta tell you, it was nowhere NEAR Rocky 5. It really had the heart of the first 2. (after the first two, its a fight to get the gun barrel out of my mouth.)
    I know it would be impossible in real life...but its still fun to root for the underdog again!
    I reject your reality, and subsitute my own!

• cold kickin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartdisney View Post
    I gotta tell you, it was nowhere NEAR Rocky 5. It really had the heart of the first 2. (after the first two, its a fight to get the gun barrel out of my mouth.)
    I know it would be impossible in real life...but its still fun to root for the underdog again!
    i'm sure it's a good film, but i really doubt that i'd be able to enjoy it. when it comes to sports films, because i'm really into sports, i can't stand watching things that could never happen in real life.

here's a perfect example. a lot of people really liked million dollar baby, i thought it was ridiculous. the whole cheap shot, hit the head on the stool deal at the end would never happen in the ring. ever.

i'm glad you liked it though.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

I have heard from a few who saw it today... They Loved it... and only one out of the 3 was an oldschool "Rocky" Fan... The other 2 who just went to kill time in the rain today, actually LOVED it.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• cold kickin' it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast