• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

David Beckham scores L.A. Galaxy $250 million deal

Beckham heads for L.A. in $250 million deal

By Carl DiOrio
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Jan 12, 2007

Sports celebrity and merchandising magnet David Beckham, his Hollywood-enamored Spice Girl wife by his side, is headed to Los Angeles with a new, five-year, $250 million soccer deal that CAA helped to negotiate.

Beckham -- yes, as in "Bend It Like Beckham" -- and his wife, Victoria, aka Posh Spice, are daily tabloid fodder in England and many other soccer-crazed countries, including Spain, where he currently toils for the Real Madrid squad. He will continue to play there through June before joining Major League Soccer's Los Angeles Galaxy later in the summer.

But he is no mere soccer player.

Beckham is managed by Simon Fuller, creator of "American Idol" progenitor "Pop Idol" and the Spice Girls. And his ability to sell products of all sorts -- including, of course, zillions of replica soccer jerseys -- is so legend as to prompt many in the sports media to suggest it was actually Beckham's marketing magnetism that moved Madrid to pay him $41 million in transfer fees to acquire his services from England's Manchester United in 2003.

Beckham, a globe-trotting socialite whose Hollywood pals include Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, already has sparked a surge in Galaxy ticket sales even though he likely won't join the team until four months after the April start of the MLS season. Adidas, for which he endorses athletic gear, also should be happy about his moving into the U.S. market.

Meanwhile, if all the global hubbub over a 31-year-old blond-locked pretty boy athlete is hard to believe, consider that it's a shtick that's just netted Beckham personally a cool $50 million a year. Few athletes earn more, though Forbes magazine estimated that Tiger Woods was paid $87 million in golf winnings and endorsements compensation in 2005.

Although the explanation for Beckham's pay deal goes well beyond his forte for banana-shaped free kicks or other soccer abilities -- generally considered to be on the wane -- it also begs media scrutiny of how the famously thrifty MLS or its Galaxy franchise can afford to pay so high a sum
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...143795bba65cdd

Last edited by ALIASd; 01-11-2007 at 05:23 PM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• For You!

Re: David Beckham scores L.A. Galaxy $250 million deal

Just saw this on the news. Wow.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

This just amazes me. Not to get off on a tangent but do you know what $50 million a year could do for society as a whole?

But instead of feeding homeless people or hungry kids, or putting the money towards research for cures to diseases, ONE MAN is getting paid $50 million a year to play soccer. And not just to single Beckham out, but all sports stars for that matter.

OK, rant over.

Welcome to Los Angeles!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

^ well, not all of it is to play soccer, I think his image rights are getting him a good percentage of it, I read somewhere today that it's about 9-10 million a year for soccer, the rest is endorsments. I do agree though that the money that pro athletes make is out of control.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• e komo mai

Yep. I may just go to my first soccer game ever... you know, to cheer for the Galaxies... ahem...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Vanity Fair 2004 - right on the money...!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• May the F=ma be with you

I am not a big fan of the Galaxy. A friend of mine played for them for several months this past season. He was traded away. David will certainly bring the ratings that the league needs but for how long will this last? When Pele played for the Cosmos in the NASL, Giant's Stadium was at 77,000 spectators for every game. Pele is different from Beckham. David is not as solid a player as Pele was. There is also a completely different audience.
    Once one calculates his salary, it comes out to about $1.6 Million per game.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Keira and the 'E.R.' girl are thrilled with the news!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    I am not a big fan of the Galaxy. A friend of mine played for them for several months this past season. He was traded away. David will certainly bring the ratings that the league needs but for how long will this last? When Pele played for the Cosmos in the NASL, Giant's Stadium was at 77,000 spectators for every game. Pele is different from Beckham. David is not as solid a player as Pele was. There is also a completely different audience.
    Once one calculates his salary, it comes out to about $1.6 Million per game.
    Beckham is worth every penny, and more in terms of increased attendance around the league, merchandise sales, etc. Tim Leiweke and the Anschutz group aren't stupid. They wouldn't give him the money if they didn't think they could turn a profit from it.

Soccer's not my game, but from what I hear he's past his prime, and nowhere near as good as Pele.

And I get tired of people seemingly seeking out sports stars only when it comes to salaries.

How much has Johnny Depp been paid to play a pirate? How many homeless people could that feed?

I'll tell you one thing. He can't "bend it like Beckham"

--Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 01-11-2007 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typo
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

He is only there for name reasons. He really is not a very good soccer player. He disappears in games. All he is there for is for butt's in the seat and for soccer to become bigger in the U.S. That is it. I will admit that his image is huge but he is overrated and not worth that much money.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    He is only there for name reasons. He really is not a very good soccer player. He disappears in games. All he is there for is for butt's in the seat and for soccer to become bigger in the U.S. That is it. I will admit that his image is huge but he is overrated and not worth that much money.
    Thing of it is, the Galaxy already draw 25,000 people a game...so there's only two thousand more seats they can sell at the Home Depot Center. It's not quite like Wayne Gretzky with the Kings, because he filled a lot of empty seats. And soccer may become a little bit bigger but it will never approach the NFL, NBA or MLB in spectator sport popularity. Least not in our lifetimes.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Thing of it is, the Galaxy already draw 25,000 people a game...so there's only two thousand more seats they can sell at the Home Depot Center. It's not quite like Wayne Gretzky with the Kings, because he filled a lot of empty seats. And soccer may become a little bit bigger but it will never approach the NFL, NBA or MLB in spectator sport popularity. Least not in our lifetimes.

--Barry
    Oh I agree, but that's why he is here. And towards the end of the season, believe me, no one was going to Galaxy games.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• For old time sake

He's so HOT!!! That's all i have to say. But he's past his "prime" as far as soccer goes.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• For old time sake

Mr. Dkat asked me to post this. He's a HUGE soccer fan, and has been following Beckham since his early days in England:
    Mark it down: Jan. 11, 2007 will forever be known as the day that Major League Soccer truly arrived on the world stage.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ham/index.html

Mark it down: Jan. 11, 2007 will forever be known as the day that Major League Soccer truly arrived on the world stage.
    Oh SHUT UP!!!!

David Beckham, the world's most recognizable soccer star, is leaving Real Madrid to join MLS' Los Angeles Galaxy in August on a five-year contract. And he's doing it the age of 31, it should be noted, not at, say, 35, when the world would simply scoff at a washed-up European star coming Stateside for a vacation and an easy paycheck.
    *Knock knock*

Hello? Anybody home? Grant, you still talking out of your ***? A vacation and an easy paycheck is EXACTLY what he's looking forward to. He may be "only" 31 (which is pretty long in the tooth for a winger, anyway), but in case you forgot, he's been going steadily downhill.

Beckham's signing isn't exactly the same thing as the Cosmos's signing of Pelé in the 1970s, but it's awfully close to it.
    That's it. I'm done reading the article. Twit.

Beckham is a much better player than some of his critics are willing to admit --while he has lost a bit of pace, he was still effective at last year's World Cup and remains one of the world's best free kick-takers.
    I've always been a Becks apologist, but what in the world is he talking about? England were positively dreadful when he was on the field in Germany, and whenever Aaron Lennon came on, my gosh, it was a side transformed. I'll cede on the free-kick bit, but in all honesty, how many chances is he going to get at that per game. C'mon, Grant, this is pure silliness now.

In other words, look for Bruce Arena's Red Bulls (and perhaps a few others) to create some major buzz of their own with a big-name signing or two: Ronaldo, the all-time leading goal scorer in World Cup history and Beckham's current teammate at Real Madrid, has long been rumored as a target.
    So the MLS is going to be happy to be known as a league that is able to attract stars well past their prime? Way to settle for that there, Sunil (Gulati, commissioner of the MLS).

The image of Beckham sending crosses onto the head of Landon Donovan for goals is the sort of thing that will be replayed on televisions around the world.
    1. Donovan is a weak header of the ball in general.
    2. Assuming Donovan will finish is a huge proposition. Then again, it'll be against an MLS-quality goalie, so more power.
    3. The aging veteran to the overrated whiny big fish in a small pond. Classic commentary.

Gah, I couldn't fight the urge to finish reading Wahl's article. Normally, I have plenty of time for what he has to say, but my gosh, his head is so far up in the clouds today it's not even funny. It's gone from football commentary to fanboy gushing, and it's really quite pathetic/embarrassing.
    I should also add that for me personally, it's not that I'm anti-MLS or anti-the-US-developing-in-football. I'd love for the game to get bigger here. I just question highly whether this is a right step.

$50 million a year over the next 5 years is a lot of money that could be used elsewhere rather than tied up in the feet of one who is clearly past his prime, and it is truly my sincere hope that in the front office of the MLS, someone will be able to realize that once the initial euphoria over this deal is passed.

$50 million..........meanwhile, kids in poor rural or inner-city areas in the US still won't have a field with green grass nor a goal with nets nor boots to strap on nor trained coaches to help them out. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but financial management like this is almost exactly why football development in the US seems almost doomed--look around the world and ask yourself where most of the best players in the world come from. I may be wrong, but it certainly doesn't seem like they're coming from a life of privilege and being spoon-fed the way the USSF seems to think is the best way to "nurture" young talent.
    Last edited by Disneykat; 01-11-2007 at 09:13 PM.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I knew about this for about a week, but had to keep my mouth shut.

This is AWESOME news, and should help bring fans to the game, plus help in TV (basically MLS buys the time from ESPN and ABC, and sells them the rights to the World Cup), increased ratings will put more money into MLS than to ESPN/ABC.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast