Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• "Always On The Move..."

Re: Would Anyone on MiceChat Object to "Song of the South" Being Made Available?

Quote Originally Posted by Osky View Post
    From a few posts above:
    Originally Posted by Osky
    Did you know that James Basket (Uncle Remus) was the first live actor hired by Walt, or that he was unable to attend the premiere in Atlanta because he was unable to get a room because he is black?

Thanks, Osky. Sorry I missed that. OMG that just makes me sick that he was unable to attend the premiere. But now I have a name.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Zero Blockout Dates

Re: Would Anyone on MiceChat Object to "Song of the South" Being Made Available?

I'd love to see it on DVD and I'd buy it in a second.

As for the hoopla... "Disney's reluctance to market it in the USA is not a reaction to an alleged threat by the NAACP to boycott Disney products. The NAACP fielded objections to Song of the South when it premiered, but it has no current position on the movie. Perhaps lost in all the controversy over the film is the fact that James Baskett, a Black man, was the very first live actor ever hired by Disney. Allegedly, though, Baskett was unable to attend the film's premiere in Atlanta because no hotel would give him a room."

Source: SNOPES
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

I personally would like to see the film. I'm not an advocate of being PC.

I guess I'll just have to console my self with my LaserDisc until such a time I can hold a gleaming restored DVD in my hot little hands

• World Traveler

I saw the movie when it was re-released in 1986 and I didn't see a problem with it then. I don't have a problem with it.

I'd like to see it, offensiveness and all. It's not like we believe the stereotypes, nor do we go into it blind. We know better now. I just think it would be interesting.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post

The problem with anybody in the company saying "never" is eventually they will no longer be in the position to say "never".

The Company aslo said it would never release Snow White nor Fantasia
    What is that photo supposed to symbolize?

• It's all about Theme!

There are mixed feelings about the movie. Release it under a PG rating due to a bit of racism.
    Last edited by Walt Jr.; 01-06-2007 at 11:59 PM.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• It's all about Theme!

Last edited by Walt Jr.; 01-06-2007 at 11:59 PM.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Knight that says Nee!!

I don't want to stir up TOO much controversy but there are so many people on here saying how they saw the movie and they were not offended by it so i just have to ask...how many of you that have seen and not been offended have a REASON to be offended by it? I have several friends I have known for twenty years who are black and have seen and are offended by parts of it. None of my ancestors were ever slaves to my knowledge nor have they ever been referred to as "tar babies" so I was not offended by the film but I do see why those with racial/ancestrial backgrounds that are closer to the topic could be.

It is more than a simple issue of being "Politically Correct." I do agree that with the right kind of co-operation between Disney and various other cultural organisations like the NAACP and others, a special "treasury collectors" release could be done. I am not for denying our nations past, but there are parts of this country's past that needs to be brought up in the right contexts.

Just my 2 cents before taxes.

I also think that if the film is or isn't released has nothing to do with Splash Mountain and any "profit" made by it. Disney owns the film and the music and the characters and they can profit from them as they see fit. My daughter has never seen Song of the South, and that fact doesn't stop her from enjoying SM several times during each trip we take to DL.

What is that photo supposed to symbolize?
    The tar baby is mentioned in the post just previous. In case there is anyone who does not know what the tar baby is, as in Splash Mountain, Brer Rabbit is caught with honey not tar

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    The tar baby is mentioned in the post just previous. In case there is anyone who does not know what the tar baby is, as in Splash Mountain, Brer Rabbit is caught with honey not tar
    Ah, Yeah. your right.

My "Bootlegged" Song of the South has the Tar Baby scene in it. Do some copy's not feature it?

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Ah, Yeah. your right.

My "Bootlegged" Song of the South has the Tar Baby scene in it. Do some copy's not feature it?
    The honey was used instead of tar only in the Disneyland attraction so as to avoid any racial undertones.

The "tar baby" trap is an element of the original book, and the invention is a literal tar baby, which means it does not necessarily symbolize anything, although, clearly, the author of the source material was alluding to a potentially-offensive epithet that was used in the Old South at the time the story is set.

If I'm not mistaken, Br'er Fox, who like Br'ers Rabbit and Bear, is presented as being black if you will, is the only character who uses the term, and he does so only to refer to the trap. He sets it to outsmart Br'er Rabbit by causing him to fight the thing and get stuck until the larger critters can come along and roast him. Additionally, Uncle Remus, the character who is telling the story of the tar baby trap is, himself, black.

When I read a Disney version of the book as a child, I viewed similar illustrations and didn't think twice about any additional implications the fictional trap might have. And, for the most part, I still don't. Walt Disney treated that part of Harris' book in a straightforward way, and Harris, himself, was not suggesting anything by the device.

It's just an incidental allusion to a colloquialism that hasn't been used in decades.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-07-2007 at 03:10 AM.

It should be noted that even modern Disney films have the potential to offend.

"Pocahontas" had a line of one of its songs that used the term, "dirty redskin devils", changed, even though the song was all about racism. And, "Arabian Nights" in "Aladdin" had a line about the alleged barbarism of certain cultural practices that was rightly changed since said line was, indeed, ethnocentric. Disney made an appropriate decision in that instance to project greater cultural relativism.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-07-2007 at 03:16 AM.

I remember thinking that the tar baby was cute when I viewed the illustrations as a child.

It was just a lump of tar, but it had a personality.

I'm sure that Walt Disney, who made a business of personifying and anthropomorphizing inanimate objects, felt the same way about the finished product. The scene with the tar baby is just such a farcical, ridiculous situation.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-07-2007 at 03:19 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast