Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Would Anyone on MiceChat Object to "Song of the South" Being Made Available?

I'm curious to know if there are any MiceChat users who have seen the film and who object to it being shown in the United States?

I've seen the first third of the film and a few other segments, and the release wouldn't bother me at all, especially if explanatory information regarding the original author and the historical background is added to the D.V.D. and Blu-Ray discs.

• Banned User

Re: Would Anyone on MiceChat Object to "Song of the South" Being Made Available?

What's so bad about it?

Sorry, never seen it but I really want to.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Would Anyone on MiceChat Object to "Song of the South" Being Made Available?

I wouldn't mind.

• Married and happy again!!

I would love to finally have a legit dvd of it. I love the movie.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Knight of Naughtyness

I would love to see it released. They could even include a very tasteful documentary about the time period in which it was made and the life of those involved in the film. (Did you know that James Basket (Uncle Remus) was the first live actor hired by Walt, or that he was unable to attend the premiere in Atlanta because he was unable to get a room because he is black?) They could even have a little introduction before the film starts, and turn it into a pseudo-history lesson as well. So many tasteful ways they could re-release the film and bring attention to the civil rights movement and the good and bad points in history that got us to where we are today.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

•   
    • Minion

I have seen the film, and have read critical analysis both for and against the film. I have read the accounts of film historans, and heard Dave Smith speak recently on the subject on KQED radio. I can conclusively say that, No, I don't think it should be released.

But this spector will forever haunt the company so long as Splash Mountain features the film. And yes, it is a topic that really ticks off everyone... Those who want the film released, those who are angry about the fact the film was made. I don't think anyone can win either way...

So no, it shouldn't be released...

It is just sad and unfortunate.
    Check out my other blog:

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    I have seen the film, and have read critical analysis both for and against the film. I have read the accounts of film historans, and heard Dave Smith speak recently on the subject on KQED radio. I can conclusively say that, No, I don't think it should be released.
    Do you mind sharing your opinion as to why?
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Can I say that I am sick and tired of all the political correctness surrounding Song of the South? It portrays negative black racial stereotypes. There. I said it. We all know this. It also has some of the finest animation Disney ever made. The live action portions are a bit weak except for James Baskett, who is excellent, but it's still an entertaining movie.

Song of the South is the big purple elephant in the room that no one at Disney wants to talk about. They just want to pretend it's not there so they don't have to deal with it. I say release it under the Walt Disney Legacy or Walt Disney Treasures DVD label and target it to Disney collectors rather than kids and families. Then, go the route Disney went with the latest Silly Symphonies collection. Bring Leonard Maltin in to trip over himself apologizing about how racially insensitive some of the content is.

As a piece of Disney movie history, Song of the South needs to be released to contemporary audiences and presented with the proper historical context. Then maybe we can stop beating this subject to death on MiceChat.

• Shablagoo!

If they can release WWII era shorts that have very negative depictions of Japanese they can relases Song of the South.

• Queen of Sarcasm

I would love to have this released. I have seen parts of it but I would like to see the whole thing.

• Banned User

I watched it 3 times to find out the parts so bad about...and i found nothing offensive or anything related to racism.

Release it

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I say release it. The little girl in that movie I know. Her name is Evelyn - I think she's credited as such. Can't recall her lastname - and haven't seen the movie in 20 years or more - but she did star as the little girl in that flick.

My explanation is vague, as again, I only saw it once. But she brought me pictures of her with "Uncle Remus" etc.

Were you offended by the film, Cellarhound, and, if so, why?

• Main Street with a friend

I have a pow version, which doesn't play well in vhs players, so I've sort of seen it. The bits and pieces that would play did not seem offensive. I'd love to see it in the proper format.
    "All our dreams can come true.....if we have the courage to pursue them."
    - Walt Disney

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Were you offended by the film, Cellarhound, and, if so, why?
    Walt took the film to the NAACP after it was completed and ready to be distributed. His intent was to inshure that the film would not be offensive... We are talking good intentions.

NAACP really took him to task... They complained that Walt should have gone to them with a script before filming even started. My understanding is that they made their objections known.

Most of those who saw the film, wanted the film to be edited. The biggest edit that people wanted made was to have the film run a date before the opening of the film setting it AFTER the emancipation proclamation. But others said that it would likely not been enough.

Walt released the film without editing. I don't think he could justify not releasing the picture because it would have bankrupt the studio. I don't think he coulld justify editing the film, because no matter what he would do, someone whould have objected to the film.

Flash forward to 2007.

Disney is a publicly traded company with investors that are known activists. Among those the most activists are the ones with the largest share of stock. These happen to be State Employee Pension Funds regulated by government.

Do you want the NAACP going after them to ditch Disney stock? Particularly if you are a executive who's partial pay is tied to stock price? And your company has been able to build good will since going public... No. There is too much down side and risk involved in releasing the film...

It has nothing to do with how many units disney would sell... It has everything to do with setting a chain reaction that could trigger a massive sell off. Which could jepordise Disney as a business.

This is why the film will never be released... And should never be released...

And yes it is unfortunate and sad, because people love the stories... But it would just amount into too much damage and not enough good.
    Check out my other blog:

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast