Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Staggs as Number 2???

I really really really hope that the LA Times is wrong... Tom is a smart guy, but totally a suit that would gut the company. (I agree on the 2nd one - this is another example of Disney Internet Group completely wasting money to keep themselves relevant)

LA Times January 2, 2007. Every year they make Entertainment predictions - they had 2 for disney

Staggs for president. Walt Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger is in no hurry to name a president, but the board's incoming chairman makes succession an issue. Iger bypasses the higher-profile hotshot Anne Sweeney, who oversees the Disney Channel and ABC, in favor of Chief Financial Officer Tom Staggs, who is well liked on Wall Street.

A MySpace for kids. Walt Disney Co. launches a social networking site for children, hoping that tykes take to it as teens did to MySpace. But like its ToonTown multi-player game for kids, the initiative gets little traction. Toddlers drawn to Disney characters such as Winnie and Mickey do not spend their days at the keyboard.

• time to go

Re: Staggs as Number 2???

Quote Originally Posted by laman6 View Post
    I really really really hope that the LA Times is wrong... Tom is a smart guy, but totally a suit that would gut the company.
    I predicted this promotion over a year ago. (If it comes true, then someone owes me a bucketful of $$$. You know who you are. )

Here's what I see happening:

Tom Staggs is promoted to President --->

Jay Rasulo takes the CFO position from Staggs --->

Wing Chao is promoted to Chairman of Parks & Resorts.

Game. Set. Match.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Creative Director

^I'm wondering, is Jay Rasulo as CFO a good thing, or bad thing? With as poorly as he is doing with P&R, wouldn't it be better to just get rid of him completely?

Tom Staggs, a numbers guy, as #2? I don't expect the #2 person to be some sort of great creative, but I don't know, that doesn't give me a good feeling.

Wing Chao as Chairman of Parks & Resorts...I think I like...

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite View Post
    ^I'm wondering, is Jay Rasulo as CFO a good thing, or bad thing? With as poorly as he is doing with P&R, wouldn't it be better to just get rid of him completely?
    "ALL SIGNS POINT TO YES"

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite
    Tom Staggs, a numbers guy, as #2? I don't expect the #2 person to be some sort of great creative, but I don't know, that doesn't give me a good feeling.
    "REPLY HAZY TRY AGAIN"

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite
    Wing Chao as Chairman of Parks & Resorts...I think I like...
    "YOU MAY RELY ON IT"

• Banned User

Im rooting for Wing Chao and Tony Baxter!

After listening to Tom Staggs a couple of times, I have a lot of respect for him. He is very intelligent and very well liked. Even though his background is numbers, I think he has the potential to be a good president.

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. Although, to be honest, since he is such a good CFO, I would actually prefer to see him remain CFO. I doubt his career aspirations are limited to CFO though.

I agree that Tom does a very good job with presentation of numbers and the nuts and bolts - my concern is that he is all about that. The well liked part is a bit iffy - - due to his power he is "liked" but quite a few people find him a bit arrogant and cruel in internal meetings.

I guess the question comes is what is the right role for the #2 - bulldog or partner...

I am really really worried.. and the talk on the lot is many of the same concerns.. Remember Tom got his start for many,many years in the Strategic Planning group.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by laman6 View Post
    I guess the question comes is what is the right role for the #2 - bulldog or partner...
    I believe we already have that answer, at least historically:

Walt and Roy... Michael and Frank... Bob and {John}*

All three of those #2 execs (John's role is temporary and not quite the same, but close enough for this example) are/were good businessmen, good managers, and understood the needs of the creatives. For me, all three men exemplify the term, 'partner,' even though at times, their role forced them to play the 'bulldog.'

I believe your concerns stem from your view of Staggs as either a 'partner' or a 'bulldog.' Based on Staggs' employment history, I can fully understand your position.

Quote Originally Posted by laman6
    I am really really worried.. and the talk on the lot is many of the same concerns.. Remember Tom got his start for many,many years in the Strategic Planning group.
    WHOOP! THERE IT IS! Strat Planning rears its ugly head, once again.

Question: Has there EVER been anyone at Disney who rose up through the ranks from early beginnings at Strat Planning, to become both a popular and effective executive for the company?

I honestly cannot think of a single person who fits this description.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Im rooting for Wing Chao and Tony Baxter!
    I'm assuming you meant Wing Chao for Chairman of Parks and Resorts.

What, exactly, do you want Tony to do?

Replace Tom Fitzgerald or Don Goodman?

You so funny!

Question: Has there EVER been anyone at Disney who rose up through the ranks from early beginnings at Strat Planning, to become both a popular and effective executive for the company?

I can not think of one. The problem is not the people it is that Strat Planning is so far removed from both the consumer and the product that they work their way up the ladder without ever knowing exactly what the product is. They are numbers driven - again not bad people - just a bad education of Disney

Sad Re: Staggs as Number 2???

The problem, maybe, with the pairings (Walt & Roy, Michael & Frank) is that Bob is not creative so doesn't need a Roy or a Frank... nor does the company appear to need yet more strat planning alumni in charge but its going to get it unless Lasseter (or someone else) brings a creative alternative approach...

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49931 - which is why maybe it is worth keeping an eye on what really happens with strat planning... its people and practises...
    Last edited by 100days; 01-15-2007 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Added link.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 100days View Post
    The problem, maybe, with the pairings (Walt & Roy, Michael & Frank) is that Bob is not creative so doesn't need a Roy or a Frank...
    I don't know.. I am not certain it is that Bob is not creative more than he does not have feels that he doesn't have any apparent tallent to excercise that creativity...

Uh, sorry about that Bob... If you are reading this...

I am thinking about the story of how he began with ABC, where he was a weatherman and kept dropping the sticky weather VA's... Back in the day when they don't do it digitally, but it was a board...

I was hoping Dick Cook would get the number 2 position. Just my opinion.
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

my nominations for disney president: Roy Disney, Dianne (Disney) Miller, Ron Miller

• Banned User

Jay Rasulo would make a mess as CFO. Look how he foolishly poured millions of dollars into a marketing campaign just to try and cover his behind. He has arranged a disasterous management system that wreaks of incompetence and has only showed us that he is a selfish president who is only looking to up his place in the company. It would be a massive mistake to place him as CFO or any other Disney head; a smart choice to throw him out.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    Jay Rasulo would make a mess as CFO. Look how he foolishly poured millions of dollars into a marketing campaign just to try and cover his behind. He has arranged a disasterous management system that wreaks of incompetence and has only showed us that he is a selfish president who is only looking to up his place in the company. It would be a massive mistake to place him as CFO or any other Disney head; a smart choice to throw him out.
    Staggs could be president and CFO - I am suttering thinking about it...

I still think Dick Cook would make a better COO than Staggs. I don't exactly see CFO to COO as a promotion from a purely organizational stand point.
    Check out my other blog:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast