Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

•   
    • Minion

Re: Would Anyone on MiceChat Object to "Song of the South" Being Made Available?

Quote Originally Posted by Osky View Post
    Anyway, there is no reason why the NAACP would not want to work with Disney to bring awareness to our past. Like I said before, there are many respectful ways they could pay homage to the film, as well as spread awareness of the civil rights movement to a whole new generation. If Disney approached the NAACP and asked them to work with Disney on this project, and agree to share x% of the profit with the NAACP to further awareness of racial injustice, do you think they would balk at that?
    Yeah, I think they would actually... You have to understand that the NAACP is the kind of organization that exists and operates on a strict sense of principle.

I am not certain what releasing the film would acomplish for Disney? What does Disney really get out of the deal? Admiting their founder, Uncle Walt, may have harbored bigotry and held racial steriotypes? I don't think there is any good that can come in working with the NAACP in releasing this film... Way too much downside for a publicly traded company...

I think they are more proud of the war time propeganda films because it defends against Walt's image regarding the anti-comunist rhetoric. If you combine the anti-communism combined with racism, Walt begins to look like a facist... Which is balognia... Walt fought against Facism and then Communism... Walt wanted to welcome Krushev to Disneyland. Walt was a proud American, and wanted to maintain creative control of his studio... I think it had little to do with politics...
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

Re: Would Anyone on MiceChat Object to "Song of the South" Being Made Available?

The NAACP really has little to no influence on the African American community... at least in my generation. They're good for giving out scholarships and financial aid, but their usefulness as an organization of advancement is no longer valid.

The NAACP, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and the other so called "Black Leaders" don't represent me or or a large portion of Blacks. It angers me everytime they say something stupid or accusatory and play the race card. As a direct result of their hot headed comments, the average American thinks of racism as a cry for wolf.

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Yeah, I think they would actually... You have to understand that the NAACP is the kind of organization that exists and operates on a strict sense of principle.
    I would say that this was true at one time, but certainly not today. Especially not after their problems in the early 90s.

Plus, they have never taken a position against the film, and have acknowledged the "remarkable artistic merit" of the film. As far as I can tell, they objected to the frame story at the premiere, but I don't ever recall seeing any objection to the re-releases in 72, 81, 86, or even to the distribution to other countries.

There are some great articles that discuss the history of the film and the relationship with the NAACP. Jim Hill Media did one sometime back that I thought was really good.

Anyway, I like to think about the words of James Basket when he was questioned about the film and why he chose to play Uncle Remus:

I believe that certain groups are doing my race more harm in seeking to create dissension than can ever possibly come out of the 'Song of the South'.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    The NAACP, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and the other so called "Black Leaders" don't represent me or or a large portion of Blacks. It angers me everytime they say something stupid or accusatory and play the race card. As a direct result of their hot headed comments, the average American thinks of racism as a cry for wolf.

Again, like I said, it is a political thing... and Disney needs to remain as apolitical an organization as possable... There is no reason to have people go around and beat people over the head with the racist stick... There is also no reason to pour salt on old wounds to make them hurt more... Move on.

As fare as "representing" - from a purely phylosophical point of view... The only person who can truly represent you, is you... This is the unfortunate truth of postmodernism...
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Osky View Post
    As far as I can tell, they objected to the frame story at the premiere, but I don't ever recall seeing any objection to the re-releases in 72, 81, 86, or even to the distribution to other countries.
    In 1986 Disney was a completely differant company... It was durring the time when the single largest segment of stockholders were not activist State Employees Pension Funds... This is why Disney needs to remain fundamentally apolitical.
    Check out my other blog:

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    In 1986 Disney was a completely differant company... It was durring the time when the single largest segment of stockholders were not activist State Employees Pension Funds... This is why Disney needs to remain fundamentally apolitical.
    I understand that Disney was a different company then, but that has nothing to do with the subject matter of the film or the NAACP. I also don't see how state employees' pension funds will be that concerned if it is presented in a manner in which I previously outlined.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

The purpose of portraying pre/post civil war blacks in film as likable grandfather/mother figures was to create the illusion that slavery and the post civil war was not as bad as it was. It amazes me that it works all that way into 2007.
    This is where I find your logic specious, though. You use the term, "purpose", as if you are able to divine that Walt Disney and the other filmmakers were intending to make the antebellum period seem not as bad as it was. ... and, to what end? The story is about abolitionists and about people of different "races" coming together after slavery.

Other filmmakers with other films may have been attempting to legitimize slavery and the marginalization of people of African birth and descent, but I don't see how Uncle Remus can be counted as a stereotype in this instance because he is so similar to the ever avuncular storyteller, Walt Disney, himself. Mr. Disney patterned much of his life on Remus.

Now, one might argue that the original Joel Chandler Harris' writings present a stereotype, but he insisted that they were taken from his direct experience. The tales of Br'ers Rabbit, Fox, and Bear were conceived and told by slaves. They are an important contribution to our collective literary heritage.

Excerpted from The Harper Anthology of American Literature: Volume Two:

Well in advance of the Twentieth-Century development of folklore studies and cultural anthropology as academic disciplines, Joel Chandler Harris gathered the dialect tales he had heard in his childhood told by slaves. He placed them within a narrative context that made them available to a large white audience, sharpening the effects of their regional details and the age-old wisdom by which the enslaved secretly outwit their masters. Through his work with the Uncle Remus tales, he would introduce Americans to the basic patterns and rhythms of southern African-American speech. Because of Harris' accomplishments, American mainstream literature featured a memorable new character, Uncle Remus, as well as a new literary tradition.

Harris insisted that his sources were genuine and that his documentation of the plot and dialect was accurate. In this way, Uncle Remus goes back in time to African models, as well as to the animal tales of Aesop and Chaucer. Harris helped inspire other writers in the vernacular through his adroit use of narrative forms and his ability to emphasize the universal nature of these classic standoffs between the weak and the powerful.

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I can tell this is a very sensitive subject.

First of all, I am one of the many young ones who have never seen Song of the South, and personally, I would like to see it in the US.

From all the posts I read, I think there were some really good points made.

When Warner Bros. released The Looney Tunes Collection, Volume 4, there was a disclaimer at the beginning that stated these cartoons were a product of their time. The racial prejudices were wrong before and are worng today.

Song of the South came out from a very different time and a very different era. Back in those days, nobody considered it racist; everybody thought it was just pure fun. It was the years that went by is when we became aware that something was wrong with these films and /or cartoons.

If you are going to release it in the US market, release it as part of the Disney Treasures collection. There should be a disclaimer on the back of the DVD that should say this:

Song of the South is for the adult Disney collector and may not be appropriate for Children.

Next, the movie should get a higher rating from G to PG for some "thematic issues".

They should also state the disclaimer above at the beginning of the DVD.

I will say this... it's not the film that bothers me the most, it's the attitude some parents have towards the film. If they don't see a problem with racial stereotypes, and dismiss sensitive issues as the over-reaction of overly sensitive groups, what will the children think?
    I agree completely. Negative and inaccurate stereotypes of any sort, including those that relate to groups to which I belong, are offensive to me, as well. But, that fact is really the reason I wanted to pose the question of this thread.

Is there anyone who actually is offended by "Remus", and can he or she explain that to which he or she takes umbrage so that Disney can address those concerns, specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    Song of the South came out from a very different time and a very different era. Back in those days, nobody considered it racist; everybody thought it was just pure fun. It was the years that went by is when we became aware that something was wrong with these films and /or cartoons.
    I think one of the reasons several people are frustrated about this issue is because the point of the film is anything but racist.

It's a progressive work of art that is arguing against racism, or the irrational belief in the superiority of one "race" over another.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I can't help but think to myself, what would Walt think
    of Song of the South not being released today, even
    if he were to have live through the past 40 years.

I really think it's an insult to the history of the Disney
    Company, that they refuse to release Song of the South
    at this point in time. It was ok to release 20 years ago
    in theaters, and on video overseas recently. Why not
    in the US today.

And I wouldn't be afraid to show it to children.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I think one of the reasons several people are frustrated about this issue is because the point of the film is anything but racist.

It's a progressive work of art that is arguing against racism, or the irrational belief in the superiority of one "race" over another.
    Indeed, I don't think Walt intended to make it a racist movie. His actions in relation to the film speak to this.

I sort of look at it as a simular situation to Uncle Tom's Cabin or even the Jazz Singer... Song of the South is an interesting historical work... But just because something is historic and interesting doesn't mean that it should be released. I think it would be unethical for Disney to capitalize off of rereleasing the film in any context which would highlight it's own controversy...
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

I absolutely love the movie and I can't wait to get it out here! I have heard you can buy it in London....

• DCA lover

To answer the OP, would I object?: NO.
    From the bits I've seen and what I know about the film I still fail to see how it i is racist. Insensitive to realities of the period, perhaps, but racist? No. And who cares? It is essentially an artistic work from long ago. Agreeing or disagreeing with the content, no reason to "hide" this film. As was said, if they really worry about it, the DVD can have a "let's explain this" documentary on the side. It's kinda ridiculous that Disneyland built a whole ride around this film that most youngsters will never see, or hear of for that matter.
    And yeah, if Disney really cared so much about profiting over such, ahem, "controversial" content, the film wouldn't be being distributed overseas. What a crock.

ETA: And apparently it's okay to release cartoons that are blatantly racist against Japanese, but not blacks. I suppose that's another issue entirely.
    Last edited by Hippie; 01-18-2007 at 07:24 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345