Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'The Amazing Race All-Stars'

And they're off! Producers chose the all-stars returning to The Amazing Race from more than 200 former contestants. Seven of the show's 10 seasons are represented. Back: Eric and Danielle, left, Oswald and Danny, Uchenna and Joyce, and Drew and Kevin. Middle: Bill and Joe, left, Teri and Ian, David and Mary, and John and Jill. Front: Dustin and Kandice, left, Charla and Mirna, and Amber and Rob.

By Gary Levin
    USA TODAY
    January 16, 2007

The Amazing Race is back with its first all-star edition as 11 teams of competitors go on their second world trek.

CBS' three-time Emmy winner returns Feb. 18 (Sundays, 8 ET/PT) with teams from seven of its 10 seasons, to be unveiled today. From among the 200 or so previous contestants, "it was very hard to pick favorites," executive producer Bertram Van Munster says. Producers chose partly "in terms of where their life went" since they left the show. "They're not necessarily the winners, but character-wise, they're all-stars in our book."

Only one team Uchenna and Joyce Agu was a past winner, in Season 7. But others are standouts: height-challenged Charla Faddoul and cousin Mirna Hindoyan; Joe Baldassare and Bill Bartek (the first season's "team Guido"); Rob and Amber Mariano, who parlayed their Survivor stint into marriage and reality-TV careers; and Kevin O'Connor and Drew Feinberg, amiable, bald best friends from Season 1. Also repeating the Race are two teams from the latest season: coal miner David Conley and wife Mary, and beauty queens Dustin Seltzer and Kandice Pelletier.

Also in the hunt: Eric Sanchez and Danielle Turner, who competed on separate teams in Season 9 but later became a couple; Oswald Mendez and Danny Jimenez (Season 2's "Team Cha-Cha-Cha"); John Pietanza and Jill Aquilino, a now-split couple from Season 3; and Teri and Ian Pollack, the oldest couple to finish as runners-up (she's now 53, he's 54), also in Season 3.

How did Race challenge contestants who knew the drill? "We had to throw them curveball after curveball, because they all thought they knew what we were doing again," Van Munster says. So the 45,000-mile, 28-day race, which ended Dec. 19, sent them "from extreme cold to extreme heat," a desert in northern Chile to "borderline South Pole" in Antarctica.
    Van Munster says he and co-creator Elise Doganieri had "reservations" about an all-star edition, but he's happy with the results.

"There is a lot of friction right off the bat" between teams, he says. "I'm confident we laid something on the table that will be very unexpected, and story-wise, there were plenty of fireworks."
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...ing-race_x.htm
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: 'The Amazing Race All-Stars'

Captain Amazing

Producer Bertram Van Munster gives a sneak peek at the upcoming all-star edition of ''Amazing Race'' -- and shares his strategy for dealing with disgruntled ex-contestants

By Whitney Pastorek and Josh Wolk
    ew.com
    January 18, 2007

THE CAST OF THE AMAZING RACE: ALL-STARS
    Photo Credit: The Amazing Race: All-Stars: Robert Voets

Bertram Van Munster is rushing to catch a flight to Las Vegas. But in the true spirit of The Amazing Race — the televised travel game he created and produces — he is also managing to conduct an interview about the season 11 All-Stars edition, which debuts Sunday, Feb. 18, on CBS. And so, while Mr. Van Munster is parking his car, updating his frequent flyer miles, giving his bag to the X-ray tech, and taking off his shoes to go through security, we pick his brain about the contestants, the race, and why this edition won't be just another tour of the world's taxi drivers.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: A lot of people heard ''All-Stars'' and at first hoped it would be actual ''stars'' — celebrities.
    BERTRAM VAN MUNSTER: A lot of celebrities would love to do the race, but to put the schedules together is so complex, it's not realistic.

Why does everyone think they could handle being on this show?
    Everybody can relate to it. Everybody's traveled. It looks easy. Every contestant we ever get on the show says, ''Oh, we're gonna win this thing for sure.'' It's very difficult to do. It's 24 hours a day. This is not a sightseeing trip. This is racing around the world. This is bigger than the Daytona 500. It's not stopping.

So if it's so hard, why do these people want to do it again?
    I think it's the American spirit. They want to be challenged to the max.

When deciding on the teams, we heard that the Hippies (from season 9) were very angry they weren't asked to be on. When you put out word about this, were you flooded with old teams wanting to get on?
    There were people that were sending us e-mails constantly and wanting to be on, but the reality is we had over 200 contestants over the years on this show. All these people have been chosen at one point because we liked them very much, so it was difficult for us to make these choices. But this is what we came up with, and we are all very happy with it. If the Hippies aren't happy with it, there's not much I can do about it. I don't know why they would be unhappy. They won once and we paid them a million dollars.

Did you pick the teams because of their skill or charisma?
    I think they're all charismatic, from my perspective. David and Mary, Rob and Amber, Kevin and Drew, John Vito and Jill, they're all strong people, but it's a difficult thing to do. When you do an All-Stars, first of all you need to make it really original and really different in terms of physical strength and stamina, but also in terms of mental powers: What can we do with these guys to make their lives really hard and complex? So that all goes in the mix. I did make it physically very hard this time, and they did very well, all of them, all across the board. And David and Mary just got off the other race, so they had some previous training, they were in some sort of physical shape. Mary, she lost a lot of weight, so she in a weird way had an advantage over herself.

How long did the season 10 folks — David and Mary, and Dustin and Kandice — have between the two races?
    Two or three months.
    Are there plans for another Amazing Race, or is this the last?

You know, it's up to CBS if they want to do another one. We've done very well with the show; last season we did very, very well. We expect to have really good ratings on this one, too.
    http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20008885,00.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

YAY!!!!! Meerna and Schmeerna!!!!

• xmanmom

YAY for Danny and Oswald!! My favorite team EVA! Go Cha Cha Cha!!

But bleh! Teri and Ian and Romber! WHY!?!?!?! Haven't we seen enough of Romber, I mean really, how many reality shows can they do?

• Minion

I love Dave and Mary! and Team Guido is back! It's about time they did an All Star season but did they really have to bring back Dustin and Kandice? I just couldn't stand them, I hope they get booted off in the first leg.

• My cuties!

Woohooo!! Team Chacha was my all time favorite! They ran the race with such class. I am thrilled they are back. Myrna and Shmyrna, ugh! Not so thrilled to see them back. Same goes for Ramber. They bugged the heck out of me!

Eric Sanchez and Danielle Turner, who competed on separate teams in Season 9 but later became a couple
    This was interesting to learn.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I love Rob and Amber! (I really despise names being merged, blah.) And Uchenna and Joyce. Yay!

But, Dustin and Kandice, I'm not that impressed with. I didn't really like them before. Same with Charla and Mirna, did they do much besides whine?

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

no hippies...bummer..they were my favourite. But still looking forward to this seson.
    www.reveles.net
    "a whole lot of nothin"

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Mini-DVD Markets 'Amazing Race: All-stars'

Author: JESSICA WOLF
    HomeMediaRetailing.com
    Posted: January 31, 2007

CBS and Thermacare are pairing up to promote the upcoming season of "The Amazing Race: All-Stars."

Starting in March, select packages of Thermacare heat wraps will come with a mini-DVD featuring highlights from the past ten seasons Emmy-winning reality show that pits pairs of teams against each other in competitions as they race around the world.

The mini-DVD is titled Re-run the Race.

"The Amazing Race: All-Stars" premieres Sunday, Feb. 18 on CBS, featuring 11 teams comprised of racers who previously appeared on past seasons of the hit show.
    http://www.homemediaretailing.com/index.cfm?sec_id=2

• xmanmom

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Mini-DVD Markets 'Amazing Race: All-stars'

Author: JESSICA WOLF
    HomeMediaRetailing.com
    Posted: January 31, 2007

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/index.cfm?sec_id=2

I might just have to slip a disc again to get my hands on one of those mini-DVDs. Heh!

Yay!! Amazing Race is one of my all time favorite shows, I can't wait for this season to start.

I'm rooting for Rob/Amber and Dustin/Kandice. I hated Myrna/Charla, not looking forward to having to see them.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by piratesmom View Post
    no hippies...bummer..they were my favourite. But still looking forward to this seson.
    From what I heave heard, they were pretty bummed too

I'm so excited for this.
    I can do w/o the BQs and Romber as well.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• My cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    I can do w/o the BQs and Romber as well.
    Agreed! I'll be rooting for Team Cha Cha!!

• Disneyland Grandee

Thumbs up Amazing Race 11 Allstars!

Premiere tonight - don't forget!

CBS is also producing a web only elimination series that shows what happens when Teams are eliminated from the Race and sent to a secluded sequester house until the end of the race. That should be interesting!
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

• Minion

Re: Amazing Race 11 Allstars!

Quote Originally Posted by DizDee View Post
    CBS is also producing a web only elimination series that shows what happens when Teams are eliminated from the Race and sent to a secluded sequester house until the end of the race. That should be interesting!
    Wow, really? I'll reserve judgement until I see it but it sounds like it could be really boring.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast