View Poll Results: Rate Pan's Labyrinth - (Please vote only if you have seen this film)

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • ***** - One of the year's best films

23 79.31%
  • **** - Good

3 10.34%
  • *** - Average

2 6.90%
  • ** - Sub par

0 0%
  • * - Avoid

1 3.45%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pan's Labyrinth

• e komo mai

Thumbs up Pan's Labyrinth

Saw it today. Loved it.

Anyone see it? It's a good flick.

PS ~ Don't take the kiddies to see it.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Re: Pan's Labyrinth

I heard a commercial for it this morning and I really want to see it.

And I wouldnt take my kids, isnt it rated R?
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

This is one of the best films of the year. I really don't want to give anything away, but it combines war and fantasy in a way you've never seen before. At once a beautiful and haunting picture. Simply amazing.

I'm still thinking about it.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Shablagoo!

I have been wanting to see it for months. I have at least a few more weeks before it opens near me. I can't wait!

• Up is Down

where is it playing in cali? I have followed this film since they were making it I want to see it bad but I dont think it is really playing anywhere right now.
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

• Earth Intruder

I want to see this movie really bad too -- question tho, is the picture gory at all?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

after what i've read i want to see this film so dang much...but i have my doubts that it will play here in Reno...we're not exactly the epicenter of good taste *sigh*
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    I want to see this movie really bad too -- question tho, is the picture gory at all?
    Yes.

• Oh my Goodness!

I saw a preview for this some time ago and I am completely intrigued by this film. I hope it comes somewhere near me so I can see it in the theatre - it looks like an in the theatre movie....

• Practically Perfect

okay, I live under a rock...I just saw the trailer online and that's the first I've heard about it...and of course right away I came running to micechate. It looks SO good! gah!

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    where is it playing in cali? I have followed this film since they were making it I want to see it bad but I dont think it is really playing anywhere right now.
    According to the website it is playing in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and New York. It will be expanding to more markets next month.

• Still lost in Neverland

It just opened yesterday and some Pacific and AMC theaters in the Southern California area. I know it is playing in the valley and at the Arc Light theaters in Hollywood. I plan to see it as soon as I can.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Earth Intruder

OK so I finally watched it this evening and it is definitely one of Guillermo Del Toro's best films -- if you enjoyed this one, I would recommend also renting his "The Devil's Backbone" (which explores similar themes, but more along the lines of a ghost story than of a fantasy).

Pan's Labyrinth was just fantastic, and NOT for the faint of heart. This is a brutal movie in the "real life" elements-- and the fantasy elements are incredibly dark as well. No cutesy characters anywhere, so don't go in expecting any... And definitely do not take your children to see this movie I mean, I've seen a lot worse gore and violence-wise, but it's not a kid's movie at all.

The title is odd, considering the literal spanish translation of El Laberinto del Fauno should be "The Faun's Labyrinth".... there's a faun, but his name isn't Pan. I'm wondering why they did that....

Anyway, what I really liked was
    Spoiler
    the ending of the film - how it was left rather ambiguous whether she had imagined the whole fantasy world or not (though, of course, "It was real" and "it was imaginary" are NOT the only two options!!!).

Guillermo Del Toro himself interprets the film as being all real -- I'm not going to go into the whole thing here, but the best director's interview I have read on the subject is at http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/008507.html . The director left three little "clues" to let you know that HE thinks the fantasy world is all real (read the interview), but it can be interpreted another way. That's the beauty of this film -- it is so multilayered that you can interpret the symbolism of the characters and the fantasy world for yourself.

There are a lot of idiots on the IMDB board that are talking about... "well, if the director thinks it's real, it's real!!! End of story!!" Sorry, but that is total crap. If you can back up what you say, then the director's intent, while interesting from a filmmaking standpoint, has very little or nothing to do with whether an interpretation is "correct".

Certainly, asking whether it was real or imagined, or some of the fantasy was real, and some imagined, or whether it was all imagined (even the "war" parts), etc. etc. are certainly all valid explorations and can lead to wildly varying, equally valid interpretations.

Anyway, go see it, you'll be thinking about it for a while. One of the few films (like Donnie Darko) that I wanted to watch again immediately after viewing.
    Last edited by Chernabog; 01-02-2007 at 08:19 AM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

A few friends and I ended up heading to the Arclight yesterday to see the film, and what a wonderful film it was. I have to agree with the fact that the girl's fantasy was just a fantasy. However, still a moving and touching film.

However, there's one thing that irked me:
    Spoiler
    If the fantasy was real, why couldn't the captain see the faun? Yes, he saw the door, but no faun.

We also loved our ArcLight experience (see: Real Butter on the Popcorn, actual ushers, no cell ringing, always a good seat, superb sound quality, etc.). Much better than the crap they call a 'movie theater' up here.
    Last edited by Monorail Man; 01-04-2007 at 11:25 PM.
    -Monorail Man

• Why do you keep talking?

damn, I going to have to wait until the 12 when it opens in Ontario, granted it's only a week away, and I've been waiting quite a while to finally see it, but [veruca salt] I WANT IT NOOOOOOOOOW[/veruca salt]
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast