• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Meryl Streep puts the Ma in 'Mamma Mia!' feature film

Mother's Day for Streep in Musical 'Mia!'

By Borys Kit
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Jan 11, 2007

Meryl Streep will star in Universal Pictures and Playtone's adaptation of the popular ABBA musical "Mamma Mia!" Theater director Phyllida Lloyd is in negotiations to make her feature directorial debut on the pic, which is being produced by Playtone and Littlestar (HR 1/9).

The story revolves around a bride-to-be and her formerly rebellious mom who raised her on a Greek island and never disclosed the identity of her father. The bride locates three men who might be her father and invites them to her wedding. Streep will play the mom.

The musical, created by Judy Craymer and Catherine Johnson, features 22 ABBA songs, including "Dancing Queen," "Take a Chance on Me" and "The Winner Takes It All." The part marks the first musical for Streep, who has showed off her pipes in such movies as "A Prairie Home Companion," "Postcards From the Edge" and "Death Becomes Her."

Producing are Playtone's Gary Goetzman and Littlestar's Craymer. Tom Hanks, Goetzman's partner at Playtone, and Rita Wilson are executive producing along with ABBA members and songwriters Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus.

The movie's screenplay was written by Johnson, who wrote the show's book.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...9eb332f0352f3b

• World Traveler

Re: Meryl Streep puts the Ma in 'Mamma Mia!' feature film

Meryl is going to sing?

• Man O Lantern

Okay, I love this show and the cast recording and I can't imagine Meryl in the role.

I never say this....but she's too old for the part. The character is a younger mom. I always though early 40's, late thirties. Meryl just plays older....I love her, but I can't see her in this.

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Okay, I love this show and the cast recording and I can't imagine Meryl in the role.

I never say this....but she's too old for the part. The character is a younger mom. I always though early 40's, late thirties. Meryl just plays older....I love her, but I can't see her in this.
    Agreed.

One of the few musicals I've seen. Really liked it. Love Meryl Streep and I think she's gonna do great. Didn't anyone see Postcards from the Edge? She can sing.

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post

I agree completely. But at least they aren't shoving a non-singer with mediocre acting chops in there. I think I'd be even more upset if that were the case. Mamma Mia isn't the greatest accomplishment of theatrical writing, but it's a heck of a lot of fun. For me it was all about the energy of the crowd knowing and loving the music. I wonder if that feeling can translate to the screen.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Bornieo Goes Bananas View Post
    Didn't anyone see Postcards from the Edge? She can sing.
    Her singing was the best part of that film (that and Dennis Quaid's abs), her version of "You Don't Know Me" was killer!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Brosnan set for 'Mamma Mia!'

Actor cast opposite Steep in ABBA musical

Brosnan

By Michael Fleming
    Variety
    March 7, 2007

Pierce Brosnan will play the male lead opposite Meryl Streep in "Mamma Mia!," the film adaptation of the hit musical for Universal and producing partners Playtone and Littlestar.

Pic begins shooting June 25 in London and Greece.

Brosnan sang a few Irish standards in the indie drama "Evelyn," and sang onstage early in his career. But this will be a decided departure for an actor best known for playing the steely James Bond. Brosnan will play Sam, one of three men summoned to a Greek isle by a young woman who believes one of them is her father.

For Brosnan, the opportunity to belt out such ABBA standards as "S.O.S.," which will be a duet with Streep, was irresistible.

"I said yes right away because it meant working with Meryl Streep," Brosnan told Daily Variety. "Secondly, I saw the show with my family in London, and found it just so wonderfully happy and joyful, and so pitched in time forever in the 1970s. What a kick in the pants, to be able to go off and spend time with Meryl on some Greek island, singing ABBA songs."

"Mamma Mia!" is being produced by Littlestar's Judy Craymer and Playtone's Gary Goetzman and Tom Hanks. Rita Wilson will exec produce with Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus, latter of whom wrote the tunes when they were the creative catalysts for ABBA.

"Pierce brings a certain smooch factor and we think he'll have great chemistry with Meryl in a romantic comedy," said Craymer. "He is just the perfect choice."

Phyllida Lloyd, who directed "Mamma Mia!" in its London and Broadway runs, is helming the picture, which was scripted by Catherine Johnson. She wrote the book for the stage musical, which recently surpassed $2 billion in ticket sales in over 140 cities since opening in 1999.

Brosnan takes the job while preparing a sequel to "The Thomas Crown Affair," which John Rogers scripted and which Brosnan is producing under his Irish DreamTime banner. A director will be set shortly and production will begin before year's end.

Brosnan recently completed "Butterfly on a Wheel," a co-production between Irish DreamTime and Icon that will be distributed by Lionsgate, and he also recently shot "Married Life," a Sidney Kimmel Entertainment pic that will be released by MGM.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Delawarean Girl

I think Meryl will do great too. I look forward to this movie.

• Future Disney Villain

I read this a while back, and I LOVE the idea of Meryll Streep as Donna in Mamma Mia. It's going to be so much better than John Travolta as Edna Turnblad in Hairspray. and I love Hairspray.

Muppets are Totally Ab-Fab!

Professor Phantasma- Making inopportune comments about your Uggs since 2006

• Banned User

I think that after The Devil Wears Prada, it's obvious that Meryl's really great at doing nonserious more campy roles. I'm really interested to see her in this, I think.

• Future Disney Villain

Quote Originally Posted by clairebear View Post
    I think that after The Devil Wears Prada, it's obvious that Meryl's really great at doing nonserious more campy roles. I'm really interested to see her in this, I think.
    Fun and Campy...that was SOOO Meryll in A Series of Unfortunate Events

Muppets are Totally Ab-Fab!

Professor Phantasma- Making inopportune comments about your Uggs since 2006

• Happy Memories

Interesting... They better cast some well known men as the other two prospective fathers then. I would think if you have two unknown (or lesser known) guys and Brosnan, it's gonna seem a little obvious who the actual father is going to be. Or am I the only one who would think that way? I mean, I know the show, but for someone who doesn't I would think that would take away some of the mystery.

• done

Well, technically, we don't know *who* the actual father is...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Will Baranski and Walters Join Streep in Mamma Mia! Movie?

By John Nathan
    Playbill.com
    16 Apr 2007

Christine Baranski
    photo by Henry Leutwyler
    London's Daily Mail reports that Christine Baranski and Julie Walters will join Meryl Streep in the movie version of the ABBA musical Mamma Mia!

Baranski, the London daily says, will play Tanya, while Walters will take on the role of Rosie, both close friends of Streep's character Donna, whose daughter Sophie is getting married.

Baranski is a two-time Tony winner, the first for Mike Nichols' production of Tom Stoppard's The Real Thing, the second for her performance in Neil Simon's Rumors. The actress is still remembered as the hard-drinking Maryanne in the nineties sitcom "Cybil." Baranski most recently appeared onstage in the Manhattan Theatre Club production of Regrets Only.

Walters won a 2001 Olivier Award for the National production of Arthur Miller's All My Sons. On screen she played the dance mistress in the movie version of "Billy Elliot," a performance that brought her an Oscar nomination.

Joining Streep, Baranski and Walters on the "Mamma Mia!" film set – filming is scheduled to start in June – will be Pierce Brosnan as one of Donna's ex-suitors.

The movie will be directed by Phyllida Lloyd, who will be making her feature-film debut. Lloyd helmed both the London and Broadway mountings of the international hit musical.

London's Daily Mail also reports that three songs from the stage show have been dropped: "Thank You For the Music," "Under Attack" and "Knowing Me, Knowing You." The movie, however, introduces another ABBA song to book and screenplay writer Catherine Johnson's storyline, "When All Is Said and Done."

Based on the back catalogue of 70s pop group ABBA, Johnson's plot tells the story of bride-to-be Sophie Sheridan, who hopes to discover her father's identity on the eve of her wedding. She brings three men from her mother Donna's past back to the Greek island they last visited 20 years previously.

The show and film features music and lyrics by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus. Since the original London production opened in 1999, the show has grossed over $2 billion worldwide.
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107362.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast