• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Exclamation Oscar Nominations: 'Dreamgirls' denied best picture nomination - MSNBC, 1/23/07

MSNBC, 1/23/07
    Oscar Nominations: ‘Dreamgirls’ denied best picture nomination

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - The peppy “Dreamgirls” led Academy Awards contenders Tuesday with eight nominations, but surprisingly was shut out in the best picture category after being considered a potential front-runner.

The sweeping ensemble drama “Babel” was close behind with seven, including best picture and acting honors for two newcomers to U.S. audiences, Adriana Barraza and Rinko Kikuchi.

Other best-picture nominees were the bloody crime saga “The Departed,” the World War II spectacle “Letters From Iwo Jima,” the road-trip comedy “Little Miss Sunshine” and the monarchy-in-crisis chronicle “The Queen.”
    Full Story: Oscar Nominations: ‘Dreamgirls’ denied best picture nomination

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Oscar Nominations: ‘Dreamgirls’ denied best picture nomination - MSNBC, 1/23/07

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest received four nominations for Art Direction, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Visual Effects.

Cars received two nominations for Best Animated Film and Original Song.

Apocalypto was nominated for Makeup, Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.

The complete list of nominees is at www.oscar.com.

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Oscar Nominations: ‘Dreamgirls’ denied best picture nomination - MSNBC, 1/23/07

I dunno, I think A.M.P.A.S. REALLY needs to get with the times here and start recongnizing great comedic performances.

I mean, to nominte Peter O'Toole just because his name is Peter O'toole is stupid. From all accounts I've heard his performance in Venus is good ... but not at all award worthy.

• Directly directed

Wow. I have an Oscar party every year and it's always more fun if you actually want a movie to win best picture. No Dreamgirls? I'm really surprised.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I dunno, I think A.M.P.A.S. REALLY needs to get with the times here and start recongnizing great comedic performances.

I mean, to nominte Peter O'Toole just because his name is Peter O'toole is stupid. From all accounts I've heard his performance in Venus is good ... but not at all award worthy.
    The only way to really know is to actually see the films yourself, then the feeling of an Academy Award-worthy performance will seem justified.

Having seen all of the films nominated above (save for 'Letters from Iwo Jima' which I'll do this week) I'd say its a near perfect, well-rounded list.
    My pick would remain...

'BABEL' - a MC review - 10/17/06
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ighlight=babel
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I agree. I think Sacha Baron Cohen for Borat would've been an edgier (and probably more deserving) choice.

That Dreamgirls didn't get a Best Picture nod was stunning. Even more telling, three of its eight nominations were for Best Song and it was shut out of the directing and writing categories. For all its critical accolades, Dreamgirls was clearly not a movie the Academy took seriously.

This may be one of the most anticlimactic Academy Awards ever. Does anyone think Forest Whitaker, Helen Mirren, Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Hudson are NOT going to win the acting awards? The only major race that might be interesting is Best Picture. With Dreamgirls out of the running, Babel becomes the clear favorite, but I'm rooting for The Departed. Even if it doesn't win for picture, please, please, PLEASE will the Academy finally give Martin Scorsese a Best Director Oscar? This is his best work in years and he got career performances out of Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Wahlberg.

In the Animated Feature category, I don't think Cars is a lock. As visually stunning as it was, it was overlong and emotionally distant. Happy Feet was more of a crowd pleaser and will probably win.

We'll all find out on February 25th.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest received four nominations for Art Direction, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing and Visual Effects.

Cars received two nominations for Best Animated Film and Original Song.

Apocalypto was nominated for Makeup, Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.
    and also to be noted...

Best animated short film

Lifted” (Buena Vista)
    A Pixar Animation Studios Production
    Gary Rydstrom

The Little Matchgirl” (Buena Vista)
    A Walt Disney Pictures Production
    Roger Allers and Don Hahn

Gary Rydstrom’s First Pixar Short to Debut at Chicago Fest -AWN.com 9/26/06
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ghlight=lifted

Walt Disney Pictures' animated short, 'The Little Matchgirl' - 7/17/06
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ight=matchgirl
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

The Academy Awards should be renamed "The Old Stodgy Stuck Up Humorless Awards for That Couldn't Find the Humor In A Truck Loaded with Live Chickens crashing and Burning with a Truck Loaded with BBQ Sauce" Movies with Brilliant Humor are looked upon as the dredges of
    the earth, somehow it's (say this with a British accent) BENEATH them.

My thoughts:

Animated Film: Surprisingly, the same nominations as the Golden Globes. A little surprised that Over the Hedge wasn't nominated ~ I think it was better than Monster House. Would have liked to see Open Season in this Categorie as it was one of my favorite movies of the year, almost better than Cars.

CINEMATOGRAPHY: Pirates should have been nominated without question! Academy blew it here, once again sticking there noses
    in the air at Action movies.

COSTUME DESIGN: Once again, the old stodgie movies curdled their
    way to the nominee list

MAKE UP: Why not Pirates? Jack is has increase profitability of
    Maybeline 643%! Just because it's CGI make up, doesn't make
    it any less. Certainly Davey Jones deserves the Oscar. And Tia
    Dalma is certainly a new trend setter in make up stylings!

MUSIC (Song) Am I the only one who just doesn't get "Dream Girls"?

SOUND EDITING / MIXING: This is where the Academy sends the Action Films to die.

VISUAL EFFECTS: Pirates, Poseidon (no thanks, Leo's boat movie took all the sinking ship movie awards for last century and this) , (not so)Superman. sheesh, Is there any doubt Pirates deserves the Award. (the Curse of the Black Pearl should have won too, but for some reason the Academy was obliged to give LOTR, as many Awards as possible for the final installment)

And that's what is important to know about the Oscars this year
    (hey, so I liked pirates)

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Animated Film: Surprisingly, the same nominations as the Golden Globes. A little surprised that Over the Hedge wasn't nominated ~ I think it was better than Monster House. Would have liked to see Open Season in this Categorie as it was one of my favorite movies of the year, almost better than Cars.
    I was surprised Over the Hedge wasn't nominated too. It was fun, entertaining and had a good heart.

No matter how good it looks, you can't classify CGI effects as makeup. That's one of the reasons why POTC was nominated for Visual Effects and will likely win. My choice for Makeup would be Pan's Labryinth. I haven't seen the film yet, but the overall look of it is amazing and the makeup effects are impressivie.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    MUSIC (Song) Am I the only one who just doesn't get "Dream Girls"?
    Nope. My neighbor (who loves musicals btw) and her boyfriend walked out of it. They hated it. I personally have not interest in seing it.

However, my guess is that it was probably real close and it just didn't get enough votes to be in the top 5.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

The Prestige scored two minor nominations too,

but Disney's big triumph of course is

The Queen, from the "new" Miramax, got 6 nominations including Best Picture.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I loved Dreamgirls! I actually cried when Jennifer Hudson sang "Aint Gonna Leave." I cannot believe it was not nominated, but my husband can. He thought it was to emotional. I also have a big Oscar Party each year and now cannot wait to see what won for Best Picture.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Quote:
    DisneyTim
    No matter how good it looks, you can't classify CGI effects as makeup. That's one of the reasons why POTC was nominated for Visual Effects and will likely win. My choice for Makeup would be Pan's Labryinth. I haven't seen the film yet, but the overall look of it is amazing and the makeup effects are impressivie.
    Oh, yeah! and what about Capt Jack and Tia Dalma, huh, huh, huh!
    Do'nch like the make up on them. Tia Dalma Dalma look Mawv-ahh-lus!
    or doen't the Academy consider DIRT as make up