• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Humor put on hold (Laugh Floor COmedy Club WDW) - Orlando Sentinel, 12/28/06

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...dlines-tourism

A comedy club show based on the popular Monsters, Inc. movie apparently isn't quite ready for the big time.

Walt Disney World has confirmed that the opening of its next big attraction -- The Monsters, Inc. The Laugh Floor Comedy Club show -- will be delayed a few months so that Walt Disney Imagineering can make adjustments now that test audiences got to try it out earlier this month.

The Magic Kingdom attraction draws on characters from the 2001 Pixar Animation movie, Monsters, Inc., and uses new technology to give audiences an interactive, sometimes improvisational, robotic comedy show. The attraction was built into the old Timekeeper location in Tomorrowland.

The Laugh Floor Comedy Club was slated to have passholder previews, then a grand opening, in January. But now those won't happen until sometime in the spring, said Disney spokesman Jacob DiPietre.

The delay will give staff members a chance for more training in the complex technology being used, and writers a chance to re-script parts of the show based on audience feedback, he said.

DiPietre would not elaborate on what script changes would be made or why. However, audiences reportedly have been lukewarm to the humor.

Chris Eliopoulos, who was in one test audience, said he thought the overall structure was sound and the crowd found the technology exciting, but the humor was a bit flat and the jokes didn't hit their marks. However, Eliopoulos, 39, of New Jersey, himself a humor writer and cartoonist, respectfully pointed out that humor is hard work.

"Humor that is funny for all ages is even harder," he conceded.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Humor put on hold (Laugh Floor COmedy Club WDW) - Orlando Sentinel, 12/28/06

This sounds interesting. I'd like to hear more about the technology..
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Humor put on hold (Laugh Floor COmedy Club WDW) - Orlando Sentinel, 12/28/06

Wait a minute, Disney listened to its audience? I'm still trying to soak that one in....

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Wait a minute, Disney listened to its audience? I'm still trying to soak that one in....
    More specifically, Lasseter and Iger listened to the audience. I highly doubt anyone from Rasulo on down was willing to accept the show's failings and hold off on the mediafest opening. It took a weekend visit by John and Bob just before the holidays to put these tweaks in motion. Another well-deserved blackeye for Team Rasulo and his flying monkeys.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

You're telling me the geniuses who would put Monsters, Inc. characters in Tomorrowland are not clever enough to write a show that actually elicits laughs?

I can't believe it. No, truly, I can't. Seriously, there is no possible way such could be the case. The idea is inconceivable. Really, it is.

• Banned User

imagineering did and end run around rasulo and got iger and lassetter involved. while I don't like that it's taking more time from what I have heard it needs it. the concept is a sound one just want to make sure it's not another stitch. and it has to live up to the quality of the nemo show at AK and attraction at epcot. those are both good quality attractions. maybe not e ticket level but still good stuff.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    You're telling me the geniuses who would put Monsters, Inc. characters in Tomorrowland are not clever enough to write a show that actually elicits laughs?

I can't believe it. No, truly, I can't. Seriously, there is no possible way such could be the case. The idea is inconceivable. Really, it is.

You just made my day, PI.

Happy New Year!
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville