• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Disney increases its Internet budget, lightens TV & print - adweek 12/11/06

The House of Mouse continued a shift toward the nontraditional by nearly doubling the percentage of its budget devoted to the Internet during the first nine months of 2006. By spending more than $100 million on the Web (up from $63 million), Disney was No. 1 in terms of overall budget spent online, but second among the top 10 (behind AT&T) in nontraditional outlays.

Meanwhile, the company spent 15 percent less on TV ($457 million), dropping it from 50 to 45 percent of its budget), and 14 percent less on print ($264 million). Not all traditional media was on the downswing, though: Disney bucked a trend by lifting its radio spend from 10 to 13 percent of its budget ($128 million).
    http://www.adweek.com/aw/search/arti..._id=1003495293

• Senior Minion

Re: Disney increases its Internet budget, lightens TV & print - adweek 12/11/06

Hmmm ... maybe it will improve gameplay on VMK and I won't get disconnected as much ... at least I'm hoping that's what this means.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch74 View Post
    Hmmm ... maybe it will improve gameplay on VMK and I won't get disconnected as much ... at least I'm hoping that's what this means.
    This isn't really about VMK. The budgeting numbers refer to how much money Disney is spending on advertising, and right now they have a heavy concentration of ads on the Internet--and it's only going to get bigger.

This is consistent with Disney's overall focus on online media/entertainment, whether delivering programming via streaming video or download, providing online gaming (like VMK), or promoting their theme parks through Disney websites. As more and more entertainment companies are bridging the gap between broadcast and online programming, Disney is the company leading the way.

•   
    • Minion

Well, they need to continue to develop and support media content on the web. Not just for disney brands and ESPN, both with pretty good established web presences, but ABC and ABCNews which really need help...

When an Charlie Gibson promotes ABCNews.com, you want that experiance to be positive... right now it is very messy, bulky and clunky in comparison to the competition... I think they could do a better job with a minimal amount of investment...
    Check out my other blog: