Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: What Are Your Thoughts About Going To The Movies?

I do not go to movies in the theatre period. Being a single mom I don't get much "me" time and would have to bring along the 2 year old and he is NOT good for sitting at a 2 1/2 hour movie. However, we did see Charlotte's Web a couple of weeks ago and he made it just about all the way through. But it was getting touchy towards the end.

I wished I could go more.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Great topic Barry!

Do you go to see first-run movies in theaters (or is it theatres) as much you as you used to?
    NO! It is just way too costly to go as much as I used to. I'll go for the big ones on the first night when I know it will be a geektastic experience- Star Wars, LOTR, Harry Potter, etc.

Do you find yourself saying "I'll wait til the DVD comes out" for most films?
    YES! I say this with 99% of movies now. Even ones that I'm looking forward to get pushed until the DVD comes out. (And even then I wait to see if they go in the Pre-viewed bin at Blockbuster before I buy!)

Do you miss drive-in movies? (At least here in Southern California they are all but extinct - only a few remain).
    Ahh, yes. The old Highway 39 was the one we used to go to most. Now it's a Wal-Mart.

What is your favorite time to go to the movies?
    Opening night!

With the high ticket prices and all, do you still buy popcorn and concessions at the theater?
    Yes. Since we don't go very often, I'll get a popcorn and soda.
    <o>

• Minion

Interesting topic...

I rarely go to movies anymore, the benefits of Netflix.

In fact, my sister came up for a visit today. She left the baby with daddy and came over for a belated birthday celebration for me.

She offered to treat me to a movie, but there was nothing we could find worth seeing, so we did a long lunch and watched some DVD's.

I think movie theaters are gonna have to adapt to the DVD/Netflix world or find themselves in deep trouble.
    “Any sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, that’s when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I spent a lot of time growing up in Southern California drive-ins, including the Highway 39, and in later years the 101 in Ventura which was earlier referenced here (they were last open for movies in the summer of 1998 I believe) and a few years ago that land was made into yet another strip mall with Kohl's, Barnes and Noble, Applebees, the usual chain stuff.

Here's one of my favorite websites with pictures of those old D/I's and many more...

http://mysite.verizon.net/res8ibgr/socaldriveins/

Enjoy.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Senior Minion

I enjoy going to the movies every once in a while, but only if they catch my attention. Most times though it seems when you go to the movies you have to pick which one sucks the least, and I don't like that.

Personally my movie going habits are to go early in the day when there aren't so many folks around, plus you get a cheaper price too. I also tend to go when a movie has been out for a few weeks because I hate crowded theaters.

Also I don't eat at the movies at all. I feel it ruins the mood, plus I don't want to have the situation where my bladder is full and I have to go the bathroom ... but I don't want to because I paid too much to see this movie and I will not miss a thing nor pay to see it again. I just go eat at nearby restaurants after the movie so I get a good meal and don't stuff myself with the junk they sell ... because come on ... who wants that oily looking stuff they call "butter flavoring" (it's not even real butter).

At the moment the movies on my list are "Venus", "Notes On A Scandal", and "Curse Of The Golden Flower".

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I absolutely love going to the movies. There WAS a time (believe it or not) where I would see one movie a week! Of course that's usually what I do every summer at least. But even during other parts of the year, I would try my best to see at least one or two in the theater per month.

But even that has slowed. My work has a tiny theater that shows a relatively new movie once a week and is free to all employees. So I do that and it's saved me a TON of money.

I also often get screener copies sometimes and I watch them all too (yep, especially the bad ones). I feel like if I haven't seen a new movie, I don't know what's out there.

So because of these two options, I haven't been to the theater in a long time and I do miss it. There's a special feeling about seeing the movies. Well.. if you don't have a rude audience anyway.

I find myself buying fewer DVDs now than ever before. For instance.. I used to buy every season of Simpsons on DVD but I think I stopped at 7 or 8 after realizing that they're on their 18th season or something like that?? That's a LOT of shelf space and that's a lot of dough. Not to mention the hours required to even WATCH it all. Would I ever be able to watch them more than once???

I only buy the absolute essential films now and ones that I enjoy showing other people. IRON GIANT for example... watched that 15 times the month it came out on DVD because I forced everyone i knew to sit down and watch it. And when I force someone to watch something, I watch it with them. It's like going to Disneyland with someone whos' never gone.

I do miss the concept of drive-in movie theaters, but now everywhere I go, it feels like a drive-in movie FREEWAY. Sheesh! Every car has a little screen now. I miss the good old days when people DROVE when they were driving and watched movies when the were watching movies!

And I only buy a medium diet coke at the movies if I'm thirsty enough.

I wish the AMC at downtown disney played old disney cartoons before the movie starts.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Any and all thoughts most appreciated.

--Barry
    I miss going to movies and having a cartoon before the film starts!
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Still lost in Neverland

I find myself going less often for many reasons.

#1 The COST!!!
    #2 The Commercials that I can turn off on TV but not at the Theater!
    #3 The cell phones, talking and general rudeness of other people in the theater.

I will never go to a new movie during the first week because of the crowds. I only watch movies that are Animated Features, science fiction, fantasy or something with historical value like "The Queen". I have enough problems in the real world without having to pay $10 to see a sappy love story that has already been done a hundred time, or a comedy about next door neighbor problems (I have enough of those thank you), or pretty much any other type of movie.

Sci Fi and Fantasy take me somewhere I can't go in real life and I grew up with them. The very first movie I ever saw in a theater was in the early 1940's when my dad too me to downtown LA to one of the huge movie palaces they used to have, and we saw Fantasia. My love of classical music, animation and Mickey Mouse started that day when I was 5 years old and hasn't stopped since. I can't listen to Beethoven's 6th without imagining the Unicorns, Pegasus's, and fawns. Same with the Sorcerers Apprentice all I see in my mind's eye is Mickey Mouse in that role.

Even for some of the movies I would like to see in the theaters, I will not go to any show that isn't playing in a Stadium Seating type theater nor will I go to a matinée unless the movie has been playing for awhile and school is in session so the theater won't be filled with screaming, running kids. I love the Archlight Black Box Theaters for that reason alone. No kids, no cell phones, and a top notch showing. It's worth the extra money.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Princess Mouse Ears

Smile Re: What Are Your Thoughts About Going To The Movies?

Do you go to see first-run movies in theaters (or is it theatres) as much you as you used to?

Not as much, I am a lot choosier now then I used to be, now it has to be something that both my bf and I want to see.

Do you find yourself saying "I'll wait til the DVD comes out" for most films?

Usually, I go to Hollywood Video a lot...

I've always heard that Hollywood's prime demo for movies are teenagers and young adults. Do you think that's true?

I don't think so, I think they try to make movies that will appeal to a large majority. I am only 24, and I will usually choose a movie that is "more grown up" than your average teenage flick. I think they definetely have a demo. for chick flicks, sports movies, family movies, gross out movies, etc.

Do you miss drive-in movies? (At least here in Southern California they are all but extinct - only a few remain).

We still go to the one in Rubidoux. $6 gets you two new movies, we went on Saturday and saw Pursuit of Happiness and We Are Marshall I think the good value encourages us to see movies that we wouldn't otherwise watch. I wouldn't have gone out of my way to see We Are Marshall but was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it.

What is your favorite time to go to the movies?

We go to the drive in quite a bit so I would have to say weekend nights or early afternoon if we go to a cineplex.

With the high ticket prices and all, do you still buy popcorn and concessions at the theater?
    Sometimes, I have a hard time buying a $4 bottle of dasani water. Usually if I do, I buy a large popcorn and drink and share with whoever I am with because they refill the large size for free.
    So many mouse ears, so little time...

• Clearing my Calendar

Great thread Barry!

Bryan and I go to the theater only for the ones we absolutely can't wait for. Generally speaking these are films like Harry Potter, POTC, and anything of great interest. We'll be seeing Spiderman in theaters for example.

Generally if it's a good looking historical/epic type thing we'll go see it, too. And at the rate he's going, if Gibson's directing we're "so there".

Everything else we basically wait for On Demand. And if we miss it then, then we kind of consider it as: "Well, we obviously didn't want to see it anyway." So we let it pass by. Unless someone else is wanting to rent.

We usually go for matinees unless it's a BIG movie, then we'll midnight premiere and spend top dollar to be able to as well. I'll usually get a water at the concession stand, too, just because I can't go that long without something to drink. If it's a "family" or "kid" type movie, then we'll pay to go to the latest showing possible (and I'll leave that at that).

When we do go to the theater, we make it a dinner and a movie type thing too. Usually we eat afterward so we can discuss the film and, usually, the film gives us ideas as to what to eat (in case you haven't noticed, we're big "theme" eaters!).

I'm sad to say I've never been to a drive-in. There's one where my parents grew up that's still in operation (Huntsville County, TN) and there was one in Vegas we always thought about going to but never got around to.
    Last edited by TraceCub; 01-17-2007 at 12:05 PM.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Clearing my Calendar

I also wanted to elaborate on a few points that I saw while I read the rest of the thread:

I love the experience of going to the theater! The closest thing that comes to the same experience for me is going to the Strip in Vegas and walking around. It's something to *do*. We have a great theater at the Mall of Georgia here. It's definitely my favorite to go to. I get to people watch at the mall AND see a movie AND have dinner? Awesome!

Unlike everyone else, so it seems, I love the advertisements and previews that come before the movie. Because we're generally only going to the theater once every month or so it helps me catch up as to what's going on in the industry and lets me know about things that I haven't picked up on from here or mugglenet. I love previews, too. Sometimes, I like them more than the movie itself!

As far as the industry marketing toward teens and such, I have an interesting story. Bryan and I have an age difference of 11 years and now that I'm nearly 23, I thought that all the awkward stuff that comes with that type of age difference was behind us (besides the whole renting a car thing). So we went to the movies a few weeks ago and this teen picks me out of the crowd (not my husband) and asks if we'd like to participate in a movie survey.

I've done this before, so I didn't even think there'd be a problem. So we agree. They lead us over to the main guy and he asks how old we are. Bryan responds that he's 33 and the guy circles the appropriate marker and tells the guy in their little code "have him watch x93vj". So they leave. He asks how old I am and I tell him. His response?

"Oh, you're way too young. Our breakoff is 25."

So I was a little miffed, and hurt that they had singled ME out and that I have done this exact thing before, so I stew over it while Bryan's watching the preview they designated. When he comes back I said, "That better have been the best darn preview you've ever seen!"

What was it? Some Tim Allen/John Travolta mid-life crisis movie.

Weird huh?
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I love going to the movies. It's still an event for me. I guess because we didn't go to movies alot when I was kid...it was a special thing, and still is now. Although, I have to REALLY want to see something to go to the movies...or it has to be a kid movie that we think the daughter will like. We usually save going to see our movies until she spends a weekend with the grandparents.

First-runs: Not as much as I used to due to a combination of really high prices, sucky movies, and a severe lack of time during the school session. Add rude people to the mix and what's the point of trying? Somebody else said their theater was uncomfortable, and that's not true here (we have a great theater- stadium seating, cup holders, reclining seats, and arm rests that raise up). I still don't care to go all that often though I'm probably going to try to see the "Curse of the Golden (something)" that's out now.

I do see some films on DVD though we're back to that lack of time and sucky movie thing.

Hollywood aims at what will sell, and what will sell lately is pretty pathetic in my book. Gore, stupidity, or remakes. Bleh.

On the one hand I miss drive-ins (had great fun as a kid) but on the other hand, I still don't want to see so many of the movies produced and I still don't have time. I miss the concept more than the actual experience at the moment. If I had more time I think I would miss them more.

My favorite time for the movies- probably during the day. Nobody's there.

Popcorn and soda? Every time. Sometimes we bring candy in from outside as I can be a little picky, but always popcorn and soda.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

My favorite time for the movies- probably during the day. Nobody's there
    me too. I love going during the day when I go by myself. More quiet, less people. You can sit anywhere you want. I usually show up early and people watch when people come into the theater.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I don't like it when the theater is empty (kinda erie-creepy) but I do like it not crowded so you can sit where you want. Stadium seating is such a god send.. but nothing is worse then the theaters with the tinnnnyyyy screens. Gotta have full wide-screen immersion

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123