Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: What Are Your Thoughts About Going To The Movies?

I just thought I'd start a thread where we could share some thoughts about the general movie-going experience. Some questions I thought we might toss around...

Do you go to see first-run movies in theaters (or is it theatres) as much you as you used to?
    Not as much, when there is a good movie and I can find the time and someone to go with me, then sure. If I have the time and feel like shopping before or after, i'll go to the cheap theaters in one of the nearby half-empty malls, it's $1.50 on tuesdays, so why not.

Do you find yourself saying "I'll wait til the DVD comes out" for most films?
    Not too often, but sometimes.

I've always heard that Hollywood's prime demo for movies are teenagers and young adults. Do you think that's true?
    It depends, I think on what generation, but now a days, it sure seems that way.

Do you miss drive-in movies? (At least here in Southern California they are all but extinct - only a few remain).
    I only remember going to one drive-in in my life. Here in Cincinnati there are 2. One in a REALLY bad area and one on my way to school, but it's closing.

What is your favorite time to go to the movies?
    Early on a friday or a sunday. I have learned never to go at night, too many rowdy teens.

With the high ticket prices and all, do you still buy popcorn and concessions at the theater?
    Depends on who i'm with. If it's me and my friends, we never buy popcorn and drinks, but we'll sneak in some candy we bought at the store on the way to the movies. If i'm with my mom and she's willing to pay for the popcorn and such, then who am I to argue?
    If I go to the cheap theaters, then I might get a small popcorn since it's like $1.50.

I haven't been to the movies in awhile because there's either nothing worth going to see (and paying the $6.75), I don't have the time or none of my friends want to see it.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I only go see blockbusters or the latest Disney/Pixar/sometimes Dreamsworks picture. Last picture I saw was Dreamgirls. I would like to see Miss Potter but it is not playing anywhere near me.

Mostly daytime bargain price. The price varies on the theater. Some start their senior price at 55, one is 60 and the other 65. Can we please get a fixed senior age for pricing? The closest theater to me is $7.50, one is $8.00 but senior (55, and I qualify) is $7. I am a teacher's aide and so on my birthday, at Christmas, teacher appreciation day, and last day of school I am fortunate enough to get gift certificates that usually take care of my movie needs.

My closest theater has a huge screen but sometimes the film they choose to show is "what were they thinking???" kind of movie. I am also getting more and more disenchanted with them. Theater is getting run down, only one person manning the box office and a long line, problems with projection and/or sound, etc.

More and more on non blockbusters I wait for the DVD to come out.

Never was a big drive in movie fan.

Concession stand. Only if there is a coupon in a gift certificate packet. One theater not too far from me (the one with the good senior price) lets you bring in your own drinks and food.

One time I went to a movie at the theater at Universal City Walk. Never again. The theater was dirty and the patrons were rude. Talked or cell phone ringing all the time. At least here in my area (Long Beach/Lakewood) that isn't an issue, yet.

I really like the theater in Downtown Disney. Clean, well staffed and nice big screens and auditoriums.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I rarely go to the movies. It is too expensive and there are no good movies being released most of the time. Last time I went was for Pirates 2. I just wait for everything to come out on PPV. Those cost about $4. Sometimes I just buy the movies on DVD even if I did not see them beforehand.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Wow. I guess I would ask what your definition of a good film is.

I've seen several really great movies in the past few weeks. Bobby. The Queen. The Good Shepard. I'm planning on Dreamgirls today.

There are certain times of the year when good movie releases seem lacking - I'm usually happily suprised by how many great movies are available.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper View Post

1. Can you please explain to me why it costs so much to see a movie?

I think everything has just gotten more expensive over the years so the movie industry is just doing the same since they can get away with it.

2. What about an Annual Pass for the movies? If it works at Disneyland why not at AMC? I'd be much more apt to buy snacks if all I have to do is walk in a show a card to see a movie. 100 dollars a year sounds appropriate.

I like your idea. But they'd lose money on me and my family since we go to A LOT of movies...more than $100 woth each I'm sure. And I'm sure they 'd lose money on other people as well. One nice thing is that our Santa Cruz theater has a Regal card you can get that saves you money at the snack bar since that sometimes adds up to almost as much as the tickets!

3. If you're not going to lower the prices at least sweeten the deal. Bring back before-feature cartoons. [/B]
    Again I like your idea. The cartoons were always great! I'd love it if we could also wear pj's and take pillows and blankets to the indoor theaters as well as the drive ins!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Wow. I guess I would ask what your definition of a good film is.

I've seen several really great movies in the past few weeks. Bobby. The Queen. The Good Shepard. I'm planning on Dreamgirls today.

There are certain times of the year when good movie releases seem lacking - I'm usually happily suprised by how many great movies are available.
    ^I'm not much into films about politics and government stuff .

I do like really good Scary movies though. But I think Hollywood is lacking in those big time. All they do most of the time is release gore films and label them as "Scary." The last good scary film I saw in theatre's was "The Exorcism of Emily Rose."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

I do like really good Scary movies though. But I think Hollywood is lacking in those big time. All they do most of the time is release gore films and label them as "Scary." The last good scary film I saw in theatre's was "The Exorcism of Emily Rose."
    offtopic, sorry

if you like "scary" films, check out The Descent, i was amazed by it
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    I just thought I'd start a thread where we could share some thoughts about the general movie-going experience. Some questions I thought we might toss around...
    Great topic!

Do you go to see first-run movies in theaters (or is it theatres) as much you as you used to?
    Not usually. The price of the theatre sickens me now. ($10+) Only for films that really spark me will we go see in the theatre.. and these are ones that I'm anticipating. Things like StarWars, LoTR, Matrix.. but I did go see Cars last year

I have a few friends that probably still see 2 or more movies a month, but the theater experience has not improved itself, where the alternatives have.

With everyone with big screens, surround sound at home.. DVDs coming out just a few months after the theatre.. why goto the theater where its crowded, you must wait around, you must deal with masses of unruly teens, and overpay for poor selection? At today's prices, you can't just go on a whim.. especially for a family. Taking 5 people to the theater costs like $80!

If the theater world would return to trying to innovate.. we'd come. Back about 10-15 years ago when the new theaters kept trying to improve.. stadium seating.. bigger chairs.. drink holders.. food selection.. advanced sound systems we seeked those theaters out. When StarWars came out digital.. we drove further to goto a screen that had the digital projectors. Now, we do have the nicer seats, and better seating arrangements still.. but any chance of food selection is out the door. Every theater around here has the typical candy, soda, nachos, and popcorn.. nothing else. Only variety I have seen is the 'bulk food' candy selection. No where to be found are the places with hot food choices, lots of selection, etc.

For the most part... but I've slowed down buying DVDs anymore as well. Too many other forms of entertainment around now I think.

I've always heard that Hollywood's prime demo for movies are teenagers and young adults. Do you think that's true?
    Yes, because those are the ones who spend money in that fashion. They are the ones looking to go out every weekend.. and will go.. just to go. While not every movie is targeted at that audience.. they know movies targeted at that demo will float the rest of their films. Bad Boys II may not win oscars.. but it will provide the profits to make those other films

Do you miss drive-in movies? (At least here in Southern California they are all but extinct - only a few remain).
    At my age, we only had them when I was very young. I remember watching them through the sun roof of my father's car. But we had the crappy AM broadcasting one where the audio was always bad. I never had the opportunity to go as a teen, so I missed that age.

Saturday afternoon.. when I take the kids. They really do enjoy going to see movies at the theater. When I go with friends.. its usually happy hour at the bar and then the 8 or 9pm film

Here, they've pinched the matinee times too.. now evening rates start at 4pm, so only the 11 or 1pm times are discount.. and the discounts have been cut back too. Its 8-9 for a matinee now too!

With the high ticket prices and all, do you still buy popcorn and concessions at the theater?
    Yes, but if they actually made the choices desirable.. I think more people would go to the theater. I don't bother with sneaking everything in.. though when I was younger we would for candy.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    "When is the discount matinee?"
    If you want to call $5.50 or 6.50 a "bargain", usually for shows before 6pm on weekdays, and the first show weekends, a "bargain"...

To answer Karla's question, I'd bet that the national average for a prime-time movie ticket is about $9.00...a lot more than that in theaters in large cities many times.

--Barry

By the way, I love as I said going to a 10pm Thursday show when I'm the only one there. They have all these screens with late showings and there will be more employees the moviegoers. How do they make money doing that?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Nope. I'm lucky if I go to the theatre more than 2-3 times a year. I am very very VERY picky about what I want to see.

Yep. And even then it'll take me forever to rent it or I just wait for it to come on TV (like I did last week with Spider-Man 2).

Sometimes. But then you get the heavy dramas and films that make you think, which are more geared towards adults.

I don't really remember going to the drive-in that often when I was a kid. I know we went a few times but mostly my mom would take me a normal movie theatre.

Matinees when they're cheaper... or late shows so there won't be many little kids running around.

Sometimes. Depends on if I have the extra cash. Also depends on what theatre I go to (I'm picky).

• Directly directed

I love going to the movies! I'll watch just about anything except horror and extreme blood and guts. I hate to go by myself though, so if no one wants to go with me I'll wait for DVD. I soooo miss the Drive-ins. They were so awesome. First drive in movie I saw was the Rocketeer. Which I didn't like. And yes, I know I'm alone in my thinking. I love to go to the movies on opening weekends when it's all crowded and everyones all hyped up about seeing the movie, with the exception of children's movies. I take my 4 yr old neice when they're on there way out because she talks alot. I buy popcorn most of the time because popcorn is my favorite snack. But the soda and candy just doesn't seem worth it. I always bring in a water. You know, to off set the calories in the popcorn

• Do you have a 27B/6?

My husband and I go to movies all the time- we've been twice this weekend. We actually met, working at a movie theatre. It's kind of a thing for us.
    If I don't want to make the effort to see it at the theatre, the odds are I'm not even interested enough to rent the DVD.
    I don't think so? Look at the Oscars. You never see nominations for "Yet Another Teen Movie."
    We're lucky enough to have a few in Illinois within driving distance, but I hate to burst everyone's bubbles- if it's warm enough to go to the drive-in, it's warm enough for mosquitoes. I'll take air-conditioning over itchiness any day.
    I'm not actually that organized. I'm usually lucky if I make the evening show.
    I'll admit- I'm a candy sneak. But if the movie is an "event," I'll probably spring for popcorn.
    However- word, BD Bopper. If you're going to charge me an arm and a leg, please spare me the commercials.

My second favorite part of going to the theater, however, is the previews.
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliophile View Post
    I don't think so? Look at the Oscars. You never see nominations for "Yet Another Teen Movie."
    Nor does McDonalds ever win any restaurant review praise.. yet they are the the most common food place around. There is 'favorites' and then there is 'business'. While the teen flicks may not be artistically appraised.. they make money and a lot of it.

• Minion

I like going to the movies. But I dont enjoy watching movies as much here at home. Too many distractions, i have 2 brothers who like to scream..ect..

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliophile View Post
    However- word, BD Bopper. If you're going to charge me an arm and a leg, please spare me the commercials.

My second favorite part of going to the theater, however, is the previews.
    I hate the theater commercials too. And, off topic, I also have never really appreciated the all-out assault of advertising of all different kinds that I am exposed to as a captive paying fan in sports arenas and stadiums as well.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast