Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Read any good books lately?

I just started reading a James Patterson thriller called "Honeymoon." So far , it's about a woman who pretends to be in love with good looking rich men and then kills them so she can steal their money. She makes them omelettes which she poisons with something that makes it look like they died of a heart attack. It's an interesting read so far!

(PS If you read this Ken, don't worry...I'm not making omelettes for dinner tonight!!!)
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 01-16-2007 at 06:25 PM.

• Senior Minion

Re: Read any good books lately?

Since I am currently waiting for the books I reserved at the library to come in, I stole one of the books that my mom has in her 'to be read' pile, "Plum Lovin'" by Janet Evanovich. Cute book, and since i was in a quiet library, I had to contain my laughter and snickers.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• I'm your huckleberry.

I don't know if it's "good" per se, but I am reading something interesting.

I'm a huge Laura Ingalls Wilder buff. I've obviously read all her books (including those published posthumously), and most of the biographies out there. I know WAY too much about her.

But one book I've been wanting to read for a long time is "Constructing the Little House" by Ann Romines. It's... get this, a FEMINIST analysis of the Little House books.

It's insane. The woman makes incest allegations, looks at the house as a metaphor for female captivity, and decides that Wilder's lyrical style of writing is a feminist outburst because narrative writing is purely the realm of men and therefore silences the female voice.

It makes my head spin.

But it's really entertaining, I find myself laughing at it on nearly every page.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
    I just started reading a James Patterson thriller called "Honeymoon." So far , it's about a woman who pretends to be in love with good looking rich men and then kills them so she can steal her money. She makes them omelettes which she poisons with something that makes it look like they died of a heart attack. It's an interesting read so far!

(PS If you read this Ken, don't worry...I'm not making omelettes for dinner tonight!!!)
    That sounds like the kind of books I read Anne.
    Im reading a book called 3rd and Forever. I forgot who its by. Its about a cop from a tiny town who goes back to college in Seattle and starts working on a rape case of one of her fellow students.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Man O Lantern

I'm still reading Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackery. It's really really long!!! I've been reading it for three weeks now. I don't usually take this long to read a book. It's over 800 pages though!

But it's amusing and flat out funny at some points. It does my Jane Austen loving heart good. I love it.

Next up is The Hours. I loved the movie and I read Mrs. Dalloway immediately after watching the movie. So I anticipate I'll read The Hours and go straight back into Mrs. Dalloway again.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

My step dad gave me a copy of Sign of the Cross by Chris Kuzneski. Really easy read. It was similar to Da Vinci Code, but without all the elaborate puzzles.

I just finished listening to Lisey's Story by Stephen King. I really love where he went with the book. Very Stephen King.

I got two books in the Confessions of a Shopaholic series, but I am still missing the Shopaholic Takes Manhattan book. I want to read them in succession.

I picked up 'Salem's Lot out of my own library, but I haven't gotten very far with it.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

my husband and i are reading the Circle Trilogy by Fern Michaels, which has been surprising entertaining.

After i finish the third book i'm going to read Lisey's Story, since my mom surprised me with it this afternoon
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

ALLLL of Mitch Albom's stuff. I just read a kids book called, "The Devil's Arithematic" about the holocaust. Good stuff.

• My cuties!

I just finished Next by Michael Crichton. It started out much stronger than it ended.

Next up is The Cradle Robbers by Ayelet Waldman. It is the 4th or 5th in a series called the Mommy Track Mysteries. They're entertaining.

Hyper, that book sounds STRANGE!!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Anne, I like James Patterson books too. I haven't read one in awhile though. I have a few my dad sent me, I need to get on those

Right now I'm reading Stop Dressing Your Six Year Old Like a Skank by Celia Rivenbark. It's hilarious!!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I have about 200 pages yet in Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which I have been reading since August. I am interested in it, but I don't see the rave reviews being deserved.

Next up? Either Nelson Demille's Wildfire, the new Disney biography, or some Agatha Christie.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• For You!

I've been reading the Yaya Sisterhood books - Started with Little Altars Everywhere and now into The Divine Secrets of the yaya sisterhood. Altars was okay, a lot of background info. Divine is better - and as usual, the book, so far, is better than the movie.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• no flash photography...

I'm reading for my fun book Finding Lost seasons one and two.

and for my interesting book. Misquoting jesus.

I usually read 2 to three book at a time.

• Banned User

I just finished the book called "More Mouse Tales" I still think the 1st one is a little better though.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Let's see, so much to report.

On Christmas Day I read, Holiday on Ice by Dave Sedaris. I enjoyed it so much I read it twice.
    Then, the latest in the Star Wars universe, Tempest by Troy Denning. I can't get enough of the Solo's and Skywalkers.

Currently, Post Captain by Patrick O'Brian. This is the second book in the Aubrey/Mauturin series. It's a 20 novel set and is a wonderful sea novels. It doesn't hurt that in my mind I see Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany as Aubrey and Maturin as they looked in Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.

Claire, I loved Vanity Fair. And also loved the Reese Witherspoon film adaptation. Nothing beats a girl from the wrong side of the tracks trying to make her way in society any way she can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast