• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Dream On Silly Dreamer Screening

We just got back from a screening of the film Dream On Silly Dreamer at the Alex Theatre in Glendale, CA. The theatre has a very large forecourt which was jam-packed with people... people we soon learned were almost exclusively former Disney animators. What a gathering of talent! I went to get Victoria and I a glass of wine, but the line was just too long. When I found her again, she introduced me to Andreas Deja whom she had just met. He was very charming and kindly obliged us with a souvenir of the evening:

At 7:30, the theatre doors were opened and we filed in. The Alex has a capacity of 1445. It was filled! A few minutes after 8:00, the lights dimmed and someone walked out onto the stage. When the lights came up, we saw that it was Roy Disney. The theatre erupted into an extended standing ovation. Roy delivered a few welcoming remarks then introduced the film's producer, Tony West and director, Dan Lund. After they spoke about the making of the film, an a capella group called "Reverse Osmosis" sang a couple of Disney songs. Then the film started. If you can find a way... see this film. Using animated sequences and the reminiscenses of the animators, it tells of the dedication felt by the Disney animators, how hard they worked to make the films wonderful and how much they loved what they did. It also tells the story of the demise of 2D animation and the firing of over 200 artists at Disney Animation in Burbank. It is whimsical and sad at the same time. After being told by management that the 2D animators were were no longer needed... presumably because the public now only wanted CGI... one of the more thought-provoking observations was made by one animator who said, "They had the London Philharmonic and they wanted a boy band."

A more complete synopsis can be found at http://www.dreamonsillydreamer.com/about.html
    On March 25, 2002, more than 200 Disney artists working at the studio’s legendary Feature Animation Department in Burbank, were told that their services were no longer needed by the company. It took only one uncomfortable gathering with the president of Feature Animation, now dubbed “The Tom Meeting”, to kill 75 years of a beloved animated tradition. A similar series of events soon played out at Disney’s other animation studios in Paris, Tokyo and Florida. Doors were closed for good and in total nearly 1300 skilled artists and craftsmen were fired. The company, best known for it’s handcrafted animated features, no longer wanted artists to draw for them.
    After the film ended, the singers returned to the stage to sing "When You Wish Upon A Star" and the evening ended.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Oh... one more thing I forgot to mention above. During salary negotiations, one animator stated that whatever Michael Eisner made in 1 hour, he would take as his annual pay. After doing the math, his superior told him they could not pay him that much.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Senior Minion

Tom Thanks for the update on this screening. Ilive in Nor cal and could not make this It would have been nice to see it. Is it coming to SF possibly?
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    Tom Thanks for the update on this screening. Ilive in Nor cal and could not make this It would have been nice to see it. Is it coming to SF possibly?
    Nothing is planned yet. I'm glad to hear that everything went so well! I wish I could have been there. I was so close to buying a plane ticket out there too but then I realized that I would have become completely broke. Was anyone else able to see it?

As I have mentioned before, I saw this film when it showed in Minnesota and I would suggest that you should see this film. Especially any Disney fan.

• Que que no-tu-rah.

I was at the screening as well and had a wonderful time. It was very obvious that most everyone there had been a part of the Feature Animation Team at Walt Disney at some time. The sense of friends coming together was palpable. So much so that I almost felt like I was crashing a party. The movie was very well done. It was touching and heartbreaking to see faces and personalities finally put to the hundres of animation crew members that were treated so awfully.

The highlight of the evening was getting to meet Roy Disney. I saw him in the courtyard of the theatre before the doors opened and was able to have a quick chat with he and his wife. They were very gracious and friendly. It was obvious they were both really glad to be there for the screening. Even though I didn't think to bring my camera to the event I'll never forget it.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?