• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Disney takes brochures out of hotels, businesses across state - Orl. Sentinel,1/10/07

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business...ness-headlines

Walt Disney World has pulled its colorful brochures from thousands of hotels, motels, restaurants and businesses throughout the state, maintaining they do little to attract visitors staying at other Florida tourist destinations.

Disney officials call it a business decision, but the move has angered some hoteliers and tourism executives. They say their guests have been inconvenienced by the absence of information about Florida's most popular attraction.

"Shock; that was my initial reaction," said Bob Davis, president and chief executive officer of the Hotel Motel Association of Volusia County, which represents more than 100 hotels. "I am questioning why they would not want 8 million visitors who come to Daytona Beach and Volusia County every year. I think they made a poor decision."

Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Senior Minion

Re: Disney takes brochures out of hotels, businesses across state - Orl. Sentinel,1/1

I personally think the Disney name speaks to itself. And most of the information on the flyers isn't really anything relevant really. I figure that they are of the mindset (Disney execs) that most people use the internet to get their information as opposed to some brochure.

• I was deleted.

Re: Disney takes brochures out of hotels, businesses across state - Orl. Sentinel,1/1

And so many of those flyers are picked up SO many times by individuals who do nothing with them. If nothing else, it's saving trees.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I'm guessing those who are going to the hotels/motels in places like Daytona Beach are aware that a place known as Walt Disney World exists. A colorful piece of paper isn't going to convince them to drive to Orlando any more than the current knowledge they have about the resort will.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch74 View Post
    I personally think the Disney name speaks to itself. And most of the information on the flyers isn't really anything relevant really. I figure that they are of the mindset (Disney execs) that most people use the internet to get their information as opposed to some brochure.
    I think that is what they are counting on...

From article-

"We made a business decision," said Bill Warren, Disney's vice president of public affairs. "Our research indicated that the brochures that were in the hotels were not the reason for people to come to Disney. We are always evaluating the effectiveness of our marketing, and if something is not effective, it doesn't necessarily make sense to keep investing in it."
    Way to reach out to your customer's, Bill!

That is the dumbest reason I ever heard!

Why don't you just say it is cost cutting measure, because you have a cost over run on implementing prizes on this year of a million dreams, and your budget got cut. And you don't want the cost for such things to come out of your fat marketing salary...
    Last edited by cellarhound; 01-10-2007 at 02:56 PM.
    Check out my other blog:

What a typically ballsey F-U to the state's hotels and restaurants.

The Mouse just wants everyone to visit WDW, stay at WDW, eat every meal atWDW, and spend every penny they have at WDW ... other than that, WDW is a great corporate citizen for the state of Florida!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I just can't quite believe how many people are totally pissed that WDW isn't putting brochures in motels anymore! Do you really think there are that many people visiting Florida who see a brochure and say, "Hey... look at this place! Let's go check it out!"

EVERYONE knows that WDW is in Florida. They either visit the state with the intention of going there or they visit the state to go somewhere else. WDW is not an "impulse" kinda thing.

Big Bubba's Gator World isn't putting any brochures in motels either. Are you pissed at them?

WDW doesn't need to advertise. Everyone already knows who they are, where they are and what they are.

When you go to the grocery store, do you really need a brochure to tell you all about SPAM? You already know what it is. You either get some or you don't.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Let's actually read the article...

Steve Baker, an Orlando theme-park consultant and former Disney executive, said the move is in line with the company's increased emphasis on getting visitors to stay at Disney-owned hotels and spend several days visiting all of the company's theme parks.

"A hotel guest is a much more lucrative guest than a day guest," Baker said.
    So all we want you to do is fly into Orlando, get on our bus, spend all your money and leave. Forget all the other great stuff that Florida offers. Heck, we have our own government, so we really aren't part of Florida...

Susan Teller, the front-office manager at a Sleep Inn hotel in Clearwater, said that every week guests ask for Disney brochures.

"Now that there is no brochure, people are kind of like, 'Could you look this up for me; could you look that up for me?' " Teller said. "As much as I want to help people, it's kind of hard when I have five people standing in front of me waiting to pull this information up on the computer. And the computer is slow. They get frustrated and say, 'We'll just go to Busch Gardens instead.' I've had that happen to me twice."

Drake Decker, owner of Florida Suncoast Tourism Promotions in Largo, the company that provides brochures to Teller's hotel, said that since removing the Disney brochures from about 1,800 to 2,000 locations on Florida's west coast, his employees have gotten a lot of complaints and questions.

"As soon as we pulled them from the racks, we had a deluge of calls and questions," he said. "There has been quite a bit of dissatisfaction about not having the materials."

Rhonda Murphy, a spokeswoman for Universal Orlando, said her company has no plans to scale back its brochure distribution.

"We think brochures are a great way for Florida residents and day-trippers to learn more about our parks," Murphy said.

Baker, the theme-park consultant, said although brochures are especially important for smaller attractions such as Gatorland, Arabian Nights and water parks -- they are not essential to Disney.
    Sounds like Gator World is putting brochures into the hotels...

And as someone trying to help out a guest, having a flyer with a map on it telling folks how to get somewhere is very helpful. Yes, folks know the Disney name, but if I flew into Florida, I would need directions on how to get there!
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com