Thread: Children of Men

• oh bugger

Children of Men

Has anyone else seen this movie? I saw it on New Year's Eve and it is amazing. I've looked around and haven't found any mention of it in any other threads and wanted to see what people thought.

Alfonso Cuaron directs another amazing film. If anyone else has seen it maybe you can help me figure out some of the extended single take shots, such as the car chase. How'd he pull that off? the camera moves, it rotates in 360 degrees and I wanna know what he used and how he did it.

Also, what did you think about the movie. It has to be one of the most shockingly realistic take on a possible end of days future. It presents the future in a way that is more realistic than a lot of other similar scenario films. I highly recommend it, and you get to watch Clive Owen for 2 hours, can't beat that.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Children of Men

It's brilliant. Have seen it twice and will see it again. Clive Owen deserves a Best Actor nomination for his fantastic performance.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Thumbs up Re: Children of Men

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52 View Post
    It has to be one of the most shockingly realistic take on a possible end of days future. It presents the future in a way that is more realistic than a lot of other similar scenario films.
    I couldn't agree more. It was an excellent movie -- but I had a hard time shaking it off. It left me feeling pretty grim.

The whole cast was excellent, and Clive definately deserves an oscar nomination.
    "Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves" ~ J.M Berrie

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

USC writes in 'Children'
    Cuaron drama wins 19th annual Scripter award

By Dave McNary
    Variety
    January 15, 2007

The USC Libraries have selected "Children of Men"
    as the winner of the 19th annual Scripter award.

The kudo, to be presented Feb. 18 in a ceremony at USC's Edward L. Doheny Jr. Memorial Library, will honor British writer P.D. James -- who published the book in 1992 -- and screenwriters Alfonso Cuaron, Timothy J. Sexton, David Arata, Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby for their adaptation.

The selection committee, led by USC School of Cinematic Arts writing division chair Howard A. Rodman, chose "Children of Men" from a field of 45 eligible films released in 2006. The other finalists were "The Devil Wears Prada," "The Illusionist," "The Last King of Scotland" and "Notes on a Scandal."

"This year's five nominated films were, all of them, heartfelt and elegantly wrought," Rodman said. "In that heady company, 'Children of Men' was first among equals. This is writing and screenwriting of the highest order."
    http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_...ryid=1985&cs=1
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Do you have a 27B/6?

I loved it. Clive Owen is a great actor. My husband pointed out to me- all of those people who are middle-aged in the movie, with their dreadlocks and nose piercings, would be about the same age I am now (24). I think Cuaron did a tremendous job with details like that.
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

...I dont have much to say about the film except it blew me away.

I've seen it twice so far, and I'll probably see it at least one more time before it leaves theaters and hits DVD. Then, I'll definately be buying it on DVD.

Simply amazing film with incredible attention to detail. Not to mention an incredibly haunting storyline, with tremendous impact to the human psyche.

It sticks with you, this one does, and because it isn't too hard to imagine something like this happening. Maybe not on this level, but something devastating like this could happen, sending the world into chaos.

Amazing film. Simply amazing.

• Ooh boy!

Sorry to bump up this old thread, but I bought this movie on DVD the other day and I must say, it is phenomenal.

It did a great job showing how disastrous a world of despair and anarchy could be, especially when mixed with a single "haven" with a totalitarian government.

I especially liked how scenes were done in long takes with the camera right in there with the action.

As for the car chase scene, it is fully explained on the DVD. They took a regular car, took the top off and created a movable, rotatable camera that was fastened on top. There is also room up there for the director, the cameraman, and the cinematographer, I believe. A tarp covers the entire thing so no unnatural light floods in.

From there, the actors and the cameraman work together in tandem. When the camera needs follow though a path, the actors fold chairs down, duck, and quickly regain their positions when needed.

• Inappropriate

That's amazing. That movie blew me away.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!