BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Who votes for the Oscar nominees? - Variety 1/23/2007

Who votes for the Oscar nominees?

AMPAS has 5,830 members who cast ballots

By Timothy M. Gray
    Variety
    January 23, 2007
    OK, the results are in. But who voted?

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences consists of 5,830 voting members in 16 branches. Of those, the largest group is actors, with 1,251 voting thesps.

Each branch nominates in its own category: Actors for actors, director for directors, etc. Special voting groups within the Academy pick the nominees in other categories (docu, foreign-lingo film, makeup, short films, sound editing, visual effects), with all the voting members nominating best pic.
    http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_....html?nav=news

Academy members from the various branches selected the nominees in their corresponding award categories, with the exception of the Animated Feature and Foreign Language Film categories, in which nominations were determined by vote of screening committees composed of members from several branches. All voting members are eligible to select the Best Picture nominees. Ballots were mailed to 5,830 voting members in late December and were returned directly to PricewaterhouseCoopers, the international accounting firm, for tabulation.

Best Picture nominees, "Babel", "The Departed", "Letters from Iwo Jima", "Little Miss Sunshine", and "The Queen".

Official screenings for members of all pictures receiving nominations will begin this weekend at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater. Screenings in some categories also will be held in Hollywood, at the Academy’s Linwood Dunn Theater, as well as in London, New York and San Francisco.

The Academy’s entire active and life membership is eligible to select the winners in all categories, although in five of them – the Animated Short Film, Live Action Short Film, Documentary Feature, Documentary Short Subject, and Foreign Language Film categories – members can vote only after attesting that they have seen all of the nominated films in the category.
    Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2006 will be presented on Sunday, February 25, 2007, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network at 5 p.m. PST (8 p.m. EST), beginning with a half-hour arrivals segment, “The Road to the Oscars®.”
    http://www.oscars.org/79academyaward...nnc/index.html
    Last edited by ALIASd; 01-23-2007 at 08:40 AM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Who votes for the Oscar nominees? - Variety 1/23/2007

Reactions to the nominations
    Nominees spill on the thrill of being honored

By VARIETY STAFF

Reactions to the 79th Annual Academy Award nominations:

Now that he has the supporting actor nomination in the bag, Mark Wahlberg said that his Tuesday afternoon golf game with brother Paul would likely curry favor to his older sibling.

"He may beat me today as I'm not too concerned about golf," "The Departed" star said. Of his nomination, Wahlberg said the real sweet spot was making mom and dad proud. "I was able to put my real-life experiences with the Boston Police to good use after all," he said. "After all the torture I have put them through, to know they cried happy tears today. I'll think about that for a while."
    "
    "The Pursuit of Happyness" actor contender Will Smith, who is on location in Gotham lensing "I Am Legend," said: "Congratulations to all of the nominees. It is a great honor to be considered among this caliber of performers. No competition, all celebration. Let the parties begin."
    "When the idea of making 'The Queen' was first mooted we had no idea that the result would have quite the impact it has had," actress nominee Helen Mirren said via statement -- she is abroad filming "Inkheart." "This was one of the hardest roles to play not just a living person but one who is part of our everyday lives in Britain," Mirren added. "Whilst her presence is with us from her image on the letters that come through our door and on the money we spend, we know so little of the woman behind the image. I hope that my performance has conveyed a sense of Elizabeth the woman as well as the Queen."
    "I didn't get that much sleep because of course I was nervous," "Babel" producer Jon Kilik said.

"You never know how its going to go, the Academy always has some surprises and there were a few this year. This (pic's seven noms) is a tribute to everyone's hard work, endless energy and dedication. Adriana (Barraza) had to gain weight. Rinko (Kikuchi) studied sign language and had to prepare for many months before she was even given the part," he said of the two nommed actresses.
    "We had over a million feet of film; more than 240 hours worth of footage, said "Babel" film editor Steven Mirrione. "Alejandro (González Iñárritu) is so relentless. Every single moment, every single second, every single frame, he tries to squeeze as much life as he can and because of that he shoots a lot of film. It was a challenge, but I am excited for everything that is about to come."
    "I've been laughing, crying, hollering, whooping and leaping around," "Little Children" star Kate Winslet said.

"My husband, Sam (Mendes), called me. He's in London, I'm in New York. I had just dropped my daughter at school and I was taking my son. There was some serious fist pumping, pounding the ceiling of the car."

"This isn't supposed to happen to a girl who grew up in a tiny town. I was told the only way I'd have a career as an actress would be if I could settle for playing fat girls."

And what did Winslet have to say about co-star Jackie Earle Haley's nod?
    "It's not just a whole new career, it's a whole new life. It's gonna change him and his self esteem.

"And the cycle begins," "Happy Feet" helmer George Miller stated.

" I just got back from India so I was in bed and someone called me.. It's a lot better to be in LA than in Sydney because when you get that call at 2 a.m., you always think it's something wrong.
    "It feels very good," he added. "As they say in Australia, it's better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick. That's a classic Austra-lian understatement and irony."