Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Walt Disney Imagineering

This is a question for those of you who are/or have any info about WDI. Now im soon to go to college and im destined to be apart of the Imagineeing crew, it's been a dream of mine for years. The thing is i cannot find any information on any of the fields of major, how to exactly be one, and on the company period!!! Does anyone have any info or advice for me. I was thinking about mailing a letter to WDI asking for information but i dont know if ill get a response. Also i was wondering if they have WDI in Tokyo of France, or is it all just one WDI....Thanks a bunch.
    pshhh i guess

• Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Walt Disney Imagineering

Here is a site that you will love, it answers every little question on planning your WDI career with the exception of "how to remove the dagger in your back" once you suggest a new idea.

http://www.themedattraction.com/design.htm
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

well, there is this site that has a lot of info on it... http://homepage.mac.com/wlwesq/Imagineering/

there is a ton of links that may help you start your career with Disney, I too would soon like a job with WDI...

•   
    • Minion

Those sites look good...

I would focus on CalArts first. But that is just me... I know that they have a LOT of disney contacts, which is why that program is numero uno in my book.

If you don't make it, because their programs are very competitive, just do your best... I know that CalArts has programs that are less competative that you may be interested in...
    Check out my other blog:

THANK YOU GUYS A BUNCH, i really appreciate it!!!!!
    pshhh i guess

• Former Epcot CM

Each resort around the world has an outpost of Walt Disney Imagineering bar Disneyland due to it's proximity to the headquarters. Walt Disney World in fact has two; at Epcot and the Disney-MGM Studios. Disneyland Paris' offices are where the former Walt Disney Feature Animation Paris studios were, and both Tokyo and Hong Kong also have outposts.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

in Paris there is 2 Differents Imagineering .

There's DLPI based in Paris like TDA or something in Anaheim . Their job are making new signs , shops etc.... and most of those imagineers are french or former WDI Imagineers .

There is EDLI ( Euro Disneyland Imagineering ) based in Glendale who decide the Ride Projects for Disneyland Paris depending on their budgets .
    HKDL : Done !!!

Well I am really intrested in Tokyo/Hong Kong, any info on that?
    pshhh i guess

• oh bugger

I think the links people have given are helpful, but it really depends on what field you are most interested in. Depending on that certain schools will be much better than others. If you want to design the rides vs. build them and many various other possibilities. Generally Imagineering is Disney's architecture firm, but they are so much more than just that.

Engineering, architecture, graphic design, set design, electrical and structural engineering, and so many more.

I do suggest writing to WDI, I wrote to Marty Sklar years ago, they have a pretty standard packet of advice from former and current Imagineers on what they did to get their jobs. It's pretty useful.

Lastly, CALarts is an amazing art school, but if you aren't lucky enough to be one of the very few who get the opportunity to attend don't be discouraged. Not everyone at Imagineering went there.

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52 View Post
    I think the links people have given are helpful, but it really depends on what field you are most interested in. Depending on that certain schools will be much better than others. If you want to design the rides vs. build them and many various other possibilities. Generally Imagineering is Disney's architecture firm, but they are so much more than just that.

Engineering, architecture, graphic design, set design, electrical and structural engineering, and so many more.

I do suggest writing to WDI, I wrote to Marty Sklar years ago, they have a pretty standard packet of advice from former and current Imagineers on what they did to get their jobs. It's pretty useful.

Lastly, CALarts is an amazing art school, but if you aren't lucky enough to be one of the very few who get the opportunity to attend don't be discouraged. Not everyone at Imagineering went there.
    thank you for the info. I want to design attractions, actually i'm really shooting for Architecture and/or Engineering but i heard they really have no input on attractions. What are career choices that do have input. Also, i heard the job is more sentimentally rewarding than finacially rewarding, i that true?
    pshhh i guess

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Treat View Post
    Also, i heard the job is more sentimentally rewarding than finacially rewarding, i that true?
    Yes.

Precisely why you should avoid any and all psychotherapeutic intervention prior to submitting your portfolio.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    Yes.

Precisely why you should avoid any and all psychotherapeutic intervention prior to submitting your portfolio.

This is obviously so that you can save your money and spend it on the psychotherapeutic intervention needed after submitting your portfolio...
    Check out my other blog:

• Self service witchdoctor

As I used to prescribe back in the bush..."Take two Sklars and call me in the morning".

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    This is obviously so that you can save your money and spend it on the psychotherapeutic intervention needed after submitting your portfolio...
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

I thought the whole Imagineering dept. was going to be gutted and everything contracted out? The way things are nowdays I wouldn't be getting my hopes up to spend your life in Imagineering. Just something to keep in mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast