Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

What Are Your Thoughts About Going To The Movies?

I just thought I'd start a thread where we could share some thoughts about the general movie-going experience. Some questions I thought we might toss around...

Do you go to see first-run movies in theaters (or is it theatres) as much you as you used to?

Do you find yourself saying "I'll wait til the DVD comes out" for most films?

I've always heard that Hollywood's prime demo for movies are teenagers and young adults. Do you think that's true?

Do you miss drive-in movies? (At least here in Southern California they are all but extinct - only a few remain).

What is your favorite time to go to the movies?

With the high ticket prices and all, do you still buy popcorn and concessions at the theater?

These are all the ones I can think of right now. But I'm sure we'll come up with more.

As for me. movie going has all but priced itself out of my market unless I can make it to a matinee. There are very few films anymore that I cannot wait for rental. I do think that most of the new first-run films are aimed to the younger market, often times in ways I don't relate as much to.

I miss drive-ins...I practically grew up in them...my folks would take me once or twice a week in the 60's...and then later on...ahem..

If I go to movies now, I usually try to make the "bargain" matinee, or go to a weeknight 10pm show...when I am often the only person in the theater (when Kathleen can come, we're the only two people!)

Any and all thoughts most appreciated.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Senior Minion

Re: What Are Your Thoughts About Going To The Movies?

Do you go to see first-run movies in theaters (or is it theatres) as much you as you used to?
    Only if it is so big like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, or soemthing that really stands out and doesn't have the same basic formula.

Lately there have been alot of those thoughts. The movie companies have not produced things that interest us that much to warrant spending 6 bucks for a matinee. Netflix here we come.

Do you miss drive-in movies? (At least here in Southern California they are all but extinct - only a few remain).
    I totally miss Drive-ins. The cool thing is for 10.00 bucks a carload in Ceres, Ca. you can see two newly released movies back- to-back. And it is a nice place surprisingly.

Middle of the week(Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Sunday afternoons. Tonight was a rare exception.We went because our Galaxy Theater finally had it.

With the high ticket prices and all, do you still buy popcorn and concessions at the theater?
    Sometimes. Not always.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

still do, but generally not as much as we did say, 10 years ago

if its something that doesn't look like it needs to be seen on a big screen, then we'll wait until it comes out on DVD, we have a big tv at home to watch things on, but some movies (mostly summer special fx bonanzas and things like PotC, Harry Potter..etc) need that movie theater experience

I've always heard that Hollywood's prime demo for movies are teenagers and young adults. Do you think that's true?
    i dunno if its just the theater we go to most here in Reno (The Riverside) or what, but we see a majority of film goers as being 40+, unless its a kids movie such as Happy Feet or something like that

When my husband and i started dating i owed a 1973 Volvo station wagon, we used to love to take it to the 101 Drive In in Ventura, park it backwards and lay down in the back with a pizza and some popcorn. I do miss that, but we obviously don't' miss it enough because we have yet to be to the drive in that's still open here in Reno

Time of day? Matinees during the week, so we have the theater mostly to ourselves. Time of year? Winter and Summer, to help beat the freezing cold and the blistering heat respectively

well, matinées here aren't expensive. 5.25 a person so we usually split a large soda and always get a big popcorn to share, a lot of the time even if we don't' get the one with the free refills the people at the concession counter refill the bag when i take it up to get more butter..because i like my popcorn to be a buttery gooey mess!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Circle of Ancients

Not at all as much as we used to. MAYBE 6 or 8 movies a year. Mostly "Event" movies (Star Wars, LOTR, Spiderman's, Pirates) or "Family" movies (Pixar, Shrek, etc)

With the gap from Theatre to DVD only 1 to 3 months now, it makes it MUCH easier to say that.

Yes and no. Certain movies, absolutely. But I also think it has something to do with the fact that Hollywood suddenly wants us to "Learn" something from our moviegoing experience. Why? So it's most of those type movies that we see on DVD.

Without a doubt miss the drive-in. We would go weekly.

We ALWAYS go to the first show on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Plus in Camarillo, not busy.

Sometimes. But going to the first show we have usually just have bfast, so we don't typically.

• my two sunshines

Red Face Re: What Are Your Thoughts About Going To The Movies?

Well I couldn't 'multi quote' the message for some reason so here it goes:

I'm like others I like to go to the movies for the big screeners - HP or POTC - I'm in the minority I didn't go see LOTR in the movies cause I really wasn't into it so I watched them at home and ended up loving them.

Where I used to live there was only one 6 screen movie theatre and they played to the teens and the area we were in so no movies like Bobby or the Queen - which are the movies I like to see - they played kid/horror/and southern movies so I didn't go to the movies that much but my kids did when they could get there, it was about an hour away

NOW we have a 20 screen theatre 2 min away so we saw Night in the Museum I think the 2nd day we were here - and the kids have been to a few movies - it's cheaper here but the snack bar Whoo wee! you need money!!!

I do miss drive in's - my kids never got to experience it, I still remember the nights we went as a family in the station wagon - going to the snack bar in your PJ's - We only went once as teens, they were phasing them out at that point.

I always buy from the snack bar - it pays for the theatre's upkeep, movies they get etc. I usually get a popcorn and water, kids will always get a slurpee, maybe a candy or a hot dog.

I will usually wait for the DVD or even the pay movie channel or HBO/Starz something like that. There has been nothing I HAVE to see - I will go to HP (tho my daughter will go to the midnight show, probably with wand in hand - hiding it LOL) and I will go to POTC - but I never feel like I have to see something - but then I don't have a partner to see any movies with - IF I met someone than maybe I'd go to the 'big' movies more

• Inappropriate

I'm just going to skip to the snack bar question. I sneak my own candy in i got at the dollar store on my way to the theater Yeah i'm probably goig to hell, but my choice is: Do i want a movie sized box of Dots for $3.25, or do i want the exact same box of Dots for $1? Seriously, same box, they never know.

bwahaha

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• no flash photography...

I rarely go to the movies. The last two movies I went to was cars and national treasure. I don't rent dvd's either. If I happen to catch them on cable I do. I guess I'm not a big movie fan...

• Banned User

no, in fact I have not been to a movie theater in 12 years

I do,

not sure,

No we have a drive in, I go to them 2 or 3 times in the summer.

drive inn during the summer

I do at the drive inn

As for me. movie going has all but priced itself out of my market unless I can make it to a matinee. There are very few films anymore that I cannot wait for rental. I do think that most of the new first-run films are aimed to the younger market, often times in ways I don't relate as much to.

Movies here cost 7:50 are they more else where in the nation?? one theater in anaconda 30 miles away has the for $4.00

I miss drive-ins...I practically grew up in them...my folks would take me once or twice a week in the 60's...and then later on...ahem..

I am so glad we still have our drive inn, its about 13 miles out of town... in the country no less.

If I go to movies now, I usually try to make the "bargain" matinee, or go to a weeknight 10pm show...when I am often the only person in the theater (when Kathleen can come, we're the only two people!)

what is the price of a bargin movie? here a matinee is $5.50

Any and all thoughts most appreciated.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

With the advent of DVDs, I think the movie experience we used to have to have is gone. If a movie is meant to be seen on a big screen, I will make it a point to see it. The smaller romantic ones that I like, I usually wait for the DVD because I want to see the extras. Since we have kids, my husband and I don't see as many movies as we used to. There is a theater near by that starts movies early on Fridays, so we try to go there every week if we can. I do see quite a bit of animated movies with my boys, so the fun of going to the movies is still there. We always get the popcorn and the drinks (refillable where I live) but we bring in the candy. If it is just my husband and I, we stop and get a sandwich from Subway and bring that in.

I recently joined NetFlix because there are so many movies produced each year that I can never watch them all. When my kids are at school, and I'm not needed at work, I watch a movie. It is part of who I am. I love movies, at home or at the theater.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    I'm just going to skip to the snack bar question. I sneak my own candy in i got at the dollar store on my way to the theater Yeah i'm probably goig to hell, but my choice is: Do i want a movie sized box of Dots for $3.25, or do i want the exact same box of Dots for $1? Seriously, same box, they never know.

bwahaha
    yep...I'm with you on that one. I have even brought my own soda and water in before. That was years ago though, but I still don't liek paying 3 times the cost for something especially when the soda is always flat and watered down.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

I go to the movie all the time. It's a huge chunk of my entertainment budget.
    I love the experience. I love getting my movie treats, settling into my seat, having the lights dimmed and then being completely immersed in the experience.
    I can do that at the theater. I can't do that at home. I tend to be distracted by the pets, the phone, something that I remember needs to be done and so forth.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

I only really get to go to the movies if Im seeing a movie with my kids.
    Im ok with going to the movies on my own though too.

I dont really like going when a movie is brand new, because I dont like sitting in crowded theaters. I like being able tobe away from people when trying to watch a movie.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Here's some of my thoughts about the movie going experience.

1. Can you please explain to me why it costs so much to see a movie? I can understand the 9 bucks without all the ads, but why do you make me sit through nearly an hour of commercials and then the movie and it still costs me 9 bucks? I am more than willing to sit through tons of advertisements if you give me a break on the price.

2. What about an Annual Pass for the movies? If it works at Disneyland why not at AMC? I'd be much more apt to buy snacks if all I have to do is walk in a show a card to see a movie. 100 dollars a year sounds appropriate. You're losing the entertainment battle with DVD's and the Internet. I am sure more people would pack the theatre and not wait for DVD, or (gasp!) download the movies illegally if there was an opportunity like this.

3. If you're not going to lower the prices at least sweeten the deal. Bring back before-feature cartoons. It's very difficult these days to see classic animation (and quite expensive). I'm willing to pay 9 bucks for a movie if you're going to show some classic animation before the feature presentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Minion

"When is the discount matinee?"

• Winter in Oceanside...

We only go to the movies 3-4 times a year, and they are usually the Big Production type movies (Pirates comes to mind), though we did just go see The Queen.

We only go to matinees and even then the last movie we saw was $14.00 for the two of us. Since we only go rarely, we always get snacks at the snack bar. It has become quite an outing to go to the movies.

Combine the price with the fact that movies come out on DVD SO quickly, and that we have the whole Home Theater set up in our house, why should we go to the movies? We have never been big on needing to see a movie the day/weekend that it comes out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast