Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Correspondent-Editor

01-23-07 While You Were Out

First Person: While You Were Out

By C. W. Oberleitner
    January 23, 2007

Been wondering where our resident scribe has been for the past few weeks? Yeah, neither have we. As it turns out, Mr. Oberleitner left word, via e-mail with our webmaster, that he would be taking off a couple of weeks for some R&R. However, the junk mail filters on our e-mail server flagged his message as SPAM. Perhaps he shouldn’t have titled his message “Personal Growth and Introspection.”

Read the full story here >>

•   
    • Minion

Re: 01-23-07 While You Were Out

62 cents, eh? You're rich now!
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Fantastic update Chuck. Although this little bit of news is quite sad:
    Last Friday, Roy E. Disney (77) and his wife of 52 years Patricia (72), citing irreconcilable differences, filed for divorce. The Disneys have four adult children and sixteen grandchildren.
    For those who haven't seen Mr. Oberleitner's update, click the link in the first post. It is a good one.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Senior Minion

Thanks for the update Mr. Oberleitner. I feel like I'm at a fireside chat very enjoyable.
    I'm just all broken up about Pressler. (I had already read on MC)
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Ok, let me add one counterpoint.. as much as everyone wants to jump on the comp package for the CEO.. even if he were to donate his ENTIRE compensation to the wages of the employees.. it wouldn't even make a scratch, let alone a dent in the problem.

Look at WDW .. 50,000+ employees right? Just ONE property of ONE division. 25mill / 50,000 people = $500 a person. Now don't go splitting hairs over how many of those people are already making enough.. that would be diffused by counting the other sites in the organization.. or even other divisions. My point being is the order of scale people are talking about is way above even his 'greed' (as some people would think) compensation.

Payroll is insanely expensive... even the smallest move at these scales means tens of millions of dollars. And its not cost that ever goes away, it always just climbs. So keep that in mind when you ask why can't they just give everyone a 33% raise.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Ok, let me add one counterpoint.. as much as everyone wants to jump on the comp package for the CEO.. even if he were to donate his ENTIRE compensation to the wages of the employees.. it wouldn't even make a scratch, let alone a dent in the problem.

Look at WDW .. 50,000+ employees right? Just ONE property of ONE division. 25mill / 50,000 people = $500 a person. Now don't go splitting hairs over how many of those people are already making enough.. that would be diffused by counting the other sites in the organization.. or even other divisions. My point being is the order of scale people are talking about is way above even his 'greed' (as some people would think) compensation.

Payroll is insanely expensive... even the smallest move at these scales means tens of millions of dollars. And its not cost that ever goes away, it always just climbs. So keep that in mind when you ask why can't they just give everyone a 33% raise.
    Good point flynnibus, but I think Chuck is trying to highlight that Bob just doesn't come across as the "Common Man" with a pay check of 15 Million when the average Disney park employee is making $25K or less. There is no doubt that his extra 14 mill isn't going to help the employees much, but it sure does make him look out of touch with the struggles of his own employees. Poor Bob can't make it on a measly Million but fully expects his workers to feed their families on a tiny sliver of that.

Now this isn't really Bob's fault. The board gave him the comp package. But it sure would make ALL of them look like heroes if they also decided to vote a generous pay increase for the people who make them all that money.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Good point flynnibus, but I think Chuck is trying to highlight that Bob just doesn't come across as the "Common Man" with a pay check of 15 Million when the average Disney park employee is making $25K or less.
    Yes, but he's also the CEO of a global, multi-billion dollar comglomerate. He's not the team lead of Fantasyland I don't think its fair to compare the CEO of the parent company to the compensation (or ratios) to a front-line, part time, hourly worker. Something like comparing the park president would be more appropriate IMO.

I think the focus here often makes people forget Disney is a ton more then just the parks.. and I wonder just how much of the CEOs life is spent to the parks (just a portion of the business). Everyone likes to tag the CEO at responsible for every decision, but if the CEO were involved with every decision in the parks (lets not forget.. 5 of em!) he wouldn't run any other part of the company. Yes the CEO is ULTIMATELY responsible.. but by the tone of some people here, you'd think he stamped every napkin replacement order!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Now this isn't really Bob's fault. The board gave him the comp package. But it sure would make ALL of them look like heroes if they also decided to vote a generous pay increase for the people who make them all that money.
    Without doing all the research.. my gut feel is this compensation is inline with the size of the company he is running. Also, lets not forget Disney isn't reporting losses either. I'd be more inclined to agree if

- disney was reporting losses (while the execs are cashing in)
    - disney was a sub-billion dollar company and their CEO is making 25mil/year

These are the points that normally set off the executive compensation wars. When you have a small company and the exec is making in the millions.. that's time torches and pitchforks in my book But what is disney's profitability vs the CEO comp or revenue vs CEO comp compared to other relativly sized companies?

Yes, but he's also the CEO of a global, multi-billion dollar comglomerate. He's not the team lead of Fantasyland I don't think its fair to compare the CEO of the parent company to the compensation (or ratios) to a front-line, part time, hourly worker. Something like comparing the park president would be more appropriate IMO.

I think the focus here often makes people forget Disney is a ton more then just the parks.. and I wonder just how much of the CEOs life is spent to the parks (just a portion of the business). Everyone likes to tag the CEO at responsible for every decision, but if the CEO were involved with every decision in the parks (lets not forget.. 5 of em!) he wouldn't run any other part of the company. Yes the CEO is ULTIMATELY responsible.. but by the tone of some people here, you'd think he stamped every napkin replacement order!

Without doing all the research.. my gut feel is this compensation is inline with the size of the company he is running. Also, lets not forget Disney isn't reporting losses either. I'd be more inclined to agree if

- disney was reporting losses (while the execs are cashing in)
    - disney was a sub-billion dollar company and their CEO is making 25mil/year

These are the points that normally set off the executive compensation wars. When you have a small company and the exec is making in the millions.. that's time torches and pitchforks in my book But what is disney's profitability vs the CEO comp or revenue vs CEO comp compared to other relativly sized companies?
    Now hold on a minute. they are always going to pay the CEO losts of money even if the company loses money. The big problem at WDW is they continue to make record profits and continue to out source jobs. Also when ther season is busy they have extra hours and mandatory overtime in some areas. When the season slows down they cut your hours. They also use 6 hour shifts that still make you fulltime. The problem with that is they are always understaffed so why can't they give the full time CM 40 hours a week. They won't do it because they are evil. And they continue to have high turnover. Also they used to have job fairs 2 times a year. Now they have them every month. Plus with the mandatory background checks you always lose about have of the applicants along with immigration problems. If they had to give all WDW CM background checks they would have to close a park down.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by BALASADA View Post
    Now hold on a minute. they are always going to pay the CEO losts of money even if the company loses money. The big problem at WDW is they continue to make record profits and continue to out source jobs. Also when ther season is busy they have extra hours and mandatory overtime in some areas. When the season slows down they cut your hours. They also use 6 hour shifts that still make you fulltime. The problem with that is they are always understaffed so why can't they give the full time CM 40 hours a week. They won't do it because they are evil. And they continue to have high turnover. Also they used to have job fairs 2 times a year. Now they have them every month. Plus with the mandatory background checks you always lose about have of the applicants along with immigration problems. If they had to give all WDW CM background checks they would have to close a park down.
    Ok, and every single thing you said completely ignored everything I said before... what's the tip-off.. focusing on the PARKS ONLY.

Ok, and every single thing you said completely ignored everything I said before... what's the tip-off.. focusing on the PARKS ONLY.
    You are way off. When he took over he told the Parks to do what they want. So they lay off. The funny thing is hecould of asked why are you letting CM go when you have a work shortage. It is people like you that show the world is full of aholes.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Again.. get your head out the trenches. You're obviously focused in one ONE aspect of ONE portion of the business. The point of the post was Disney is much larger.. MUCH larger.. then just the parks. Something for two posts in a row now you fail to comprehend.

Again.. get your head out the trenches. You're obviously focused in one ONE aspect of ONE portion of the business. The point of the post was Disney is much larger.. MUCH larger.. then just the parks. Something for two posts in a row now you fail to comprehend.
    Wake up. When you run the whole company and tell the leaders to cut costs to keep making a billion dollars instead of 900 million dollars it is total greed. Evil greed but you agree with it. PLus when you spend billions of dollars to buy Pixar who has a crooked CEO and make him the number one shareholder of disney stock, of course you want to receive 25 million dollars in total pay while CM continue to be laid off. Evil world.

• Pilot EdForceOne

You are obviously a disgruntled WDW CM who can't see past the tip of their nose and look at things from a higher level..

Lets look at your post history...

Critical...
    I didn't run it but I posted on here what was wrong with he event this year

Weak There you hear they ran out of medals. What a operation.

And you can't give up the CM topic...
    Funny I didn't see any official statement from Bob Iger thanking all the hard working CM who have been laidoff since he took over or the ones yet to be let go
    My Resolution is to hide out when they pass out more pink slips and outsource more jobs for quality
    Here is a great idea for a dream. Tell the CM that are losing their jobs to outsourcing at the WDW resorts that it was a mistake and they won a dream to keep their job. Of course this won't happen....
    Hopefully not a pink slip telling me that my job is being outsourced to help the company keep making millions of dollars
    They did outsource computer work already and when you call for IT support sometimes you do get a caller from India
    He would have his own type of IPod and he wouldn't have Pixar running animation. He would be in shock of all the disgrace done to him with the conditions of the parks and resorts...
    Maybe they will let the animation cast members being laided off have a chance to stay in the suite
    You are so focused on this individual topic its impossible for you to view the company at higher level. Step back and get out of your daily life and compare these CEO numbers to comparable industries and companies.

I understand the concerns over the front-line employee pay, etc, but sometimes people need to step outside their own little world and realize they are just one tiny portion.

Disney is a 34 BILLION dollar/year company. The people running that ship do not focus their entire day on details such as these. That is why you have a management team. The higher the ladder you climb, the more long term your vision is supposed to be, and more DIRECTION not detail oriented you must be. If you focus your efforts on individual line items, you aren't doing your job. The details are to be implemented by lower level people. Blame the CEO for the direction and vision, not the implementation. That's where the PARK management comes into play.

I'd be amazed if the television/radio/entertainment/products side of the company didn't dominate the time of the CEO and his attention compared to the parks. Something that people here probably don't want to admit.

You are obviously a disgruntled WDW CM who can't see past the tip of their nose and look at things from a higher level..

Lets look at your post history...

Critical...

And you can't give up the CM topic...
    You are so focused on this individual topic its impossible for you to view the company at higher level. Step back and get out of your daily life and compare these CEO numbers to comparable industries and companies.

I understand the concerns over the front-line employee pay, etc, but sometimes people need to step outside their own little world and realize they are just one tiny portion.

Disney is a 34 BILLION dollar/year company. The people running that ship do not focus their entire day on details such as these. That is why you have a management team. The higher the ladder you climb, the more long term your vision is supposed to be, and more DIRECTION not detail oriented you must be. If you focus your efforts on individual line items, you aren't doing your job. The details are to be implemented by lower level people. Blame the CEO for the direction and vision, not the implementation. That's where the PARK management comes into play.

I'd be amazed if the television/radio/entertainment/products side of the company didn't dominate the time of the CEO and his attention compared to the parks. Something that people here probably don't want to admit.
    Again you are dead wrong. Yes I feel for the CM who get screwed over in the name of profits. But as you will never understand the CEO made the policy to let the other areas do what they want. So when they layoff I feel the CEO should contact each CM and tell them he is sorry they are being let go for profits. But you wouldn't understand that either. Plus with the very high turn over and openings they have at both parks I would hope the powers at be would be a very very little concerned.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Well when you get another job in your life.. and stop working in the WDW hotels, you'll see a bit more how large business is ran from a different level.. not just the front-line people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast