Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

FORCED POTC Movie tie-ins

Ok, I finally saw POTC: dead man's chest.

I liked the first movie, and I'd say I liked the second as well (tho I feel it felt a bit longer then it really was) and at several points I couldn't understand what the heck they were saying (and turned on subtitles to get a clue), but I have to give a HUGE THUMBS DOWN to the all the forced POTC ride tie-ins to the movie. BOOO! For anyone who is familar with the ride, they stuck out like a sore thumb and were so contrived. It really felt like they were forced to make this NEW movie somehow tie back to the scenes in the ride (the dog with the key, the jail scene, the dunking, etc etc). It's one thing with things are new and gel together, but this is totally going in reverse trying to tie the two attractions together.. trying REAL hard.

I also didn't like the ending. Reminded me too much of Empire Strikes Back where they totally just leave you hanging after something dramatic.

• Senior Minion

Re: FORCED POTC Movie tie-ins

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I also didn't like the ending. Reminded me too much of Empire Strikes Back where they totally just leave you hanging after something dramatic.
    I felt the same way too. I was totally into the movie, and then they stop ... and I'm like ... WHAT!?! That's it??? Then again, it is that method that is going to have me lined up at the theatre.

As for the ride tie ins, they were a bit forced and didn't really contribute to the overall story line very well. I like the dunking scene because it wasn't the main focus during that part ... but I did dislike how they forced that dog in there. Although, I found the scene where the Pirates are whistling ... and the camera starts to guide you to what it is and you see Elizabeth ... I found that scene rather funny.

• Huh?

1) There were less movie tie-ins in DMC than in CotBP. The jail scene was more of a joke relating to the original scene. This is a movie based on the ride. The scenes from the ride fit, they weren't randomly placed into the movie. The dunking was added more because it was cut from the original movie, but most references were extremely subtle, like the trip to Tia's hut.

2) The ending was meant to be a "To Be Continued." It's not an ending, just a stopping place. No different than what the Matrix movies did. No different than the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

3) Yes. Tia Dalma is quite difficult to understand.
    -Tim

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    1)The jail scene was more of a joke relating to the original scene
    A joke doesn't have like 4 parts to it. The guy's lined up in jail. The governor's comment about 'wheres that dog', the dog going along for the ride to the island for no obvious reason.

This is a movie based on the ride
    I think you need to put down the koolaid. The POTC movies aren't based on the ride at all.. except in name sake. With the success of the first movie, Disney saw an opportunity to nail the two together and let the parks milk the success. So now we can see the movies being so much more obnoxiously overlayed with the ride. And of course in turn, now the rides being overlayed with characters from the movies.

The scenes from the ride fit, they weren't randomly placed into the movie.
    How does 'where that dog with the key' fit when the guard to the jail is standing 10ft behind the gov? Where does the dog fit into the rest of the story except to just ride along? And there is more. They were obnoxiously thrown in there. The pigs in the mud? Come on..

The ending was meant to be a "To Be Continued." It's not an ending, just a stopping place. No different than what the Matrix movies did. No different than the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
    LOTR isn't a comparison because they were based on a series of books. Matrix is a bit closer, but again, that doesn't mean a movie can not stand on its own. You can have continuity without aburbt stops. Empire is the first live movie I remember that left you sour with it's ending (even though yes, it was known at that point he would make a 3rd movie and thats why he did it).

Movie's shouldn't end with 'to be continued...'.

• Huh?

I think you need to put down the koolaid. The POTC movies aren't based on the ride at all.. except in name sake. With the success of the first movie, Disney saw an opportunity to nail the two together and let the parks milk the success. So now we can see the movies being so much more obnoxiously overlayed with the ride. And of course in turn, now the rides being overlayed with characters from the movies.
    So, what's the plot of the ride?

Cursed treasure and pirates plundering a village. That's about it. The movie had a LOT more to do with the ride than you seem to think. The ride was a sequence of random scenes, mostly. The only thing that really tied the beginning to the end was the theme of the cursed treasure that was always there. The movie was merely a fleshing out of the story.

How does 'where that dog with the key' fit when the guard to the jail is standing 10ft behind the gov? Where does the dog fit into the rest of the story except to just ride along? And there is more. They were obnoxiously thrown in there. The pigs in the mud? Come on..
    It fits because, as established in the first movie, the dog is the one that guards the keys.

I still don't know why you find subtle ride references to be so distracting. I'm sure you'd think nothing of them if you knew just about nothing of the ride.

And pigs had been involved with mud in not-so-well-to-do villages longer than these movies and the ride.

LOTR isn't a comparison because they were based on a series of books. Matrix is a bit closer, but again, that doesn't mean a movie can not stand on its own. You can have continuity without aburbt stops. Empire is the first live movie I remember that left you sour with it's ending (even though yes, it was known at that point he would make a 3rd movie and thats why he did it).

Movie's shouldn't end with 'to be continued...'.

The reason you're saying this is because the movie serial hasn't really been seen much for a loooooong time. It's the fad again. They were doing it much longer than Empire. People grew tired of cliffhangers before. They'll do it again.

But, at least we only have to wait less than a year for the conclusion. Look at how long it was before people were able to see how Han Solo was saved.

It's pretty much a lose-lose situation. People will complain that the second pirates movie is 6 hours long if they showed it completed, too.

Cliffhangers are going to continue... there'll be at least a couple more series to come before it's done. I've heard one or two of the later Harry Potters may eventually be split into two movies, though that may just be pure rumour.
    -Tim

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The dog wasn't just riding along. If you listened Pintel and Ragetti were imprisoned and escaped. How did they escape? They were able to get the dog, who has the keys. The dog is the reason why Pintel and Ragetti are seen in this film.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

All in all, the story is too complicated, in my opinion .

Here is what I understand:

Jack is after the key to the Chest that holds Davy Jones' heart because he wants control over the sea.

Davy wants revenge on Jack because of a deal that was made regarding the black pearl.

Elizabeth Swan is imprisoned and the only way to bail her out is if Will Turner brings back the compus that leads to Davy Jones' chest. Sparrow has that and Will is out to find him. But Elizabeth eventually gets out, dresses as a man to trick a crew of sailors into going to Tortuga, and winds up uniting with Jack there.

Will finds Jack on an island, after Jack got drunk, docked the ship on an Island, was captured, and viewed as a god about to be eaten.

Sparrow tells Will that in order to get the Compas, he needs to help him find the key.

Then in order to pay off his debt to Jones, Sparrow goes to Tortuga to get all the useless Drunkards to join his crew so that their souls could be given to Davy. Norrington joins the crew and eventually takes Jones' heart and we last see him giving it to some other dude in a wig as he tried to rebuild his image/character. Sparrow also offers the soul of Will Turner to Davy Jones as a down payment. Will meets his dad, promises his father freedom, gets the key from Davy jones, and now wants the chest for his own reasons.

SO:

Sparrow wants the key/Chest/Heart to control the seas, Turner wants it to free his father, Norrington wants it to rebuild his honor/status, Pintel/Ragetti want it just to earn money.

It was a headache just trying to understand it .

But I did not know that stuff about the dog, Pintel, & Ragetti . That is interesting info. Lost Boy .

I just hope the last one is less complicated storywise.

I do love Cliff Hanger Movies though. I also like how Barbossa is back in the mix and you can tell the curse has been broken and he can now eat, drink, and not suffer from starvation, etc.
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 12-27-2006 at 11:27 AM.

I am SO sick of threads like this!!!!!

Why does everyone hate on the movies. Take it for what it is A MOVIE. Dear god people, must you spoil the magic of the movies for me YET AGAIN.

And if you were smart enough, listen in the ride, they say "When we get out let's take the dog with us"

Duh hello, you fail, get a life and a new thread.
    Each emotion is a different flavor. What flavor do you like?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Then don't post in threads like this. Just skim over them and let us carry on with our conversation.

• It's all about Theme!

Ok, I finally saw POTC: dead man's chest. It really felt like they were forced to make this NEW movie somehow tie back to the scenes in the ride (the dog with the key, the jail scene, the dunking, etc etc). It's one thing with things are new and gel together, but this is totally going in reverse trying to tie the two attractions together.. trying REAL hard..
    Well, the dog appeared in the beginning movie in the jail where we are forced to believe Pintel and Ragetti are being kept which gave away how they escaped.

The dunking scene originally showed up in the first movie, but was deleted.

Plus in the first movie the pirates are also calling the dog like in the attraction. Now, they are calling Elizabeth which I thought was funny!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    Well, the dog appeared in the beginning movie in the jail where we are forced to believe Pintel and Ragetti are being kept which gave away how they escaped.

The dunking scene originally showed up in the first movie, but was deleted.

Plus in the first movie the pirates are also calling the dog like in the attraction. Now, they are calling Elizabeth which I thought was funny!
    I thought it was kinda funny when those guys were in the balls made of bones and trying to grab onto the side of the cliff .

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    So, what's the plot of the ride?

Cursed treasure and pirates plundering a village. That's about it. The movie had a LOT more to do with the ride than you seem to think. The ride was a sequence of random scenes, mostly.
    You confuse 'compatibility' with 'based on'. The ride had almost no story, its the usual pirate story.. pirates plunder.. pirates binge.. pirates attack.. Just because they don't CONFLICT doesn't mean they are tied together.

The only thing that really tied the beginning to the end was the theme of the cursed treasure that was always there. The movie was merely a fleshing out of the story.
    Where does the original talk about cursed treasure? Vs just pirate booty? The story is pirates plundering a town and the events during.

It fits because, as established in the first movie, the dog is the one that guards the keys.
    Convient that a dog no less.. of all the possibilities? They took something more subtle before and hit you over the head in the 2nd.

I still don't know why you find subtle ride references to be so distracting. I'm sure you'd think nothing of them if you knew just about nothing of the ride.
    Because they aren't so subtle, and obviously yes, if you didn't know their history, they wouldn't seem contrived to fit. The point is.. when telling a story, now they take it BACK to the ride from something that really never had anything to do with the ride to start with.

And pigs had been involved with mud in not-so-well-to-do villages longer than these movies and the ride.
    Convient choice of scene though don't you think? That's the point.. blantently going back to the ride.

The reason you're saying this is because the movie serial hasn't really been seen much for a loooooong time.
    You can't compare the weekly movies of the pre-TV era to this. Complete apples and oranges.

It's the fad again
    No, selling multiple sequals at the same time are the fad. Selling and production of sequals back to back to back.

It's pretty much a lose-lose situation. People will complain that the second pirates movie is 6 hours long if they showed it completed, too.
    ..or cut out scenes that really don't advance the story. Like dog getting stranded and being chased by natives...

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The dog wasn't just riding along. If you listened Pintel and Ragetti were imprisoned and escaped. How did they escape? They were able to get the dog, who has the keys. The dog is the reason why Pintel and Ragetti are seen in this film.
    Yes, that's how they carry it.. but injecting it in the first place is the point.

• Huh?

Where does the original talk about cursed treasure? Vs just pirate booty? The story is pirates plundering a town and the events during.
    "No fear have ye of evil curses, says you?" Arrrgh... Properly warned ye be, says I. Who knows when that evil curse will strike the greedy beholders of this bewitched treasure? Dead men tell no tales!"
    "Perhaps ye knows too much... ye've seen the cursed treasure, you know where it be hidd'n. Now proceed at your own risk. These be the last 'friendly' words ye'll hear. Ye may not survive to pass this way again... Dead men tell no tales!"
    Looks like cursed treasure to me... That was in the attraction when it opened and had stayed unchanged for about 40 years.
    -Tim

• Huh?

I'm still wondering -- why are you so bothered that scenes from a ride that the movie's based on are woven into the movie? Do you think Country Bears was a great movie because it contained absolutely nothing from the attraction it's based on?
    -Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast