Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Would Anyone on MiceChat Object to "Song of the South" Being Made Available?

Didn't Iger say at a Disneyana Convention that Song of the South will NEVER be realeased n the U.S.

• Directly directed

Re: Would Anyone on MiceChat Object to "Song of the South" Being Made Available?

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Didn't Iger say at a Disneyana Convention that Song of the South will NEVER be realeased n the U.S.
    Sadly yes. I've never seen it but I have all the Uncle Remus books and I LOVE them. I guess I settle with the knowledge the book is always better than the movie? Except Mary Poppins. That was not a very good book!

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Do you want the NAACP going after them to ditch Disney stock? Particularly if you are a executive who's partial pay is tied to stock price? And your company has been able to build good will since going public... No. There is too much down side and risk involved in releasing the film...

It has nothing to do with how many units disney would sell... It has everything to do with setting a chain reaction that could trigger a massive sell off. Which could jepordise Disney as a business.

This is why the film will never be released... And should never be released...
    You might be right when you say, " This is why the film will never be released...," but I disagree when you say "And should never be released...".

There are many things Disney could do to ensure that would not happen. Perhaps explore the opportunities of working with the NAACP. The following is from Snopes, so take it for what it is worth, but I remember reading a similar account in the news years back, and I am betting the news article was the source for the Snopes page.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/sots.htm
    The NAACP acknowledged "the remarkable artistic merit" of the film when it was first released, but decried "the impression it gives of an idyllic master-slave relationship". Disney re-released the film in 1956, but then kept it out of circulation all throughout the turbulent civil rights era of the 1960s. In 1970 Disney announced in Variety that Song of the South had been "permanently" retired, but the studio eventually changed its mind and re-released the film in 1972, 1981, and again in 1986 for a fortieth anniversary celebration. Although the film has only been released to the home video market in various European and Asian countries, Disney's reluctance to market it in the USA is not a reaction to an alleged threat by the NAACP to boycott Disney products. The NAACP fielded objections to Song of the South when it premiered, but it has no current position on the movie.

Anyway, there is no reason why the NAACP would not want to work with Disney to bring awareness to our past. Like I said before, there are many respectful ways they could pay homage to the film, as well as spread awareness of the civil rights movement to a whole new generation. If Disney approached the NAACP and asked them to work with Disney on this project, and agree to share x% of the profit with the NAACP to further awareness of racial injustice, do you think they would balk at that?
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• Knight of Naughtyness

It was re-released three times in the US after similar statements were made.
    -Osky

Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

.-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• "Always On The Move..."

I would love to see it again. I can't remember the name of the actor that played Uncle Remus, but I absolutely adored him in the film. He came across as a grandfather type that you just wanted to crawl into his lap, cuddle up and listen to his stories. I can understand the concerns from many groups. But common, the entire Little Rascals series is released and OMG the blatent steriotyping with Buckwheat is unbelievable.

I would love to enjoy this film again. Love the books, love the actor's portrayal and have wanted to see it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

It should be released. It is not offensive. It is also not as great a film as some would have you think. It's a charming film, with great acting and animation.

There are films that offer more offensive portrails of minorities (Gone with the Wind comes to mind) Mexicans today still have horrible stereotypes in modern cinema.

No apologies from Leonard Maltin required, no Disney tripping over itself and making excuses, just release it (again) and let the general public decide with their wallets. Do make it a Disney Treasure to distingush this as what it it a landmark Disney film, with a large following, spawing theme park rides, and wonderful music and animation.

Here is a frame grab from my (legitimate) Japanese Laser Disc

The worst stereotype in the films is these two white half witted red neck boys.

THe actor that played Uncle Remus was the first Black actor to win an Academy Award

So let's have it, a pristine digitlly restored 5.1 Home Theater mixed, 2 disc metal tin, original lithograh HD DVD, Blu-Ray 60th Aniversary edition release.
    O'TAY!

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    I would love to see it again. I can't remember the name of the actor that played Uncle Remus, but I absolutely adored him in the film. He came across as a grandfather type that you just wanted to crawl into his lap, cuddle up and listen to his stories.
    From a few posts above:

Quote Originally Posted by Osky View Post
    Did you know that James Basket (Uncle Remus) was the first live actor hired by Walt, or that he was unable to attend the premiere in Atlanta because he was unable to get a room because he is black?
    -Osky

I am still looking for someone who has seen the film and is personally offended by it.

A D.V.D. and Blu-Ray release would offer all sorts of opportunities for providing documentary information about the history of the American South and the views of Joel Chandler Harris and Walt Disney. The family members in the story are presented as abolitionists, themselves, and the whole film seems remarkably progressive for something released in 1946.

Walt Disney considered the Uncle Remus stories to possess a wisdom that helped shaped his entire worldview.

Uncle Remus and Uncle Walt are almost the same person, in fact.

There is an on-line petition to persuade Disney to release the film in the U.S. available to sign at: http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...d.cgi?sots1946

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The problem with anybody in the company saying "never" is eventually they will no longer be in the position to say "never".

My Wife's family is Black and I brought up the subject Christmas eve. I used the jokingly Saturday Night Live Skit that was aired months ago to bring it up. My mother-in-law told me that as a child she was not allowed to see it by her folks. She always had a part of her that still wants to see it all the way through. But to this day, she feels from what little she saw, it seemed racist. She also thinks it was what it was at that time and something like that was everywhere. It made me think that maybe we're not ready, American Society as a whole. Could I handle it? Yes. But that's just me. This could go terribly wrong for everyone involved.
    Last edited by rdelacruz; 01-04-2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Didn't need the word "In"
    Spoiler
    BURP!

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    There is an on-line petition to persuade Disney to release the film in the U.S. available to sign at: http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...d.cgi?sots1946
    Wow, over 12,000. When I signed it, there were less than 700.
    -Osky

• Banned User

I thought it was being released on dvd this Spring?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EagleWings View Post
    I thought it was being released on dvd this Spring?
    There are no plans that any of us are aware of, at least officially by Disney. Mr. Iger did say just a year or so ago at the Disney Stockholders meeting (not a "Disneyana" convention for the record) that it would never be released.

And I'll say one more time what I've said seemingly dozens of times before here on the subject...

The film has a good message...and while it's not the greatest movie ever made, everyone should have a chance to see it. Yesss, bow to the politically correct types and put in a bonus feature trashing all of us who ever saw and enjoyed the film. I have a remote control and know how do avoid things I have no need to see.

Either that, or else stop the two-faced usage of the storyline for SM, and stop profiting from about half of the film's soundtrack.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Lucky, Rather Than Good

Here is a great thread about Disney and racism http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46122
    I personally think that Song of the South should be released with the aforementioned documentaries and warnings, but the tar baby stuff is pretty bad no matter how you feel about racism
    " Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world. " Oh no we might be in trouble

The problem with anybody in the company saying "never" is eventually they will no longer be in the position to say "never".

The Company aslo said it would never release Snow White nor Fantasia

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast