Thread: Wicked on tour

Wicked on tour

Sunday night we went to Wicked which is on tour and playing in Providence, RI. As I was reading up on the cast I discovered that the role of Nessarose (aka Wicked Witch of the East and Elphaba's sister) was played by Deedee Magno Hall! For those of you who don't remember or know the name she was one of the original members of the New Mickey Mouse Club ('89-'95) and a member of The Party pop group which originated from the MMC.

Since we were in the cheap seats way up at the top balcony, after the show I found myself waiting by the rear exit door with the others (mostly preteen girls ) waiting just to get a better glimpse of the cast as they exited. As the the lead characters signed autographs and posed for pictures with the fans I waited patiently for one of my favorite mouskateers to exit (with her gorgeous hunk of a husband, Cliffton Hall who is Fiyero in the show). I have never been much of an autograph hound but after she made her way through the small crowd by the door and was about to leave, I instantly became about 9 or 10 years old again and just had to ask her to sign my Playbill.

She was the sweetest person I ever met and chatted with in 45 seconds, and to me it was more memorable than than the play itself. All I could think about was how my sister an I would watch MMC everday and always wanted to go to D-MGM to be in the audience for a taping of the show.
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 01-16-2007 at 01:31 PM. Reason: typo

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Re: Wicked on tour

Wow! That is pretty neat! I remember her from MMC. She was one of my favs. So sweet too.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Oh my gosh, THANK YOU for the update!!
    My friend is a huge MMC and DeeDee fan!
    she'll be stoked to learn this.
    BTW, she also used to play Jasmine in Aladdin at DL
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Oh bother!

I saw Wicked on tour in Toronto in November and loved it so much I got tickets and went again in December. The second time I didn't bother to read the Playbill since I had just seen it 2 weeks earlier, but when Nessa came out I realized it wasn't the same actress I had seen. As soon as she sang I got deja vu and opened the palybill to find that it was indeed DeeDee Magno.
    And my gosh yes! Her husband (Fiyero) was pretty much the hottest guy I've ever seen! So for the first time ever I stood at the stage door and asked someone for an autograph. She was really friendly and happy to talk about MMC. That makes me glad that she hasn't forgotten her start because so many people "dis" their early showbiz jobs once they get famous.
    WDW '82 '90 '94 '99 '01 '04 '09x2 '10
    DLR '05 '06 '08 '13

When I spoke to DeeDee she said she was fairly new to the cast and she had just joined Dec 12 while Wicked was in Toronto.

Also reading up on many of the other cast members, lots of them had a Disney connection, usually with Tokyo Disney.

• World Traveler

We just saw this last night at the new Carnival Center in Miami. I liked the show, but the fact that we had pretty bad seats all the way up and to the side meant that I could neither see it very well, and worse hear it. I hope to see it again when it returns to Ft Lauderdale next year. I'll be sure to get better seats next time.

Original Jasmine from DCA show in Wicked Tour

hey everyone, i was checking out the different Wicked websites and I noticed that Deedee magno hall (original Jasmine) was playing Nessarose in the touring cast. just thought it was an interesting tidbit.
    If we chase the stars to lose our shadow, Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine.

Re: Original Jasmine from DCA show in Wicked Tour

It is an interesting tidbit indeed

Wicked on tour

Very cool...can't wait to see that production at the Pantages!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

YUp.
    She was also on the new Mickey Mouse Club.
    She's fabulous, and I can't wait to see and hopefully meet her
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Wicked Tour Announces Several 2008 Destinations

By Andrew Gans
    Playbill.com
    11 Apr 2007

Victoria Matlock as Elphaba in the national tour of Wicked.
    photo by Joan Marcus
    The national tour of the hit Stephen Schwartz-Winnie Holzman musical Wicked, which is currently playing Houston's Hobby Center for the Performing Arts through April 15, has announced an initial list of 2008 tour dates.

The production, which co-stars Victoria Matlock as Elphaba and Christina Decicco as Glinda, will kick off the new year with a return engagement at Cincinnati's Aronoff Center for the Arts Jan. 9-Feb. 3, 2008. Also scheduled are stops in Ft. Lauderdale (a return to the Broward Center for the Performing Arts, March 12-April 6), Rochester (Auditorium Theatre, May 28-June 15) and Buffalo (Shea's Performing Arts Center, June 18-July 13). Additional venues will be announced at a later date.

Remaining Wicked tour dates for 2007 follow.

April 18-May 6 at the Music Hall at Fair Park in Dallas
    May 9-June 3 at the Buell Theatre in Denver
    June 6-17 at the Civic Center Music Hall in Oklahoma City
    June 20-July 8 at the Ohio Theatre in Columbus
    July 11-22 at the Wharton Center for the Performing Arts in East Lansing
    July 25-Aug. 19 at the Academy of Music in Philadelphia
    Sept. 12-Oct. 14 at the Opera House in Boston
    Nov. 14-Dec. 9 at the Bushnell in Hartford

Based on Gregory Maguire's novel, which turned every Oz myth inside out, Wicked explores the early life of the witches of Oz: Glinda and Elphaba. The two main characters meet at Shiz, a school where both hope to take up sorcery. Glinda is madly popular and Elphaba is, well, green. By a misunderstanding, they wind up roommates and, after an initial period of mutual loathing, begin to learn something about each other. Their life paths continue to intersect through a shared love, entry into the Emerald City and interaction with the Wizard himself. Eventually, their choices and convictions take them on widely different paths.

The Broadway company, directed by Joe Mantello, plays the Gershwin Theatre. Wicked also plays open-ended engagements in Chicago, London and Los Angeles.

For more information visit www.wickedthemusical.com.
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/107231.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   
      MiceChat Moderator

Blog Entries

Oops I got confused with this!@

Anyway... How do we get tickets for the remaining dates? I went to that link, then onto TM... there weren't even any placeholders for the Denver dates?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain

I am actually thinking about giving this second chance, when it comes the the Opera House in Boston. I liked it just didn't love it the first time. Maybe with better seats I can enjoy this better. Plus everything at the Opera House is instantly better it is a GORGEOUS theater!!! (it was vacant for year until a mulitmillion dollar restoration a few years back when the Lion King on Broadway premiered in Boston)