What's happening with the Strategic Planning Group?

According to reports (on here and in the press) Iger was getting rid of the Strategic Planning Group (SPG) headed up by Peter Murphy as a way of pleasing the troops and (he said) freeing up entrepeneurialism.

So what really happened? And what is happening? Did it work? Did the group that replaced the SPG stay small or did it grow big again? Do ex-SPGers have the power anyway? Or did everyone just hate them?

Very interested!!

• Minion

Re: What's happening with the Strategic Planning Group?

The Strategic Planning group as it existed under Peter Murphy was indeed disbanded by Iger, with business units now able to make more independent decisions.

***But the senior executives trained by Strategic Planning are still operating throughout the company on the assumptions taught by that sorely mistaken "corporate change" program (Jay Rasulo, etc.), so their poor anti-traditionalist MBA theories are still widely in place. Only PIXAR is really run differently, more in the Walt and Roy tradition. The hope is that they will influence the others in trickledown fashion...

Also, the finance group still has to rubber stamp everything, so WDC is still fraught with risk-averse central oversight.

• Minion

Killing Strategic Planning didn't change Disney's OB... There needed to be systemic culture change... I am not seeing it... The only real wild card is Lasseter and the power he has from the top down... But this doesn't really change the OB... A good analogy is having someone (Lasseter) smacking the side of an old tube tv set (Rasulo) in order to get better reception (high quality attractions). It is inefficiant and potentially problematic.
    Check out my other blog:

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    A good analogy is having someone (Lasseter) smacking the side of an old tube tv set (Rasulo) in order to get better reception (high quality attractions). It is inefficiant and potentially problematic.
    But we would feel better for that action.

It has been a while since I posted. The last time I was called a Disney Corporate Mole and part of a corporate PR plan - neither was true so I gave up talking. A little frustrated with the attacks... Then I got sick and was in and out of the hospital - - during this whole time Disney was incredibly supportive and caring. I have been back for a while now and thought I would give this board a try again.

When Strat Planning was disbanded - there was definitely quite a bit of excitement because it seemed that things were much better. It honestly has been hit and miss. They put into place Kevin Mayer a former strat planner who seems to be much better but sometimes they find themselves stepping over the line.

The group is a little smaller than before and it seems that the different divisions are taking on more responsiblity. But there are still stories about Strat Planning getting a little too involved.

Things are better - but not perfect

• Banned User

Isn't Lasseter overseeing Rasulo? Can't he over-ride idiot Rasulo and order new attractions for the parks? Or is Lasseter under Rasulo?

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    Isn't Lasseter overseeing Rasulo? Can't he over-ride idiot Rasulo and order new attractions for the parks? Or is Lasseter under Rasulo?
    Lasseter reports directly to Iger, because he's an 'advisor' to P&R/WDI. Rasulo is not his boss, nor vice versa.

To use my tired old 'Dune' analogy... Iger is the Emperor, Lasseter is the Reverend Mother, Pixar is the Bene Gesserit, and Rasulo is the Baron Harkonnen. Disneyland could be considered Arrakis, with the hardcore foamers (that's us) representing the Fremen. The Duke Atreides -- Matt Ouimet -- is already gone, and his son Paul Atreides is still missing in the desert. The APs are obviously the sandworms, and their disposable income is the spice. (Yeah I know the worms are humongous... please don't go there.)
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Banned User

Clever analogy.

• Banned User

Strategy planning still exists

Liked the analogy and the insights....

If strategy planning still exists - where is it? what is it? who is it?

How big is it now? Did it shrink? Who runs it?

Strategy is what leads to the Disney we experience - if we want a different Disney we need a different strategic process/content.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Strategy planning still exists
    To be honest, it probably should at some advisery level... But it was operating like Rasputin as he advised the Czar... Given way too much power, and as a result the Russian Empire crumbled...
    Check out my other blog:

Bearing in mind how Rasputin died...

"He was finally killed in 1916 by a cabal of aristocrats who feared Rasputin's influence had grown too great. Rasputin's death became the stuff of legend: assassins fed him poisoned cakes and wine, and when the poison failed to kill Rasputin they shot him and beat him. Still Rasputin didn't die, until finally the men bound him and tossed him into the Neva River, where he drowned."

http://www.who2.com/rasputin.html

I wonder how many dose of poison, shots to the head, and beatings it would take for strategic planning to die?

Interesting analogy... people fearing the influence was too great and very hard to kill. Would LOVE to talk to someone who has worked with or for the group to understand more about how it worked... Anyone know anyone?