• Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: 'Ocean's 13' 6/8/07

A Kiss from George Clooney Sells for $350,000

THURSDAY MAY 24, 2007 09:00 AM EDT
    By Courtney Rubin
    People.com

Clooney and the lucky lady Photo by: Dave Hogan / Getty

Sharon Stone put George Clooney on the auction block Wednesday for a good cause: AIDS research.

Clooney and his Ocean's Thirteen co-stars Matt Damon, Don Cheadle, Andy Garcia and Ellen Barkin made a brief appearance at the annual Cinema Against AIDS dinner, which raised a record $7 million for the Foundation for AIDS Research (amfAR).

As Clooney and his castmates auctioned off a seven-day Mediterranean getaway on a private boat, Stone announced: "If you bid, one of these guys will come down and touch you. And you can choose which one."

But the choice was clear. With flourish and on stage Clooney promptly kissed the lucky girlfriend of the winning bidder, who'd ponied up $350,000.

"I'll kiss [Clooney] for $500,000," joked Ellen Barkin. And as dozens of guests clicked their camera phones, Clooney then kissed her, too.
    http://www.people.com/people/article...040082,00.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    So excited!

Ocean's Thirteen

Pic continues the breezy good times of the first two series entries without missing a beat.

full review at:
    http://www.variety.com/VE1117933755.html
    This is good news. Both Clooney and Soderbergh have acknowledged that '12' fell way short of expectations. They wanted to do '13' to fix what went wrong.

Making a boatload of money was probably a motivating factor as well.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Better writers this time around helped. Loved 'Rounders'!

'Ocean's' gang ready for fourth
    Damon says 'no' to more 'Bourne'

By Anne Thompson
    Variety
    Posted: Thurs., May 24, 2007, 9:44am PT

CANNES -- Raucous laughter hit the Palais during the morning screening of "Ocean's Thirteen," which was followed by an equally entertaining press conference as Steven Soderbergh and his "Ocean's Thirteen" gang goofed on themselves and the assembled press corps.

When asked about the quality of scripts today, master quipster George Clooney replied that "Ocean's Thirteen" is one for the history books.

"This film is a cry for peace," he said with a straight face. "We thought we were in competition."

While the fate of a fourth "Ocean's" is in the air, the ensemble seemed good to go.

However Matt Damon won't do a fourth "Bourne," he said: "We have ridden that horse as far as we can." He admitted to feeling like "a bit of a prostitute for putting out two number threes in one year."

"That's better than three number twos," added Clooney.

When asked about one of the film's running gags involving Oprah Winfrey, Andy Garcia confessed, "I had to sleep with Oprah in order to do the show."

"That's the headline," sighed Clooney.

Brad Pitt, while insisting that "The Assassination of Jesse James" missed its first fall deadline but will make its second, noted that the absent Al Pacino, who stayed in Los Angeles to attend his American Film Institute tribute, "took notes from each of us, and settled in after a few weeks. He raised our respectability and we brought his down."

"We try to bring the classy guys down," added Clooney.

On a more serious note, continuing one of the themes of this year's globally conscious festival, Clooney admitted that he used Cannes as "an international platform to raise awareness of something that's important to all of us," the crisis in Darfur, he said. The "Ocean's" gang also turned up at Wednesday night's AmfAR event, which raised a record $7.5 million and sold a Clooney kiss for $350,000.

Soderbergh, who won the Palme d'Or for "sex, lies and videotape" 18 years ago, insisted that making a romp like "Ocean's Thirteen" is nonetheless hard to do.

"There's an assumption that if we're making an entertaining film we're not as engaged, interested or passionate about it," he said. "I don't think any of the people here feel that way. The 'Ocean's' films are more difficult, more tricky than the films I've gotten attention for."

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...117965761&cs=1
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I'm SOOOOOO excited!!! I absolutely adored 11.......had to take everyone I knew to see it in the theaters. Hated 12.....seriously, who didn't? And they freakin added Al Pacino.....it could only get better if they added Johnny Depp. And I haven't even seen it yet!!! Hubby said they could have had George, Brad and Al just sit at a table for 2 hours and I'd watch it.......yep, he's right. I'll be there opening day.

I'm such a movie geek..

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

OCEAN'S THIRTEEN

A Hand & Footprint Ceremony at Grauman’s Chinese Theatre Will Be Followed by Special Benefit Premieres to Raise Money and Awareness for the Humanitarian Crisis in Darfur

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The all-star cast and the filmmakers from the much-anticipated caper comedy “Ocean’s Thirteen” will be crossing the country for major events leading up to the June 8th release of the film.

Combining film and philanthropy, two of the events will serve to benefit the aid group the International Rescue Committee for Not On Our Watch. Co-founded by producer Jerry Weintraub, and “Ocean’s Thirteen” stars George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon and Don Cheadle, Not On Our Watch is a humanitarian organization whose initiative is to support existing Darfur relief efforts and to ensure the protection of civilians in that region.

Jerry Weintraub remarked, “It was such a privilege to reunite with Steven Soderbergh and an amazing cast to make ‘Ocean’s Thirteen.’ I am very proud of the film, and I am excited about premiering the film in multiple cities across the country. However, the thing I am most proud of by far is that these events will benefit a cause that is very important to me and my colleagues.”
    Tuesday, June 5th 11:30AM

WHAT:
    Hand and Footprint Ceremony with George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, and Producer Jerry Weintraub, having their hand and footprints immortalized in cement in the famed forecourt of Grauman's Chinese Theatre in celebration of their new movie, "Ocean's Thirteen."

WHO:
    George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, and Producer Jerry Weintraub.

This film has been rated PG-13 by the MPAA for "brief sensuality."

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Saw the film. So. Much. Fun. I'd vote Eddie Izzard for MVP this time around. If you loved '11', you'll be thrilled. See you @ '14'!

photo gallery here:
    Warner Bros. Pictures, Village Roadshow Pictures, Jerry Weintraub and Section 8 Productions Host the North American Premiere of "Ocean's Thirteen"
    June 5, 2007 - Grauman's Chinese Theater
    Los Angeles, California United States
    http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryList...=268730&nbc1=1

http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryList...=276601&nbc1=1
    Last edited by ALIASd; 06-06-2007 at 01:51 PM.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Oh man, I am sooo jealous! I am a HUGE fan of this franchise (hey, I even enjoyed 12) and I can't wait until Sunday night when I can see 13!

To me, this franchise is about old school Hollywood style and cool- it doesn't take itself too seriously and treats all the major players as stars, not just Clooney and Pitt.

I wish I had more movies like this too look forward to.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

The film opens today, WB is projecting a minimum $35 million weekend take, and is aiming to overtake 'Pirates' for #1 spot. Hopefully 'Hostel 2' doesn't erode their numbers too much.

ON THE COVER
    Last edited by ALIASd; 06-08-2007 at 01:00 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Mmmm, cannot wait to see this one!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

I just got back from seeing it, and I really enjoyed it!

It was a lot better than 12!
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

One better!

"Ocean's" earns $13.5 million Friday

Heist comedy should sail to No. 1

By Ian Mohr
    Variety
    June 9, 2007

Warner Bros.' "Ocean's Thirteen" rolled to $13.1 million, according to Friday estimates. Pic was riding in the No. 1 slot heading into the full weekend.

In No. 2 was Universal's "Knocked Up," which brought in $6.2 million. Pic has cumed $52.6 million so far.

Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" sailed close behind at $6.1 million. Pic had cumed $239.5 million through its Friday estimated take.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR250...goryid=-1&cs=1

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Saw it this afternoon. What a disappointment.

Everyone looks good and Clooney and Pitt have charm to spare, but the movie has such a been there/done that feel, I just couldn't get into it. There's never any doubt that the gang's going to pull off the caper--not even a moment of "gee, how are they going to get out of this one?" It's such a retread of the first movie, you can see the so-called "twists" a mile away. I actually liked "12" better, and I wasn't expecting to say that.

Most of the cast phones it in, as if just being in the movie and hanging with each other makes them cool. The exceptions are old pros Carl Reiner and Al Pacino (in delightfully oily Steve Wynn mode) who seem to be the only people having any fun. And what a waste of Ellen Barkin. I so wanted her role as Pacino's tough-as-nails assistant to be a mature, slightly campy version of her sexy-dangerous character in Sea of Love (also with Pacino). Instead, she's forced to play middle-aged desperate in an awkward "romantic" scene with Matt Damon. She deserved better.

In this week's cover story in "Entertainment Weekly," Brad Pitt jokes about how George Clooney just did Ocean's 13 for the money. After seeing the movie, I think the joke's on us.

• Circle of Ancients

Awww, that's sad to hear Disneytim. I was looking forward to seeing this.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Just got back from it.
    I wasn't disappointed because I had low expectations and they were met! As usual, I had no idea what was going on. The eye candy was plenty and it had some humorous moments. But like tim said, there wasn't much suspense. And, there are kinda 2 storylines going on (among the usual several to set it all up) and the second just seemed unnecessary. They could have scrapped that and fleshed out the other.

Al Pacino bugged the heck out of me too. I preferred every scene that didn't have him it. And his glasses were distracting - bad call.

And one thing seemed totally implaudable:
    Spoiler
    The elevator part, those things were whooshing up and down pretty fast. I don't think any even stopped.

But Brad Pitt is hot and that is all that matters!!! Esp. in the last scene mmmmm, yes.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Ocean's Thirteen' wins weekend

Heist film knocks down 'Pirates'

George Clooney in 'Ocean's Thirteen.'

By Ian Mohr
    Variety
    June 10, 2007

Warner Bros.-Village Roadshow's "Ocean's Thirteen" launched to $37.1 million, which was on a par with the first two entries in the series and enough to ensure the B.O. crown -- but a reminder, after three socko launches in May, that not every film in the Summer of Sequels is going to ignite the boxoffice with record-breaking figures.

Overall, the weekend was pretty tepid, but "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and "Knocked Up" proved impressively durable, relegating Sony Animation's newcomer, "Surf's Up," to fourth place while Lionsgate's "Hostel: Part II" bowed at No. 6, taking in just $8.8 million.

The first "Hostel" pic bowed in January 2006 to $19.5 million; a summer opener, in a particularly crowded marketplace, proved a gamble that didn't pay off for the distrib.

"Ocean's Thirteen" also shifted from the winter debut of its predecessors into a summer slot.

The $37.1 million opening for "Ocean's Thirteen" didn't quite match the perf of the previous entries in the franchise. "Ocean's Twelve," despite poor critical notices, hauled in $39.1 million in its first frame; "Ocean's Eleven" did $38.1 million in its debut.

Latest installment -- penned by Brian Koppelman and David Levien, and produced by Jerry Weintraub -- scored slightly below expectations despite the kind of critical support that that few other popcorn pics have enjoyed so far this summer. Tracking data had the pic on a pace to jump ahead of the other two films in the series by taking in around $40 million.

But Warners distribution topper Dan Fellman said he expects the pic to wind up with the biggest opening week of any of movie in the franchise by picking up healthy midweek biz during its summer playtime.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast