Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: No More Maltin Disneyland Treasures?

While I'm disappointed Disney is/may be discontinuing the Treasures series, I'm not surprised. Despite a report to the contrary, I think sales volume is playing a role. I remember when the first Disney Treasures came out (Mickey in Living Color, Davy Crockett, Disneyland USA and Silly Symphonies), they sold quickly and were hard to find after only a few weeks of release. Some of the subsequent releases did as well (The Complete Goofy comes to mind right away). I haven't noticed the later waves jumping off the shelves nearly as fast (this is an entirely unscientific observation, mind you).

Also, I think most of the unreleased material Disney has left in the vault appeals mostly to hardcore collectors like us and has limited sales potential to the mainstream consumer. Zorro may be the one exception to that and hopefully we'll see it in a Legacy Collection release one day. I just don't think Disney will be able to move enough silver tins to make future releases viable. When you look at it, even the upcoming Legacy releases are a stretch. Destino is a Disney oddity at best, and though Disneyphiles have a soft spot for Oswald, that silent pre-Mickey rubber hose animation is not going to find favor with audiences accustomed to Nick and Cartoon Network.

The Disney Treasures had a good run while they lasted, but it's time for them to move on.

• Senior Minion

How disappointing. I'm fortunate to have them all and have enjoyed them. Disneytim has a great point about the mainstream customers not jumping on the other sets.

Zorro was released this Season 1 last year(2006) through the Disney Movie Club. But is a disappointment because it had no extras and it was colorized (instead of black and white) badly. It should have been part of the "Treasures" series with behind the scenes, bonus features etc.

Bad show Disney.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    The Disney Treasures had a good run while they lasted, but it's time for them to move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Doesn't sound Disney like to not even tell Maltin.
    Specifically, it is time for them to move on FROM LEONARD MALTIN.

Apparently, a lot of people were really pissed off at him for screwing up the past treasures.

How quickly we forget him passing blame for things like terrible quality control, EDITED versions of shows that were advertised as unedited, terrible VHS copies of Donald transferred unclean to DVD, etc. etc.

Sorry, but Leonard Maltin is like the Krusty the Clown of the DVD world. Stamp his name and likeness, and a little clip, on a ton of DVD releases, wonder why people are pissed off, and instead of saying "oops I screwed up, I'll make sure the next thing with MY NAME ON IT is a quality release" he basically says "oh! It's not MY fault!".

Sorry Leonard, but you KNOW the complaints on the past treasures. Since you aren't going to a) acknowledge problems or b) fix them, then really it is time for you to move the hell on.

And my MC friends I am sure all of the unreleased stuff WILL be released someday, I mean... if Disney can make money off of it, they'll figure out a way.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Sorry Leonard, but you KNOW the complaints on the past treasures. Since you aren't going to a) acknowledge problems or b) fix them, then really it is time for you to move the hell on.

No, I would still be pissed, because there was a time when having the Disney stampped on the side of the box ment "quality" and "attention to detail." These problems would NEVER happen to begin with pre-Eisner...

If you noticed Roy refused to put his name back on the series once he got back in the Company fold again... It is nice to know that someone believes their name means something...

Welcome to lowering costs, cuting quality, while charging a premium with marketing gimmickry... aka "harvesting the brand."
    Last edited by cellarhound; 01-17-2007 at 08:32 AM.
    Check out my other blog:

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    Destino is a Disney oddity at best, and though Disneyphiles have a soft spot for Oswald, that silent pre-Mickey rubber hose animation is not going to find favor with audiences accustomed to Nick and Cartoon Network.
    That's why I didn't understand why some Disney fans had high hopes for Oswald to make a great big come-back. It's nice to have DIsney on it, and maybe a limited release DVD. But like bringing him up to par with Mickey... WHA?!

Why did they release Zorro in color?!

They should release a 3rd direct-to-video Fantasia. I mean I think they're getting a good collection going for Fantasia-inspired shorts that made it out as single releases. The Little Match Girl, Destino, Lorenzo...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

I am not suprised that the Disney Treasures are going away. When the first series came out they were special but after that each series after seemed to "decline by degrees". First they released collectors editions with numbers stamped into the tins. Then the first series gets released as a box set negatively impacting their collector value. Then in other series they release non restored footage that looks as if it was copied straight from VHS. Collectors simply have given up except for some of us die hards that need their fix.

I believe that Leonard Maltin really cares about film history and Disney's history but as a trusted historian and film critic he needs to be more careful about what he attaches his name too.

The first series was great but eventually Disney corporate greed set in and the other series suffered.

• Dark Side Baddie

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlaster View Post
    I am not suprised that the Disney Treasures are going away. When the first series came out they were special but after that each series after seemed to "decline by degrees".
    Bullocks to all of this discussion. Restored or not, the material that was released is next to impossible to find and how can you argue with the extras on these sets? The Hardy Boys together again? An interview with Diane Disney?

Treasures also introduced my family to the Swamp Fox and Elfego Baca...what wonderful shows that we never would have known about had it not been for these discs!

I'm absolutely out of my mind disappointed with this decision and can only hope that Disney is planning something else to compensate for not releasing the rest of the Donald series on disc.

Blast.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Leroy Brown View Post
    Bullocks to all of this discussion. Restored or not, the material that was released is next to impossible to find and how can you argue with the extras on these sets? The Hardy Boys together again? An interview with Diane Disney?
    Wait, so it's ok to pay $32 a pop for a sub-par release as long as there's a nice extra on it? I mean, why bother restoring movies AT ALL if people are just going to say "well at least I got to see it at all" with reference to the expensive OFFICIAL RELEASE?

That just does not sit well with me. Again, I think Disney will eventually release these "gems" even if they aren't part of a collection stamped as "treasures", as long as there is money to be made and an audience for this stuff. Of course there is a balancing act between cost to produce the DVD versus how many disney geeks out there will actually buy the stuff...

If it's going to look utterly craptastic -- then Disney should charge accordingly!!! If these sets were $10, then I doubt we'd hear as many complaints.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

My understanding is that Zorro is still tied up in legal troubles with the estate of Guy Williams.

The video release that happened last year was through the Disney Video Club and was VERY limited. The colorized version was the only source available to them with out spending too much money on it. I suspect when the legal troubles are cleared up, there will be a big splashy release.

As to this comment from Leonard Maltin, has anyone confirmed that this actually came from Maltin, or are we all just speculating over another internet rumor? There is NOHTING on Maltin's official site about this. Makes me a little skeptical.
    Last edited by AtomicAge; 01-21-2007 at 12:16 AM.
    Pain is temporary, Film is forever!

• I was deleted.

Yes, I agree that I really had hoped for more. I mean, I would love more than just week one of the Mickey Mouse Club!

• Drunk On Disney

For what it's worth:
    [QUOTE]First things first today: I've got GREAT news for you Disney fans. I've just confirmed this morning with Buena Vista Home Entertainment that their much loved Walt Disney Treasures line of DVDs has NOT been cancelled. In fact, I'm told that at least a couple more waves of releases in the line are planned, with the next due in time for the holidays this year. We'll post additional details as they become available, but rest assured this news comes straight from the studio and it's the real deal. So there you go, folks![/QUOTE]
    Source:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Great news! I thought this whole thing didn't smell right.
    Pain is temporary, Film is forever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12