• Senior Minion

Robin Hood films and books

As my topic about King Arthur was taken before I could talk to the professor, She said I could do my paper on the legend of Robin Hood, and I have like 2 movies so far, but would like to know what are the good Robin Hood films and books about the character (if any).

I appriciate the help very much!!!!!!
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Huh?

Re: Robin Hood films and books

For satire/parody of the legend -- Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Long before that, Mel Brooks made a short-lived TV series in 1975, When Things Were Rotten.

Disney made two Robin Hood films -- one live-action and one animated.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was one of the best made. Or, at least, I liked it.

Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Bing Crosby, Peter Faulk, etc. starred in Robin and the 7 Hoods in 1964. Took the traditional story and dropped it into prohibition-era Chicago.

Douglas Fairbanks' 1922 version is a must to see if you're going to report on the legend.

Oh, and if you really want to delve into some little-known theories and connections, look into some vampyre mythology. Many seem to think that the very old Kirklees (sp?) Vampyre may be (or may be somehow tied to) Robin of Locksley. Check out the Grail Church and its Bishop for more information... (warning, they have like the world's worst website, but its a real church and organization).
    -Tim

• Minion

The lasting classic Robin Hood adaptation is Warner Bros 1939 "The Adventures of Robin Hood" with Errol Flynn, Olivia DeHavilland and Basil Rathbone. Hard to top that in any way.

Walt Disney's 1953 "The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men" also has some good plot devices and character ideas, some reused in the later animated feature.

• Minion

And let's not forget "Robin and Marian" which imagines them as middle aged. Stars Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn.

• my two sunshines

I LOVED When Things Were Rotten - funny funny funny!

You have Robin and the Seven Hoods - Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Sammy Davis - well the entire ratpack

There is: Robin Hood and the Sorcerer (kind of Robin Hood with a twist)
    Robin Hood with Kevin Costner
    Young Robin Hood (TV movie)
    Princess of Theives (Keira Knightly - a woman Robin Hood)

One of my favorite Robin Hood movies is the one with Errol Flynn

• Do you have a 27B/6?

The book "The Once and Future King" has an interesting depiction of Robin Hood and his band. He's not the main character (the book is about Arthur, actually), but if you read the first part (The Sword in the Stone), Robin has a pivotal role.
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

GAH so many movies I still need to see

There was also a TV movie in England not too long ago, I think.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by Trac View Post
    I LOVED When Things Were Rotten - funny funny funny!
    OMG I LOVED When Things Were Rotten, competely and totally addicted to it. Can't believe someone else has seen it. LOL

My Fav Film: Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves. One of my pride possessions...one of the long bows used by "Kevie" in the film.

Edit: TRAC, I OWE YOU BIG TIME... Hadn't thought of When Things Were Rotten in years.. Always wanted to own the series, but didn't think it would be possible. Well, seeing it mentioned again got me to Google it, and WOW, Just ordered the Series from Amazon.com. *DOES MAJOR "WHEN THINGS WERE ROTTEN" HAPPY DANCE!
    Last edited by AlohaStitch; 01-24-2007 at 10:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

*bumping this up to announce...*

That my When Things Were Rotten video tape arrived today... AND just as funny as I remember...

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    *bumping this up to announce...*

That my When Things Were Rotten video tape arrived today... AND just as funny as I remember...

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!
    OMG my mom has been looking for that series for years.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLoup View Post
    OMG my mom has been looking for that series for years.

Got mine through Amazon.com and yes I will immediately be transfering the tape to a DVD. Video tapes don't last forever and will break. I don't want anything to happen to it and, trust me, now that I've finally got a copy..it aint going nowhere!!!!!!
    Last edited by AlohaStitch; 01-31-2007 at 08:39 PM.
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Here's an interesting future addition to the list:

Universal flies with Crowe

Variety Exclusive: Duo reunite for Robin Hood

Crowe

Voris

Reiff

By Michael Fleming & Diane Garrett
    (Dave McNary contributed to this report.)
    Variety
    February 1, 2007

Universal has nabbed spec script "Nottingham," in a deal that will reunite Russell Crowe with Imagine Entertainment.

Crowe will receive $20 million against 20% to star as the Sheriff of Nottingham in this revisionist version of the Robin Hood story from the creators of "Sleeper Cell."

Scribes Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris will receive seven figures for the script.

Imagine's Brian Grazer will produce the pic, expected to start lensing at the end of the year or early 2008.

William Morris, which reps Crowe and the writers, put together the package.Deal reps the second big bidding battle U has won in past few days. Last week, the studio landed the rights to a pic about the Fugees, a refugee soccer club (Daily Variety, Jan. 25).

"Nottingham" is based on the premise that Robin Hood was less virtuous and the sheriff more noble than previously depicted. Story also involves a love triangle between Robin Hood, Maid Marion and Nottingham's sheriff.

"He's trying to do the right thing, but he's up against Robin Hood, who's becoming heroic while not necessarily acting in the nicest way," explained Reiff, a history buff.

He and Voris were halfway through the script when they started working on the first season of "Sleeper Cell"; ironically, they closed the deal days after learning Showtime would not be picking up their Emmy-nommed skein for a third season.

"It was a bitter pill, but this is a pretty good antidote," Voris told Daily Variety.

Bidding was very competitive, with New Line and Warner Bros. vying for the project and Sony, New Regency and DreamWorks also expressing interest. Helmers Bryan Singer, Sam Raimi and Jon Turteltaub were attached at other studios.

Crowe has worked with Imagine several times, most recently on "American Gangster," skedded for a Nov. 6 bow. He previously toplined "Cinderella Man" and "A Beautiful Mind" for Imagine. Crowe also stars in "3:10 to Yuma," an upcoming Lionsgate pic helmed by James Mangold.

Reiff and Voris hadn't written a spec script since 1995.

"We figured that this story was going to be hard to sell as a pitch," Voris said. "We also knew that this would be very castable, since most of the leading men now are either English or Australian."
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Yow, the two most frightening words in film: "Revisionist version"...when it's good, it's good, but when it's bad...

Jackie

• Pinqueen

Orginally from MI, now in FL (i love life in the sun!)

Robin Hood, men in tights is the greatest movie! One of my very favorits. Mel Brooks is hilarious and did an awesome job. AS i get older this movie just gets funnier and funnier!

• Wishing

I believe it was slightly mentioned but there is apparently a current tv series in England on Robin Hood. I've watched the first five episodes. I'm a huge fan of Robin Hood and this take on the characters is really interesting. It's done in a epic feel, but with soap opera twists.
    Most often found at a theme park