Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• time to go

Re: CEO Iger gets $15 million bonus at Disney - MarketWatch, 1/12/07

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    Gil Amelio anyone?
    To hell with Dr. Amelio. What about Michael Ovitz?

Ovitz received over $10 million for each MONTH he worked at Disney, for his severance. That's insane! The shareholders had every right to take WDC to court.

CEO compensation is out of control and has been for years. Period. And Iger's compensation is no exception.

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    No question Iger earned his position at Disney. No question he paid his dues. I respect him and admire him for what he's done. Still, that amount of compensation is out of line. I guess the only thing that bothers me more than top execs being overpaid are top execs who ruin, or nearly ruin a company, get fired and walk away with a massive severence package. Gil Amelio anyone?
    Comparing Iger to another Disney employee, Johnny Depp made $20 million each for the two POTC sequels. Why do we find that acceptable, but reject Iger's $20 million-plus package for running the whole company for an entire year?

I can understand the outrage if Disney wasn't doing well. Eisner and Ovitz's compensation during the "dark times" was ridiculous, but Disney is coming off its best year ever. Why shouldn't Iger be rewarded for that?

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    I can understand the outrage if Disney wasn't doing well. Eisner and Ovitz's compensation during the "dark times" was ridiculous, but Disney is coming off its best year ever. Why shouldn't Iger be rewarded for that?
    Because the profits reaped last year were for projects that began under Eisner's watch, not Iger's. And media stocks across the board have been rising (like Time Warner), not just WDC. Why should Iger be rewarded for investment trends throughout the media/entertainment industry?

The only thing that Iger has done on his own has been purchasing Pixar. Everything else was already in the pipeline when he took over the Rotunda office. Giving him credit for FY2006 is like giving Pressler credit for the first year he was CEO at The Gap. Those profits were solid, but Paul had nothing to do with it.

• Correspondent-Editor

Hi folks,

I'd like to ask a favor if I may. I've been following this thread closely since Disney posted their 2007 Proxy late Friday afternoon (01-12-07).

The issue of CEO compensation versus workers pay is not limited to Disney, however, given the breadth and loyalty of Disney's guests/clients/customers/fans and their familiarity with many of the company's hourly workers and its CEO it takes on a whole new meaning.

Regardless of how you feel about the merit of Bob Iger's compensation I'd like to know how many of you - if any of you - own Disney stock, even if it's a single share.

If you DON'T own stock do you think you'd still feel as you do about Iger's compensation if you did own stock?

If you DO own stock do you feel the number of shares you hold influences your opinions about the company's operations? For example if you only own a single "framed" share of Disney stock do you think you're more or less involved with the company's well being than you would be if you owned more shares?

For those of you not living in the immediate area of this year's shareholders' meeting, therefore requiring time off from work and at least a day's travel, plan on attending the shareholders' meeting in New Orleans on March 8?

If you'd rather not post this information to a open discussion thread please feel free to respond directly offline.

[email protected]

Thanks for your time and consideration.

•   
    • Minion

You know, you're all right. Since Bob just waltzed into the executive offices at Disney one day and they handed him $15 million, I say that's outrageous. After all, the only thing he did was graduate from college magna cum laude then spend the next 30 years working for the same company, taking the first 11 to learn the ropes of the TV industry where job security is mostly a rumor--and leapfrogging young execs with bigger degrees from fancier colleges along the way. Then he survived two changes in ownership and 5+ years working in the shadow of Michael Eisner, the most arrogant jerk corporate America ever produced. Then he took over a corporation that, although profitable, was in the throes of the worst PR disaster it had ever seen. All he did after that was mend fences left and right with people and companies his predecessor had alienated, restore respectability to the company and see it through its most financially successful year ever.

But wait. Tomorrowland still sucks. He doesn't deserve a penny.

Tell you what peeps, you put in the time and effort Bob Iger has, and in thirty years you can take your fat bonus and give it back to all the minimum wage earners who slave for you. I know you'll all be eager to do it seeing how selfless and idealistic you are.

As long as they don't pull an Enron and rape their employees, I don't begrudge any corporate executive for making the kind of money they make. We should all be so lucky.

Good for you Bob.
    People expect magical changes in the way parks are managed... I have some sad news for you...

I think Iger earned that 15 million for the work he did on the Pixar Purchase, and revitalizing ABC alone...

He still has a lot of work to do, though. There are some concernes about sustainability of growth... I see it coming primarly from parks and resorts, and possably film - which is the weakest links revinue wise.

Rasulo is cruzing for thwacking. Theme parks and WDI are going to need to be able to move quickly undernieth the new management structure managing multiple projects... As for the studio I am excited about the film slate this spring - 07 looks to be the year for movies. The success of Pirates is going to be a tough act to follow... And I would hate to think if Disney has placed all the cards on the table this spring to early.
    Last edited by cellarhound; 01-13-2007 at 01:42 PM.
    Check out my other blog:

$15 mil is definitely a big number.. does he deserve it? The bonus is based on Disney performance from October 1, 2005 to Sept 30, 2006. The bonus is pretty much based on a formula on stock price, earnings, growth etc. The formula is from the Management/Board/Towers Perrin.

In Oct 2005 the stock was around $24 in Sept 2006 the stock hit almost $30. The last time the stock was around $30 was the Spring of 2001. Financially 2006 was an amazing year - so Bob definitely benefitted.

His bet on Pixar worked (at least for now), his support of iTunes, abc.com and reduction of the studio have been applauded. They were completely on his watch and not in motion with Michael. It will be interesting to see the 2nd act.

Did Michael set the things in motion? I think some of them definitely - but just like every presidency part of it is luck and part of it is skill.

The point about the cast members is very true - in April comes merit increases and most people will get somewhere between 3-4% - barely even impacting their checks. It is like every major company - where the bottom half and the top half live in separate financial worlds. Not sure that there is any really good way to change that without completely changing the underlying paradigm.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by laman6 View Post
    In Oct 2005 the stock was around $24 in Sept 2006 the stock hit almost $30. The last time the stock was around $30 was the Spring of 2001. Financially 2006 was an amazing year - so Bob definitely benefitted.
    So the stock went up... all media/entertainment companies are seeing their stocks increase, for the first time in years. Disney is no exception. Bob is benefitting from an industry-wide gain.

His bet on Pixar worked (at least for now), his support of iTunes, abc.com and reduction of the studio have been applauded. They were completely on his watch and not in motion with Michael. It will be interesting to see the 2nd act.
    But that is all speculation for the most part. Pixar has yet to pay for itself, even though some profit gains have been realized from iTunes sales. But the standard play out of the Disney Executive Manual -- cost-cutting -- was the only direct affect he had on profitability beyond iTunes. Both Pirates and Cars were approved for production by Eisner, along with any new major additions/campaigns for the theme parks.

Did Michael set the things in motion? I think some of them definitely - but just like every presidency part of it is luck and part of it is skill.
    It's mostly luck at this point. This level of bonus should have been reserved for a few years down the road, when his true worth as CEO will be more accurately measured.

The point about the cast members is very true - in April comes merit increases and most people will get somewhere between 3-4% - barely even impacting their checks. It is like every major company - where the bottom half and the top half live in separate financial worlds. Not sure that there is any really good way to change that without completely changing the underlying paradigm.
    I agree.

• Huh?

Hey, why didn't MarketWatch print an article last Christmas when I got a $25 gift card and a mug?! They completely messed up on their reporting priorities...
    -Tim

I am mixed on the "industry point" - we definitely saw both CBS and Viacom struggle in this same time period - including management changes. So just because you are in media you still need to perform. Especially now when digital media (youtube, google, myspace) are making it more challenging to entertain and monetize their content.

On the timing of his deals -eg Pixar or Studir reduction - I agree that they may or may not pan out in the longterm - but the market/financials are still positive. So if the bonus is based on performance over the year he seems to have hit the mark.

So far in this fiscal year things continue to look good.

• Why can't you tune a fish

You know, you're all right. Since Bob just waltzed into the executive offices at Disney one day and they handed him $15 million, I say that's outrageous. After all, the only thing he did was graduate from college magna cum laude then spend the next 30 years working for the same company, taking the first 11 to learn the ropes of the TV industry where job security is mostly a rumor--and leapfrogging young execs with bigger degrees from fancier colleges along the way. Then he survived two changes in ownership and 5+ years working in the shadow of Michael Eisner, the most arrogant jerk corporate America ever produced. Then he took over a corporation that, although profitable, was in the throes of the worst PR disaster it had ever seen. All he did after that was mend fences left and right with people and companies his predecessor had alienated, restore respectability to the company and see it through its most financially successful year ever.

But wait. Tomorrowland still sucks. He doesn't deserve a penny.

Tell you what peeps, you put in the time and effort Bob Iger has, and in thirty years you can take your fat bonus and give it back to all the minimum wage earners who slave for you. I know you'll all be eager to do it seeing how selfless and idealistic you are.

As long as they don't pull an Enron and rape their employees, I don't begrudge any corporate executive for making the kind of money they make. We should all be so lucky.

Good for you Bob.

Thank you

I am currently trying and trying very hard to work my way to such a position. I'm not quite there yet but on the road so to speak. I have a taste of what people at levels 3 or 4 steps below the CEO do, and it amazes me.

The committment, time, and effort these people put into the business is amazing. Weekends - Hah, those are spent traveling, working, and meetings. The same goes for evenings and holidays.

Throw my hat in the "good for him" ring as well.

-dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12