View Poll Results: Did you think as a kid that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was made by Disney?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 26.67%
  • No

10 66.67%
  • I didn't know that Disney didn't make it!

1 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...

How many of you, at MiceChat thought when you were a kid, or still do think, that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was a Disney Movie? And do you think that it was on purpose having Dick Van Dyke as the lead, since he made Marry Poppins 4 years prior?
    Last edited by Liquidspaceman; 05-22-2005 at 12:17 PM.

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidspaceman
    From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...

And do you think that it was on purpose having Dick Van Dyke as the lead?
    I don't think I understand this part of the question... what, did they cast him by "accident?"

:confused:
    --Jonathan

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI
    I don't think I understand this part of the question... what, did they cast him by "accident?"

:confused:
    Marry Poppins was made in 1964 and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was made in 1968. Dick Van Dyke was in both. Sorry for the confusion.

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    I was never confused because my Chitty record wasn't a Disneyland record.

(Although, come to think of it, I did have a Chitty/Oliver Disneyland record, but that was after I had the "real" Chitty record...)

Oh, just FYI, a record is one of those big, black, vinyl discs that they had before CD's! I know there are a lot of young people on the boards, so I didn't want to confuse anyone!
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• Newbie.

I remember records....isn't that what they break at the Olympics?
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• Minion

Was that before or after 4 track?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

How many of you, at MiceChat thought when you were a kid, or still do think, that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was a Disney Movie? And do you think that it was on purpose having Dick Van Dyke as the lead, since he made Marry Poppins 4 years prior?
    The movie no doubt has many a similarity with Marry Poppins. The Sherman Brothers wrote the music to both and Van Dyke danced, sang, and acted in both as well. One clear difference though is plain as day right at the very beginning of the movie. Marry Poppins says "Walt Disney Presents" and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang starts off looking like a Bond Film----

"Albert Brocoli Presents"

"Ian Flemmings ..................Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"

(insert Bond music here)---
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Be-Bop Bear

Was that before or after 4 track?
    Ummm, 8-track?

We had one of those in our car, and truth be told, our original "Chitty" wasn't a record at all. It was actually an 8-track. I just didn't want to cause any more confusion than necessary!
    Avenue Q

• Minion

Believe it or not there was 4 track before 8 track!

• Santa Barbara, CA

I still think Hayley Mills was "made" by Disney. Ok. Dean Jones then.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Padawan

Even though "Mary Poppins" is such a "Classic" and beloved movie, I never really thought of Julie Andrews or Dick Van Dyke as part of the Disney "stable." I think Julie Andrews has great affection for Disney because Walt really "discovered" her on Broadway (where she was a young phenomenon) and gave her "Mary Poppins" as her first break in movies (where she promplty won the Oscar for best actress). But from there she jumped right on to "The Sound of Music" and then to Hithcock's "Torn Curtain" and never looked back. Dick Van Dyke was already a big star (from TV), who was making a splash in movies ("Bye Bye Birdie"). I think he did that one other Disney movie (Lt. Robin Crusoe?), but not too much after that. So, I guess that's why I was confused by your first question, I never really associated them with Disney that much.

Disney really did have some young stars that he pretty much "made" (at least their careers). Whenever I see them I instantly think "Disney": Hayley Mills, (young) Kurt Russell, Tommy Kirk...
    --Jonathan

• Minion

I'm sorry DOOM BGI that you don't just get it.
    When these two movies came out, I was at an age where I didn't read who the director was, etc. Videos weren't invented either, so I couldn't watch these two movies over and over and learn their differences. As I grew up, I was still under the same impression. Nothing changed. I'm sure adults all over the world have grown up we a skewed vision of something from their childhood! When I think of Dick Van Dyke I automatically think DISNEY. The two go hand in hand. To this day I couldn't tell you, with out taking a moment, which movie contained the scene where Dick Van Dyke dances with the canes and then receives money after it. It is confusing. I posted this thread, wondering if others at Mice Chat might have had the same feeling.

• Padawan

Sorry LiquidSpace, I didn't mean to offend you.. it sounds like you're getting defensive!

I think I do "get it," I know exactly what you mean... I was just saying that to me, while similar in experience, it differed in which actors meant "Disney" probably because of the different time period. I actually remember when "Chitty" was first released, but I was so young, I wasn't even old enough to know "Disney" (as a prod. co.) from anything. It was just an enthralling fantasy. About 5 years later, in the early 70's, is when I was old enough to know the name "Disney" and associate it with specific characters and actors. This is why to me, Kurt Russell had an "instant" Disney association... and Dick Van Dyke was more familiar from his TV show in reruns.

Also, I was going back to your original question. I don't think that they cast Dick Van Dyke because of his association with Disney. I think you just answered your own question... you weren't young enough at the time to understand then, that Dick Van Dyke didn't instantly mean "Disney" to everyone. I don't think they thought of that angle either.. it was just such a great roll for Dick Van Dyke! My favorite scene is the dance that they do as giant wind up toys. Not many actors could have pulled off Dick Van Dyke's unique performance
    skills!

Sorry if I offended.

Last edited by DOOM BGI; 05-23-2005 at 05:24 PM.
    --Jonathan

• Minion

Sorry DOOM BGI

Today was a loooong bad day at work.
    I just want to go play at DL, instead of being up on a ladder in the hot sun.
    I didn't mean to take it out on you.

• Be-Bop Bear

Believe it or not there was 4 track before 8 track!
    I don't get to say this very often anymore, but...

I guess that was before my time!
    Avenue Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast