• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Can't bring Disney down- Oregon Daily Emerald- 5/26/05 (editorial)

Full text available here:
    http://www.dailyemerald.com/vnews/di.../4295849b7a770

"We feel after nine years of boycotting Disney we have made our point," American Family Association President Tim Wildmon said on his organization's Web site.
    After a nearly decade-long boycott that America refused to get behind and that had absolutely no effect, the AFA gave up.

To add to the AFA's fake victory, the announcement goes on: "Another positive sign has been the breakup of Disney and Miramax, the controversial film producing company that the Mouse House bought in 1993 for $80 million."

Thank you, AFA, for failing to save America from the likes of "Finding Neverland," "The Aviator" and "Les Choristes." It's too bad Miramax founders Bob and Harvey Weinstein will no longer get to produce under the Miramax name they built for nearly 25 years.

The Disney/Miramax split, as has been widely reported, was not a decision to dump Miramax for its content. Far more likely, the cause was that Miramax was making too much money with hits like "Shakespeare in Love," "Pulp Fiction" and "Goodwill Hunting," and Disney wasn't getting a big enough cut. When the Weinsteins started to bomb out with movies like the largely unseen "Kate and Leopold," "The Shipping News" and "Talk Magazine," longtime Disney executive Michael Eisner could justify letting go of the artistically creative brothers with whom he had never seen eye to eye.

"It is our hope that the corporate leadership at Disney will see the error of their ways and change directions ... the company can return again to the Disney most came to love and trust in past generations," the AFA states on its Web site.

Though Walt was long dead by the time Miramax was on the scene, he did say, "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." In order for the company to remain successful, Disney's expansion to more adult-targeted films was inevitable. Back to that "love and trust" of the bygone Disney. I'm curious as to which films, exactly, the AFA was referring.

Perhaps it meant the Disney movies that failed to portray a two-parent family, such as Snow White, Cinderella, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty (exist but are absent), The Sword and the Stone and The Lion King (mother exists but is largely absent)? Or perhaps the Disney stories that portray a woman as unable to make life choices for herself (Snow White) and as vain (nearly every Disney princess) or seen and not heard (The Little Mermaid)?

The studio also has a tendency to make men look like lovesick, obsessive dolts (Prince Charming) or angry dominant victimizers (both Beast and Gaston in Beauty and the Beast). Uncle Walt himself steadfastly avoided claiming any social responsibility for his films: "I don't pretend to know anything about art. I make pictures for entertainment, and then the professors tell me what they mean," he famously quipped.

The AFA's boycott was intended not only for the films but for everything Disney, especially the parks.

"Products and theme parks are subsidizing Disney's promotion of the homosexual agenda," reads the AFA's original boycott manifesto.

Well, they got that right. Big Gay Mickey has been recruiting kids into gaydom for far too long. What with those sassy shorts, stylish shoes and gloves, not to mention that mischievous, "come hither" grin.
    funny stuff Thought you would enjoy!
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

•   
    • Minion

This smells like political manuvering, because they know that Narnia is coming... And they aren't going to be able to tell people they can't see it...

Asland is on the move...

Of course, you know he is gay, right?

Just kidding...
    Check out my other blog:

• My laughing place

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    Full text available here:
    http://www.dailyemerald.com/vnews/di.../4295849b7a770

funny stuff Thought you would enjoy!
    I actually agree with some of the things the AFA was stating. Disney is too huge for a boycott to work, but I really have a problem with Gay Days at WDW. I think they were simply tring to tell Disney that having that event at WDW is unacceptable and trying to do something to make a point

• LoisAlene

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS01
    I actually agree with some of the things the AFA was stating. Disney is too huge for a boycott to work, but I really have a problem with Gay Days at WDW. I think they were simply tring to tell Disney that having that event at WDW is unacceptable and trying to do something to make a point

I wasn't aware that Gay Days was a Disney sponsored event....

If it bothers you, then don't go to them!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by Momzilla59
    I wasn't aware that Gay Days was a Disney sponsored event....

If it bothers you, then don't go to them!
    It isn't ...... and well said, if you don't want to go on that day ... THEN DON'T!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• is confuzzled.

"We don't want to cater to one fan base over the other, or at the expense of another," said Dennis Rice, Disney's senior vice president for public relations. Translation: We want as much money as possible from as many different types of people as possible.
    Even though it is "we want as much money as possible" maybe they dont want people who arent Christian to be uncomfortable watching Narina. Just a thought

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS01
    What is your problem with them? They don't harm you. They don't harm anyone else. You either go or you don't. Are you scared of homosexuals? Looking from a hetrosexual's point of view, I would have thought that I could say where you were coming from but I have gotta say it is exactly the same as racism. As homosexuality becomes more and more mainstream, you are gonna have to live with it. Because there is nothing that you can do about it.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

When I read articles like this, I don't get angry or upset....instead...I feel sane.

Hearing someone say such judgmental and proclaimed self-righteous things doesn't compel me to agree, it instead repulses me. I feel comforted and thankful that I have not lost empathy for people, appreciation for diversity and the ability to deflect such bitter negativity.

That's sad that people allow their unjustified judgement and conviction of others to ruin the quality of their own life. It really is.

• Minion

ORDDU: It's so sad that some people don't realize that Disney doesn't actually sponsor Gay Days. But what's INFURIATING is the fact that a lot of the same people who criticize Disney for allowing the event actually DO know that Disney isn't sponsoring it--yet they have pretended ignorance of this fact, bearing false witness against the Disney company, while clamoring away for nothing. What a waste of time and energy on the part of so many trouble makers and control freaks!!

• My laughing place

Please reread my post..I never said anything about Disney sponsoring the event. The fact that Disney allows the event at the park is a endorsement of Gays Days. The AFA (as well as others) felt as well as that was unacceptable thus the boycott. People have to stand at times to protest was that feel is wrong even if it has no impact. When people strike a buisness does it always make and impact ? not always but it does make people notice.
    In my post I never made any judgements regarding the gay lifestyle. If people chose that lifestyle than that is something they need to deal with.

• Merry 2014!

just thinking here. . . so if a gun show were on wdw property or leased property with dtd area, would that mean disney endorsed guns?

i am not for or against guns, just trying to understand the logic.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• My laughing place

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico!
    just thinking here. . . so if a gun show were on wdw property or leased property with dtd area, would that mean disney endorsed guns?

i am not for or against guns, just trying to understand the logic.
    Yes, I believe that would show an endorsement from Disney for guns.

• insufferable know-it-all

Gay days happen regardless of whether Disney "allows it". Whether or not Disney allows them to rent space for parties, twice a year Disneyland (or Disneyworld) finds itself with a huge population of red-shirted folks out for a good time. Disney is guilty only of finding a way to at least make some money from it by renting them space.

Our society has decided that we value tolerance, just as 40 years ago society decided to start valuing integration. Those who oppose those values are entitled to their opinion, just as everyone else is entitled to think poorly of them for that opinion.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...