View Poll Results: Rate Dream Girls (please vote only if you have seen the film)

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • ***** - One of the best movies of the year

5 71.43%
  • **** - Good

1 14.29%
  • *** - Average

0 0%
  • ** - Some problems

0 0%
  • * - Avoid

1 14.29%

• Earth Intruder

Dreamgirls : You're gonna love me!

Annnnnnnndddddd IIIIII ammmmmm telllllling you! I'm-a not goin! You're the best man I EEEEEEEEVAH had!

*ahem*

Phew! What a movie! I finally saw it yesterday. Please forgive me if there's another thread on this topic but I didn't see one with reviews, just on the pre-release buzz.

I really enjoyed the film - Jennifer Hudson definitely upstages Beyonce (of course this may just be a byproduct of Hudson having the better role/better songs). The whole theatre cheered halfway through the movie when she sang "And I am telling you"... totally a star-making movie magical turn.

And no, she's not as good as Jennifer Holliday in the original -- do a search on youtube for an 8-minute clip from the tony awards with Holliday and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtnKI3ztz9w

When you think she did that every night for two years, you get a little respect for the woman....

That being said, Hudson does a DAMN fine job.

(Oh yeah, and if you want to see a WHITE BOY sing that song, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW898PqcTTE ... he is sooooo cute. And has a great voice. But it is wierd to see a cute little gay white boy sing that. Out of drag.)

But I digress. It isn't a "deep" film overall, and the music is hit-and-miss (mostly hit tho). I thought it was a very enjoyable movie. I wasn't emotionally blown away or anything at the end. But even Eddie Murphy was good, and I've hated everything he's done since Coming to America.

What did y'all think of the film?
    Last edited by Chernabog; 12-26-2006 at 03:10 PM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

•   
    • Senior Minion

Re: Dreamgirls : You're gonna love me!

I haven't seen it, but I saw the long lines ... and watched "Black Christmas" instead (don't watch it folks).

• Sea Creature

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Please forgive me if there's another thread on this topic but I didn't see one with reviews, just on the pre-release buzz.
    Thanks. It's ok it just goes down in history as another thread I have started that gets no attention, think I'm gonna jump off a cliff. http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ght=Dreamgirls

Yes, Dreamgirls was phenomenal. Jennifer Hudson who I dearly loved in season 3 of American Idol was just amazing, she lites the screen on fire. No, she sets a thousand ninjas loose on it, on fire and then blows it up. There was a long period of applause in the theater after "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going". The rest of the cast held their own as well. Beyonce was surprisingly good despite her ugly acting jobs in the past. And as we all knew she could, she can sing which gives her moments to shine. Jamie Foxx and Anika Noni Rose were good and Eddie Murphy was sensational, by far his best performance. Go see it, you'll love it.
    Last edited by DisneySeaFan; 12-26-2006 at 05:53 PM.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySeaFan View Post
    Thanks. It's ok it just goes down in history as another thread I have started that gets no attention http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ght=Dreamgirls
    Pssssh that thread was on the pre-release buzz! And it was from like a month ago! Hehe you're just being bitchy, girl. Hey so what did you think of that white boy singing it on youtube?

Quote Originally Posted by IMDB
    Early reports indicate that Dreamgirls may have made a bigger splash than anyone expected when it opened on Monday in 852 theaters. Some venues reportedly added midnight screenings and allocated additional screens to the film after selling out existing tickets a day in advance. L.A. Weekly columnist Nikki Finke wrote on her website Monday, "The target audience had been African-Americans, gays and upscale whites. But now the movie is playing bigger than expected with white audiences in general. Anecdotes are starting to come in of audiences cheering and clapping and crying." Finke wrote that while the movie was originally expected to do about $4.5 million in business on Monday, the figure could rise to as much as $6 million.

UPDATE: Surpassing all expectations, Dreamgirls raked in an astounding $8.7 million on Monday, according to Paramount and DreamWorks. The figure represented a per-theater average of more than $10,000 for the single day.
    LOL I love the target audience for this. Everyone at the Christmas screening was African American, the 60+ Jew set, and little gay ol' me
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

• Sea Creature

Pssssh that thread was on the pre-release buzz! And it was from like a month ago! Hehe you're just being bitchy, girl. Hey so what did you think of that white boy singing it on youtube?
    "Now you listen to me miss blame it on the world I have put up with you for much too long. I have put up with your bitchin, I put up with yo naggin, and aaalllllll yo screamin too." I didn't see the video I'll go check it out now.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySeaFan View Post
    "Now you listen to me miss blame it on the world I have put up with you for much too long. I have put up with your bitchin, I put up with yo naggin, and aaalllllll yo screamin too." I didn't see the video I'll go check it out now.
    Hey you watch it Miss Sassy, before I tickle torture you into taking me to Tokyo. (wow say that last part 10 times fast) Mmmmmhmm. *snap*

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

OMG - Fishbulb and I just got back from Dream Girls. I laughed, I cried, I LOVED it. Amazing film. Every bit as good as Chicago. Brilliant direction, art direction, costumes, makeup and wigs. Dream Girls was also blessed with a dream cast. I was stunned at how perfect this film was.

I have one word of advice to anyone who is on the fence about seeing this film: GO!

NOTE: Hope you all don't mind, I added a poll.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Now that the Kids have seen Charlottes Web.... This one I would like to see next....
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

You're right guys. This movie was really good. Absolutely loved it. I saw it here in the city Dec 15 during its exclusive run at the Ziegfeld theater. The film was released here in NYC, L.A., and San Francisco in something resembling an old road-show engagement. It was truly felt like an event, and the audience was so pumped and enthusiastic that it felt like being in the audience of a live performance. What follows is a post from the DMCA and my thoughts on the film and the experience:

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    OK wow... "Dreamgirls" is a really terrific film. It's the first movie musical with style and substance in years... it'll knock your socks off. Go see it!

The film held up to the hype. Adding in the feeling at the sold out Ziegfeld last night, it truly felt like an event. The tickets were just over double what a normal movie ticket would cost, and as part of the cost the audience received a lithograph of the movie poster and a lavish souvenir program. The audience was PUMPED for the film. As I predicted, it was Broadway musical show queen night. It was so cool.

The movie started about 15 minutes late, but it was so cool to be sitting in the large theater with the golden curtain closed. As the lights dimmed, the curtain opened, and the film just began... No previews, no ads, nothin'. Awesome.

As the film unspooled there were lots of cheers, applause, everything. It kind of felt like seeing a live show. I've never quite understood clapping at the movies, but hey... even I got caught up in that from time to time. The best part of that response were the closing credits as the cast was given notice. I don't think I'm spoiling anything about the movie when I say that the last credit was for Jennifer Hudson, who plays Effie White. When the title card "and introducing" came up the anticipation had been built. Clapping began... cheering began... then the name and image of "Jennifer Hudson" came up. The theater went positively apesh!t. (including me.) It's odd to say, but I really think a star has been born here. I've never experienced any reaction like that a movie before. Amazing.

The whole cast was great in the film. Jamie Foxx is great, Eddie Murphy is electrifying, Anika Noni Rose is delicious, and Beyonce Knowles as Deena Jones... also a "Wow." She has a new song in the movie and it's incredible. .....But this is Jennifer Hudson's film through and through.

Bill Condon, the writer/director of the film really knows how to adapt a stage musical for film. I was so moved and intrigued by the story.

I can't wait to see it again.

• Happy Memories

I was supposed to go see it today, but my friend flaked on me apparently. I think I'm gonna have to go ahead and hit the theater on my own sometime over the the next couple of days. It looks fantastic and I've heard nothing but praise from the opinions I trust on such things.

• Sea Creature

?
    LOL I love the target audience for this. Everyone at the Christmas screening was African American, the 60+ Jew set, and little gay ol' me
    Here I am. An asian teen boy who loves motown, broadway, Jamie Foxx and Beyonce. I was in heaven and supposedly I'm one of a kind.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch74 View Post
    I haven't seen it, but I saw the long lines ... and watched "Black Christmas" instead (don't watch it folks).
    I saw Dream Girls at a screening at Paramount. I wasn't expecting much. But I thought "what the heck?". It was very good. I loved it.

Black Christmas was lame. Waste of money. It was a good thing my friend paid. Ha ha.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch74 View Post
    Hmm, my mother wanted to watch Dream Girls, so did my aunt. Maybe I'll be able to see it. I never watch horror movies - specially ones made out of such happy holidays. So, no need to place it here for me

- Snap